Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I've worked with all sorts of great functional managers (Director of Engineering, Finance, whatever) who were disasters as the General Manager. They just weren't well-rounded enough to really understand how the business worked in total. Happy to sail over Niagra Falls in a barrel.

When asked how things were going and what his plan was for 2H, Collins quipped, "We need to get a three and out and put on a good drive." Not exactly earth shattering analysis.

I'm just musing but, why not fire Patenude today and hire Mark Richt? He's done as a head coach but might bring Geoff the stability he needs. He's close and there's no buyout.
Heart issues and GT are a really bad combination.

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins has poor game management skills.... Are we to just endure his lack of abilities, while he learns? We deserve better.
We deserve better?
A fan base that doesn’t fill the stadium and doesn’t give to the athletic program gets what it gets period. They took a gamble on this guy and boom here we are. We got what we deserved.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Air Raid? Might work with Yates. Because no way Sims can do it from what I saw last night.

And while we are on that, what the heck was CGC looking at that made him start Sims over Yates?
Some guys are gamers. Yates seems that way to me. I suspect we don’t do a great job of replicating game situations in practice….. in other words coaching

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yep. The problem with option 2 (more so than option 1) is that that staff or HC will be short lived for GT - they’ll get hired away as soon as they have success. With Option 1 a lot of the cfb world will stay away. We were living in exactly that world. It was better than this horror show. We should have seen this coming - lots of us did.

I believe standing still due to fear of the unknown is not a successful and proactive strategy. Perhaps when all is said and done this hire will go down with the tragic B--- L---- hire as an all time blunder. But it doesn't make the 'do nothing' alternative attractive in hindsight. And, yes, this IS bad.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yep. The problem with option 2 (more so than option 1) is that that staff or HC will be short lived for GT - they’ll get hired away as soon as they have success. With Option 1 a lot of the cfb world will stay away. We were living in exactly that world. It was better than this horror show. We should have seen this coming - lots of us did.
That is why I was such a verbal supporter of the decision to bring CPJ to the flats. I could see how $$ was driving college football away from any type of parity. Now, to be honest, I did not fathom how difficult recruiting defensive players, especially in the front 7, would be in his system. It was frustrating that we could not get a high 3 star or 4 star D linemen or linebacker hardly ever.

But, I did believe if we brought in a guy (maybe Monken) who had a better personality and might make the system "more fun" to play in, we might change this in a positive direction. Basically, breathe new life into the option persona.

I really don't know where we go from here, because I believe GT and the current coaching staff is "damaged goods" at this point. I could be wrong, but I think it goes downhill from here. I hope I am wrong.

slugboy

Staff member
Yates was putting the ball on the receivers numbers and face masks. I didn't expect it and was delighted to see it.

Sims was putting the ball on the grass. I expected more from all the preseason hype.

There were film shorts that were shared from practice, and our passes didn’t look much like spirals at all. Yates at least looked better than that. It’s so easy to say “we have problems with our throwing mechanics” when you never played QB (and I never did), but I see us throw a lot of terrible balls.
I was glad to see Yates throw it better last night, but I still think a lot of that passing will get us picked off against the upper tier of our opponents.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I've worked with all sorts of great functional managers (Director of Engineering, Finance, whatever) who were disasters as the General Manager. They just weren't well-rounded enough to really understand how the business worked in total. Happy to sail over Niagra Falls in a barrel.

When asked how things were going and what his plan was for 2H, Collins quipped, "We need to get a three and out and put on a good drive." Not exactly earth shattering analysis.

