Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone agree that there is improvement from years 1-2 to 3? I believe so for offense and special teams, but our defense actually seems worse than in ‘19
I agree. there is LOTs of improvement. But my god man we sucked so bad, I mean we really really really sucked then. So of course we are better. But we still suck bad. We are a completely crap team now. But better than those years of total master suck level of bad. Such bad coaching from the OC, DC and Head coach. I dont get how we can suck so bad and the team is still behind the coach. Usually when you see this level of suckatude the team has quit on the coaches. But they haven't. So that makes the job they are doing that much worse.

Have I mentioned how bad we suck as a team due to bad coaching taken to a whole new level of suckness. This is master suck level with bonus points. This is end game suck level. We have entered We Suck Coachageddon Total Destruction the final level.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What can we reasonably expect for Tech? Do we really think we are going to bring in a proven winner? I doubt it. Not with our facilities and our debt. Look at some of the lower tier programs (South Alabama, UAB, Kennesaw, etc) and they are all building brand new facilities with a nice game day atmosphere at a fraction of the cost of our program.

I'm not sold on Geoff. But, he is the only guy that ran INTO the burning building and for that, I'm a wait and see guy. I honestly don't know who would want the job, so godspeed and good luck. Perhaps we will be in a different place in two more years. But did we really have to wander in the desert for 5 years after CPJ? Maybe we did ... but without an "edge" ... I think we will struggle against almost anyone in the Top 25.
Well … there were, I think, at least two coaches - Moncken and Bohannon - who would have jumped into the burning building with gusto and who would have given the program continuity. I think what you mean is that for coaches who weren't going to run the TO, Collins was the best choice we had at the time.

Our present situation reminds me of GSU after they fired Sewak (for about the same reasons, apparently). They went through two coaches before they settled on Moncken and brought back the TO. I think that unless things improve - and they very well could - we may have to go back to the original drawing board too.

I know a lot of people don't want to see that happen. But I want Tech competitive in the ACC and that isn't happening either. Maybe the King was right:

Very relevant lyrics for more then Tech football, btw.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Our defensive SP+ rank last week was 47. UVA’s offense was 15. I think it’ll take a dip after this past week, but they were expected to win that matchup.

What numbers are you using?
FEI rankings. If I remember correctly we were like 75th last week. We looked every bit of that on Saturday.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
The question I have based on the roster will the D improve next year? I would love to hear those who have a better pulse on the situation. I think the O will continue to improve if Sims can cut down on his turnovers.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Before the UVA game, our defense was rated higher in SP+ and FEI than it had been in years.

There’s no way it’s worse than it was in 2019

Opponent Points per play (lower is better)
2020 (weird year)0.457
Well your comparing a full schedule played vs. 5-6 games. It felt like we had turned a corner on D after Clemson and UNC, now not so much. We’ll see how well they regroup for the rest of the season, I hope that Pitt and UVA are the modt prolific offenses that we face and become the outliers. Worried about ND and uga.....

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree. there is LOTs of improvement. But my god man we sucked so bad, I mean we really really really sucked then. So of course we are better. But we still suck bad. We are a completely crap team now. But better than those years of total master suck level of bad. Such bad coaching from the OC, DC and Head coach. I dont get how we can suck so bad and the team is still behind the coach. Usually when you see this level of suckatude the team has quit on the coaches. But they haven't. So that makes the job they are doing that much worse.

Have I mentioned how bad we suck as a team due to bad coaching taken to a whole new level of suckness. This is master suck level with bonus points. This is end game suck level. We have entered We Suck Coachageddon Total Destruction the final level.
But the players are having fun 😊

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Take two aspirin and don't call me in the morning.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well … there were, I think, at least two coaches - Moncken and Bohannon - who would have jumped into the burning building with gusto and who would have given the program continuity. I think what you mean is that for coaches who weren't going to run the TO, Collins was the best choice we had at the time.

Our present situation reminds me of GSU after they fired Sewak (for about the same reasons, apparently). They went through two coaches before they settled on Moncken and brought back the TO. I think that unless things improve - and they very well could - we may have to go back to the original drawing board too.

I know a lot of people don't want to see that happen. But I want Tech competitive in the ACC and that isn't happening either. Maybe the King was right:

Very relevant lyrics for more then Tech football, btw.

I am not going to reignite the Johnson/Collins argument. It's a dead horse and what is done is done.I am trying to hang in there with Collins -- I have been a Tech fan too long not to -- but every week it seems to spiral toward insignificance. If one does not like the spread option, the triple O, I won't try to convince you of its efficacy vs. whatever it is we run now. I thought the Clemson game signaled a turnaround, but then it turned out Clemson really, in relative terms, sucks.

What I do see is this, from the TV lens view: there was far more passion and enthusiasm on a Johnson sideline, starting with the head ball coach, than on a Collins sideline, One could not only sense, but see, Johnson's seething competitive juices roiling. Now? I see an insurance office. Take a number.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This thread has wandered off the "Fire Geoff Collins" topic. There are other places to discuss our roster and on field performance.
On-field performance through the coach‘s tenure, and improvement or lack thereof isn’t relevant to the discussion?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My take on this is that posts criticizing play calling or defense in the UVA game belong in the UVA Postgame thread. If you want to say that being in 6th place in the Coastal is a firing offence, this is the thread. Posts saying that our coach is not worth the $23M we agreed to pay him, this is the place. If you want to post regarding trends over his tenure, then I agree with you that this is the correct thread.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You know the bottom line is we just are not a very good football team right now. We have not been one for a good while and Coach Collins probably wakes up every morning trying to figure out how we can get better. Sometimes you just have to look in the mirror and face it. The guys we are playing are just better football players than our guys. I love our guys but until we find some better football players we are going to remain a below-average football program.

