Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

stech81

Helluva Engineer
When is the last time we had fun in football and when will it happen again? I’m serious.
With CGC it won't happen but we will know all about his past cause he loves to talk about his self and how he has done it before at Temple . I think he did a great job at Temple took a team that won 10 games before he got there and improved them to a 7 win team. I guess he wanted to install that culture he talks about . I would say he coached them down not up.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
With CGC it won't happen but we will know all about his past cause he loves to talk about his self and how he has done it before at Temple . I think he did a great job at Temple took a team that won 10 games before he got there and improved them to a 7 win team. I guess he wanted to install that culture he talks about . I would say he coached them down not up.
Man you are always good for a chuckle. You need to go on the road!

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I am trying to take the approach that it is never as bad or as good as it seems. Maybe we are not in as bad a shape as it appeared. My gut says all of the coaches are embarased. They probably should be worried about their future right now. My gut says some of them are about to step up. Maybe Choice will bring out that sledge hammer and give the rest of the coaches a pep talk on what they should be doing.

If I were an assistant I would have a come to Jesus meeting with the coaches and not let the Recruiter run the meeting. He would only be a spectator

Its nut kicking time and there are some assistants coaches there that can get the job done.

We may have a good shot at winning next week if the coaches come together

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
When is the last time we had fun in football and when will it happen again? I’m serious.
I guess it depends on how long of a stretch you're looking for. I had fun with the FSU and Louisville wins last year. Those were fun to watch. Granted they were single games isolated in a rough season. If, huge "if", we could somehow string together a couple wins back to back I'd imagine we'd have fun but I don't have a lot of confidence we can do that again.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I see I am not alone having the feeling that we are going to be wandering the desert for who knows how many more seasons. When the current coaches were hired, I bought into the retoric of the Transition taking 2-3 years. We are in our 3rd season, and the horizon is still 2-3 years away. I'm not gonna lie, it's not fun.

slugboy

Staff member

Late 90’s-2001 were a lot of fun.

For the second part of the question,
1. watching Yates flip and land on his feet Saturday gave me a little reminder of joyful play. I had missed that. A bunch of his plays did.
2. At the rate we’re going, I’m thinking 2023 or so. It could happen earlier, but we need the light bulb to come on in a couple of different positions for that to happen.
For what it’s worth, there were a lot of us shaking their heads and wondering if the coin would ever drop for JoeHam and later for Godsey. Fun happened shortly afterwards.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We
could probably win 7 or 8 games with this team and Temple's schedule. the challenges have gotten tougher being in the ACC. Duke was behind at the half when they played Temple in the 2018 bowl game. Duke held them scoreless in the second half and scored over 50 total against what GC brought with him.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Jordan Yates. The progress in him is huge. CDP gets a LOT of credit from me for getting him ready to come in as a backup and run the offense.
Last year, Jordan pretty much only went into games after the team's sole was crushed and defeat was all but certain. We got to see him play a game with the hope of winning still there. That makes a big difference.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Last year, Jordan pretty much only went into games after the team's sole was crushed and defeat was all but certain. We got to see him play a game with the hope of winning still there. That makes a big difference.
We needed a stop on that last drive and he would have pulled it out.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That's one of the reasons I liked the TO. Tech is the Milwaukee Brewers of college football. We don't have the $100M budgets, the huge fanbases, the swag sales. We're a small, niche school and we need a Moneyball approach to playing the game. The Brewers don't pay big salaries, they can't. They have developed an approach that works for them and they are disciplined enough to manage it.

We talk about winning the ACC or being Top 20. Go check out all of the other programs that are saying that and see how we stack up. It isn't pretty. Without an advantage, it will be very, very difficult to be relevant.

In today's world, I'm fine with being competitive in basketball, baseball and golf and at least have fun in football. The gap however, is growing by leaps every year.

There are many systems that would work at GT and that would give us an advantage. However, you need coaches that can develop and implement their schemes. As good as schemes are, coaches also need to be willing to adjust. Look at Monken and Bohannon. Both are CPJ disciples, but both understood that modern defenses and defensive players have evolved...and they tweaked their offenses to adjust to them. Many of CPJ's schemes are being used today, being repackaged to be recruiting friendly (Read the Sports Illustrated article about that).

Friedgen ran a system that was ahead of its time that used option reads and dual threat QBs. I promise you if he came back to coach our offense, we'd average 30+ points a game against today's defenses. If you listen to his philosophy on attacking defenses, those principles still stand today. Good coaching is good coaching.

Mike Leach, Godfather of the Air Raid, had early success, and he's still successful to a degree. His disciples have had tremendous success because they understood that the "pure" form of Air Raid that Leach likes to run was being schemed with modern defenders.

Lane Kiffen's offense would have worked here. His passing attack gets a lot of the headlines, but his rushing attack is equally as devastating. His offense averages over 300 yards passing and over 200 yards rushing a game. He's not "out athleting" many teams in the SEC, he just has a good understanding of running and passing offenses, and his schemes work. Nick Saban will be the first in line to tell you Kiffen is a MUCH better play caller and offensive coach than he gets credit for. Against Alabama, who has the apex of defensive players, Kiffen put up 48 points, 365 yards passing, and 268 yards rushing. That's over 600 HUNDRED yards against Saban's vaunted defense. You dont' think that offense would work here?

Point is, there's isn't just one answer in terms of offense or defense that will work at GT. I agree that GT needs a "system", and a coach that's an expert at it. It doesn't necessarily need to be a CPJ spread option variant.