I'm just musing but, why not fire Patenude today and hire Mark Richt? He's done as a head coach but might bring Geoff the stability he needs. He's close and there's no buyout.
It is a thought, Vespidae, but I don't think Richt's health (he has Parkinsons) would allow for him to coach, but maybe I am wrong. He appeared very weak on the Huddle show yesterday.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We deserve better?
A fan base that doesn’t fill the stadium and doesn’t give to the athletic program gets what it gets period. They took a gamble on this guy and boom here we are. We got what we deserved.
To be fair, Tech can raise money. Not Alabama money, but definitely Top 30 money. The problem is the AA is terrible at money management and has piles and piles of debt. That's been our Achilles heel for decades.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer

Ignoring the obvious of why people would lose their mind if we hired Richt I just don’t see him doing it with his Parkinson’s diagnosis and cushy acc network job. Much less stressful and better job security

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Did you watch the game on TV?I am really concerned about where Coach Richt is with his Parkinson's disease. It was painful to watch in all seriousness. i will preempt the obligatory comments about the same being true about our offense by acknowledging that fact. But CMR did not look good yesetrday.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Ignoring the obvious of why people would lose their mind if we hired Richt I just don’t see him doing it with his Parkinson’s diagnosis and cushy acc network job. Much less stressful and better job security
Fair enough. But we need coaching competence on the sidelines and we don't have it.

GTBlaze

Banned
Wow is about all I can say. I have been a Tech fan my entire life. Had family and friends play football at Tech

yesterday was the first tech game I have been to in several years because I do not live in Atlanta

all I can say is that I am in complete shock in every aspect of this football program.

the tailgating was absolutely boring and weak. We got down to the game around 4:30 to walk around and it literally felt like we were about to attend a funeral

wtf up is up with the right seating. We have season tickets and were basically sitting on top of each other. We are not far over weight people. Sitting in there like sardines and the stadium only had 30,000 in attendance

the pa announcer sounded like a high school jamboree

the bathrooms were flooded with sewage

the concessions didn’t even have straws or napkins? Wtf!

the sound system in the stadium was awful

I have seriously been to high school games with better atmosphere and production elements was just an overall horrible experience and a total waste of time and huge disappointment

Mitch was a beautiful and perfect night in Atlanta weather wise. I can’t imagine going to another game this season sitting in the sun baking like bacon

it was the most expensive uncomfortable football game I have ever been tothe people sitting behind us was annoyed when we were standing and yelling for our team
What a total waste of money on season tickets. I will not be attending another game this season (even if we were winning games)

the entire game day experience was just awful and to top it off, the product that was put on the field was an absolute joke

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think everyone on this forum wants a well coached football team. I don’t care who coaches them. Just a well coached team.
Game prep, decisions in the red zone, fourth down decisions, short situation play calling, run vs pass decisions, clock management, and substitution timing are just obvious coaching issues needing improvement. I also question getting the best players on the field.
Thats nice...glad you had a good time crapping on some of us that saw this used car salesman for what he was early on. Oh and Patenaude is a good coach.
I agree that coach P is a knowledgeable coach, probably even very knowledgeable. I strongely disagree with his red zone and short yardage playcalling (mostly passing on second down with less than 3 yards to get a first). He consistently kills drives. He did it again early in the game on second and 2 and again we wound up not keeping the drive going, and more importantly not scoring. And how many times did he call the option? Once. If that play had been at mid field it would have been a 50 yard TD. That is an ideal play for Yates and Donte and we should see it often in a game, especially red zone.. Our OL is OK run blocking but in developmental phase pass blocking. Until the OL is improved we should run more, run more, run more and incorporate Yates skill on the option. The need for a balaced attack is a myth with our current OL..

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
My impression of the game, just from being in the stadium last night is that the team looked very bad. I haven't watched the broadcast yet, and I'm not sure that I am going to.

The team looked unprepared. On defense, we substituted when NIU did not. We started running two or three guys in as they were lining up, and the guys running off the field barely made it. We used a timeout once because the guys were still hat the hash mark, if I recall correctly. On the first NIU drive, NIU snapped the ball while the defense was still getting organized about how to line up. On second and two at the goal line, we ran what I remember as a fake sweep, delayed draw. At the two yard line, the ball was held still three yards behind the line before it started moving forwards.

From an overhead perspective, we look like a pick up team that is playing against a team that practices together. Some of the time it looks like we don't know what we are doing, and some of the time we run flashy plays that don't gain anything. Whether that is on the players or coaching, I can't say for certain, but I lean more towards most of it being on the coaches.