Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech football has been important to me for 45+ years and to my family for 70+ years. When I see someone running the program who is in over his head, it is disheartening. I don't like it, but it is what it is. Hopefully he starts winning soon. I don't have much confidence in that however. I thought a fan message board was where I could express those frustrations. 😐

Did you see what he's wearing? 🤣

I thought we were going to play at Clemson, right? Not NYU so we could go clubbing in Manhattan tonight.

Nothing about him says he is a serious football coach with an understanding of how to run a program to get wins against any type of competition (FBS, FCS, anyone else). He knows how to get on social media. He knows how to get a meal at Waffle House. I prefer wins.

Like I said, I hope he proves me wrong and wins out this year and I'll come back and eat crow.

And no, I AM NOT jealous of the skinny pants and no socks with dress shoes. 😂

His dressing style isn't my "cup of tea" either. However it seems like you're literally looking for every single angle to throw shade at him.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
I've never encountered a coach with as much disdain for the supporters as Geoff.
This statement, if true, is very consequential as it speaks negatively beyond CGC's win-loss record and suggests he possesses a major character flaw. Do you have any concrete and specific examples that would indicate CGC has a disdain for GT supporters?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This statement, if true, is very consequential as speaks negatively beyond CGC's win-loss record and suggests he possesses a major character flaw. Do you have any concrete and specific examples that would indicate CGC has a disdain for GT supporters?
Do you want me to cite quotes from his pressers? He has pretty much suggested that he doesn't really care what the fans think, he's here for the players. And I get that.

But you don't get very far with just players. Cut off the money tap, and resources dry up quickly. Look at the renewal on season tix and the AT fund contributions for insights.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you want me to cite quotes from his pressers? He has pretty much suggested that he doesn't really care what the fans think, he's here for the players. And I get that.

But you don't get very far with just players. Cut off the money tap, and resources dry up quickly. Look at the renewal on season tix and the AT fund contributions for insights.
Yes, I would be interested to see a quote from a CGC pressor that indicates he possesses disdain, not ambivalence, mind you, but disdain, for GT supporters because I have yet to see any evidence of this myself. I'm open to being enlightened, however.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Bolded this part because it is key to me. We are building the aircraft landing gear while we are on final approach. It isn't an ideal situation and I think we have seen the staff over index on the auxiliary stuff without showing the progress externally to fans on the execution aspects of playing the game. I do get confidence listening to CDP and CAT that the guys are working on their craft and remain, ever the optimist, focused on doing my part as a fan and supporter of the Institute.

I don't have a major issue with anyone other than the the last group of fans I identify below. The Miserables won't be sated until they get their pound of flesh with firings and I am not convinced we are in a position to upgrade anyone on staff that would make appreciable difference to where we are today.

Midtown's Compendium of GT Fanaticals:

1) PULL FOR THE TEAM REGARDLESS
I think this group is sick of hearing the piling on because it is just like being kicked while down. We want to get past this phase of our sport's history. They just are starving for something good to happen and trying to keep afloat. Small % of our fans

2) COULD BE CONVINCED BUT NEED MORE FROM CGC AND STAFF
This group of our fanbase is taking a practical look and saying things like, "We don't have to like him, but he is our coach for a while given the contract and the $$ required to do something different". These fans want things to improve but also are comfortable airing out their distaste with the direction of the program in focused areas. They also feel like spouting hate is a bad look for the program so tries to damper down the negativity. I think this is the majority of our fanbase.

3) FANS WHO ARE OVER THIS STAFF
This group is smaller than the second, but growing. They are pitchforks sharpened and torches lit. They'll root for the team, the players and the school but are unlikely to be convinced the staff has the capacity to win. They'll short sell our successes and look for rainclouds on a sunny day. Not because they are intentionally trying to bring harm to the program, but because they have lost their hope that this coaching staff can get it done. This is a smaller percentage than the second but larger than the first.

4) THE MISERABLES
They are ready to pile on the complaints and are the person in the stands booing the team. They hate it all and are dancing around, climbing the ladder of chaos. They're like the joker in batman, spewing hate they don't even take time to assess before putting out into the world. They truly sorry ones of us, who will ultimately meet their fate in the banhammer of the mods.
You've got these categories down pretty good.
I could have been mistaken for a group 3 member after NIU, but I'm really in group 2, myself. I want to see improvement but I haven't given up.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I would be interested to see a quote from a CGC pressor that indicates he possesses disdain, not ambivalence, mind you, but disdain, for GT supporters because I have yet to see any evidence of this myself. I'm open to being enlightened, however.
When I have a few free cycles, I'll do it. But in the meantime, listen to how he deals with "unhappy fans". It is pretty much, "I'm not worried what our fans think. I'm here for the players and building an elite program" ... ok, fine. But don't be surprised when donors close their wallets. I think, personally, he is tone deaf to criticism.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Guys, I am not sure asking to keep this thread on the tracks is really applicable, but Collins is not going to be fired for his wardrobe choices (as long as he never goes out wearing red and black). Let's try to focus on his job in this thread and not how he dresses.

If one of you wants a Collins wardrobe thread in the Swarm Lounge start it, DM me, and I will move these posts over there.

Thanks.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

This is what is frustrating to me. The lack of respect maybe (maybe that's the wrong word?) shown toward the fans who are clearly frustrated. I'm on here, The Hive, StingTalk, Facebook, Instagram, watching weekly and post game press conferences, tweets, postings, etc. and just never see anything that TO ME seems like progress toward winning games and showing that the staff understands the frustration level of people right now. It's always about "being elite and the best at everything we do" which is not translating to the field. And there is never a "hey, that NIU game is on me and my staff. Clearly we didn't have them prepared."