I watched Juanyeh Thomas' interview after the Virginia game and he was very sad and hung his head for the best part of the interview. I was thinking, you know here is a young man who has invested 4 years of his life, playing for Tech and he is been told, over and over how good he is and how good his secondary teammates are but he has finally come to the realization that it is just not going to happen for him. His hopes and dreams of being an All-American and playing on Sundays are just not going to happen. At the end of the day, he just doesn't have the skill set to play the game at a level that would make those dreams come true. He is not by himself. 98% of the guys playing the game suffer the same fate. That's why that Tech degree has so much value for these young men.

I think a lot of us fans are like that. We think our team is going to be good, every year and we just can not understand how we could lose games to schools like Northern Illinois and Virginia. My God, few have even ever heard of the first and the Cavaliers are a wine and cheese, soccer/basketball school. No way we should lose to those types of teams. But the reality is we are nowhere near having the type of program that can compete at the top level of the game. Most of us can not accept that but that indeed is the truth. Geoff Collins has had 3 years almost to get things moving in a different direction. So far, he has had little success. He probably will be around another year or two if he can't find some better football players. We just have to hope somehow that happens and some of these recruits prove to be better football players than the guys we are lining up against.

Go Jackets!

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
What many of you fail to realize (because you were never recruited or had to recruit) is that Bama and uga and other tier 1 programs recruit top talent in MIDDLE SCHOOL. That gives them 6 years to build a relationship. We have been going after top talent for only 3 years, with one of those years no in person recruiting. We are now building relationships in HS freshmen and middle school players that will stick with us. Sure the big programs can offer late, but with the relationships we have, we will get them. It's not a 1 or 2 year step to go from 2.5 star to 4 & 5 star. the fact we got several 4 star is due simply to our recruiting ability and getting "late blooming talent". Just be patient and donate!

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
What many of you fail to realize (because you were never recruited or had to recruit) is that Bama and uga and other tier 1 programs recruit top talent in MIDDLE SCHOOL. That gives them 6 years to build a relationship. We have been going after top talent for only 3 years, with one of those years no in person recruiting. We are now building relationships in HS freshmen and middle school players that will stick with us. Sure the big programs can offer late, but with the relationships we have, we will get them. It's not a 1 or 2 year step to go from 2.5 star to 4 & 5 star. the fact we got several 4 star is due simply to our recruiting ability and getting "late blooming talent". Just be patient and donate!
The bamas and ugas are the ones that we hear about offering 8th graders and freshmen in high school but almost every school does that (at least in terms of getting in contact with young recruits and building relationships). You're asking a very reasonable task out of our fanbase to just be patient, but fans as a whole are neither reasonable or patient. I think just as you do things will come together for this team sooner than later but patience is key

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
You know the bottom line is we just are not a very good football team right now. We have not been one for a good while and Coach Collins probably wakes up every morning trying to figure out how we can get better. Sometimes you just have to look in the mirror and face it. The guys we are playing are just better football players than our guys. I love our guys but until we find some better football players we are going to remain a below-average football program.

I watched Juanyeh Thomas' interview after the Virginia game and he was very sad and hung his head for the best part of the interview. I was thinking, you know here is a young man who has invested 4 years of his life, playing for Tech and he is been told, over and over how good he is and how good his secondary teammates are but he has finally come to the realization that it is just not going to happen for him. His hopes and dreams of being an All-American and playing on Sundays are just not going to happen. At the end of the day, he just doesn't have the skill set to play the game at a level that would make those dreams come true. He is not by himself. 98% of the guys playing the game suffer the same fate. That's why that Tech degree has so much value for these young men.

I think a lot of us fans are like that. We think our team is going to be good, every year and we just can not understand how we could lose games to schools like Northern Illinois and Virginia. My God, few have even ever heard of the first and the Cavaliers are a wine and cheese, soccer/basketball school. No way we should lose to those types of teams. But the reality is we are nowhere near having the type of program that can compete at the top level of the game. Most of us can not accept that but that indeed is the truth. Geoff Collins has had 3 years almost to get things moving in a different direction. So far, he has had little success. He probably will be around another year or two if he can't find some better football players. We just have to hope somehow that happens and some of these recruits prove to be better football players than the guys we are lining up against.

Go Jackets!
Not many believe we are on par with the tier 1 programs in college football but we are far more talented than a 3 win team. The talent is here it's just young and inexperienced. When we field a team that's mostly upperclassmen I have no doubt that people's perception of our level of talent will change

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Well that’s the season. We will not get a bowl game. I don’t see us picking up 3 wins between BC, UM, ND and uGA. It sucks. But we just look lost out there.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
No improvement. Just flat, unprepared, weak effort… poor game planning. I see no improvement no matter how many excuses made.

Slowly but surely the CGC fanboys will fade out with every losing season until there aren’t any GT fanboys.