I think Ken asked him about frustrated fans in the weekly press conference after NIU and he just smirked and went on a diatribe about how it's about the players and the respect and love they have for each other and blah, blah, blah. I think he'd earn a pass from me if he just was honest and said "they smacked us in the mouth and we didn't respond to it. But trust me, we're going to work 24 hours a day to get this fixed. We won't be out worked and we won't be out coached like we were on Saturday night." Instead, we get how improved we are against the I-AA triple option as compared to two years ago and how many records Temple set when they were there.

In the article in the AJC on what the "money people" were saying, they all basically said we need to get to 6 wins this year. If we go 3-9 and he continues to smirk at questions regarding fan apathy, he's going to be in trouble at some point. Unless he loses those pictures he has of Stansbury...... :rolleyes: ;) 😂

Again, just frustrated about the state of the program and where we seem to be heading. The goofy picture got me even more frustrated and maybe I shouldn't have even posted it, but when you love and care about something as much as I do with regard to Georgia Tech athletics, you hate to see where our football program is right now. Just needed to vent I guess.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Guys, I am not sure asking to keep this thread on the tracks is really applicable, but Collins is not going to be fired for his wardrobe choices (as long as he never goes out wearing red and black). Let's try to focus on his job in this thread and not how he dresses.

If one of you wants a Collins wardrobe thread in the Swarm Lounge start it, DM me, and I will move these posts over there.

Thanks.
Ryan Gosling Lol GIF
Spit Take Lol GIF
The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

Please, oh please someone do this. It will be max ludicris mode, maybe set the link to drop people into StinGTalk :unsure:

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I put myself in that group who is starting to doubt but hopes to be convinced otherwise.

CGC strikes me like some of the prima-donna program leads I've had working for me. They do think that they are the smartest person in the room, the are very dedicated to their team and winning, and they universally treat outside criticism as an attack rather than a gift. They are immature leaders who build teams by circling the wagon around the smallest portion of the stakeholders (their direct team) and fail to realize that is only a very small part of the "team" that is necessary to win. They are disdainful of other groups who are needed to be successful, they see anyone who has concerns about the program as the people who 'don't get it' and almost always go down in flames.

I'm really, really hoping that doesn't happen here. But some of the signs I'm seeing suggest otherwise.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

I don’t think your description of stake holders that he doesn’t care about is accurate from one of your previous* posts. You mentioned students(you can include faculty here too) and Alumni. Both of which he has made strides to improve relations with(specifically alumni players). Donors haven’t truly fallen off as we’ve seen from the AI fund or whatever we raised 175 mil for. Right? Fans and alumni supporters who buy tickets, yes, that hasn’t improved since Geoff has stepped on campus.

Last edited:

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Great point and I totally get it. But we all have different perspectives about what works and why. I get that the Young Turks look at me as some old fart who has done this at a very high level for 40 years as out of touch, but I've seen what works in over 100+ countries and it doesn't change much. Substance beats style every time.

I'm hoping Geoff proves me wrong. But the odds are against him.

PS. There is a big difference between coaching a team and leading a program. You can coach a team (players, assistants, etc) but if you lose the stakeholders (students, alumni, donors, money) you're finished. Players come and go. Geoff has pretty much flipped a finger to the stakeholders and I've seen this before too ... he better win and win big or ... he'll be either playing golf at Pawely's Island or working at ****'s Sporting Goods. In all my years of being around college sports, I've never encountered a coach with as much disdain for the supporters as Geoff. But maybe he is just smarter than everyone. At least that is what he communicates.

What is funny is that this is word for word what the malcontents said about the previous guy. He just won enough out of the gate to shut them up. Here's hoping CGC does the same soon, no offense!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think your description of stake holders that he doesn’t care about is accurate from one of your precious posts. You mentioned students(you can include faculty here too) and Alumni. Both of which he has made strides to improve relations with(specifically alumni players). Donors haven’t truly fallen off as we’ve seen from the AI fund or whatever we raised 175 mil for. Right? Fans and alumni supporters who buy tickets, yes, that hasn’t improved since Geoff has stepped on campus.
Ok. Fair enough. I haven't followed it for the last two years, but if all the funding coming in supports the program, great! What got Butch Jones at UT fired wasn't that he had lost the locker room (which he had) or that he was a clown (he was) or that he struggled with the local media and alumni (both who thought he was an idiot) ... it was the renewal rates on skyboxes and the empty seats in Neyland.

My point is in ANY PROGRAM (sports, business, church) it isn't just who does the work that counts, there is a whole ecosystem that has to be appealed to if you are going to get results. If I had any advice for Geoff, I would say ... Consider your environment. He's not in Southern Cal. He's at a southern, conservative technical institute ... most of which can't match their socks, much less wear tailored suits without them. The Tech alumni hated Pepper Rogers despite the fact he had coached at UCLA ... why? He had a perm and did cartwheels and in their opinion, real men don't do that. (You can debate whether that is valid or not, but you can't debate that it was a fact.)

I think Geoff would be FAR more successful if he spoke to his audience (of stakeholders) in terms of process, because ... that is what we understand.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
What is funny is that this is word for word what the malcontents said about the previous guy. He just won enough out of the gate to shut them up. Here's hoping CGC does the same soon, no offense!

I feel like those against Paul Johnson were more against his offense and poor recruiting than his lack of recognition of the program's supporters. I've seen Johnson at the golf team fundraiser talking it up with fans and being very personable. I think when things started going more in a downward trend, his *****ly press conferences became more of an issue. But I don't think that was toward the fans, but I could be forgetting something specific.

I will say that I readily referred to Johnson's press conference demeanor as "sour puss" even though I liked him and the perceived advantage he gave us on game day.