Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
well, I didn't see Bohannon lighting any players up on the sidelines yesterday, screaming at referees, or generally carrying on.

I guess he must be worthless to some of you guys now.

what I did see from him was a team that fought hard all game long even when the outcome was not in question. there was a part of me that was happy for them when they scored their TD's late in the game. That is a trait of a coach who has command and the respect of his team.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
what I did see from him was a team that fought hard all game long even when the outcome was not in question. there was a part of me that was happy for them when they scored their TD's late in the game. That is a trait of a coach who has command and the respect of his team.

Don't disagree, but there's probably 50 posts in this thread about Collins not screaming at players or refs, or criticizing players in post game interviews. There is also another 50 posts about how Bohannon is the savior of Tech football. Some wanted him here last Monday.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Congrats, man…you’ve been on this planet A LOT longer than I have. CLEARLY, my fandom doesn’t compare to your’s because of that.

I’ve given my life to Tech, so you can GTFO with all that noise.

Dude, calm down with jumping everyone with a differing opinion. Hopefully you'll be around for a long time to continue your support, but just because someone has been around for a long time and supported the program doesn't mean they need to be talked down to. This isn't StinkTalk.... ;)

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
No
I will say, I was watching his presser this week and my wife walked by (she played high level golf and basketball growing up and comes from a family of athletes so has been around coaches her whole life) and said that he is like a caricature of a positive coach. She likened him to almost playing an SNL skit about coaches. I get that people don't like the schtick and losing while doing anything that suggests he is focused on anything other than winning the game doesn't help him.

That said, as a grown man I couldn't care less what his sartorial slant is. I rock no socks when the occasion is appropriate and have most of my suits tailored (though not to the extreme level he does) but don't care at all. Win or Lose is ultimately what will matter. Winning the right way will make all of this noise go away. I can not wait for that day. Let's go beat Clemson.

Proud Of You Reaction GIF

Agree. It's ironic that the folks who always said it's about winning are the ones harping on the extraneous stuff. Wearing funky suits and talking hype doesn't make a loss count more than it does when the coach is super serious and firm

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Did you see what he's wearing? 🤣

I thought we were going to play at Clemson, right? Not NYU so we could go clubbing in Manhattan tonight.

Nothing about him says he is a serious football coach with an understanding of how to run a program to get wins against any type of competition (FBS, FCS, anyone else). He knows how to get on social media. He knows how to get a meal at Waffle House. I prefer wins.

Like I said, I hope he proves me wrong and wins out this year and I'll come back and eat crow.

And no, I AM NOT jealous of the skinny pants and no socks with dress shoes. 😂
We get it, man…you’re old af and not hip. Sorry, it’s not 2003 anymore. Sorry, the baggy untailored suits are no longer in style. His suit is literally almost identical to what Miles Brooks is wearing in his photo. Get with the times.

Look, I don’t care for a lot of the extra ra ra stuff either. Am I upset that we’re not currently 2-0? Sure. Do I let it ruin my life? No. I sure as hell ain’t miserable enough to go on a message board and nit pick things OUTSIDE of football, only with intention to make fun of Coach Collins. Get a life.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
No

Agree. It's ironic that the folks who always said it's about winning are the ones harping on the extraneous stuff. Wearing funky suits and talking hype doesn't make a loss count more than it does when the coach is super serious and firm
Just to poke at this ... I worked in corporate for a top 50 firm. We had sartorial style. And yes ... once you PROVED yourself, you could wear jeans or whatever. But until you did, you were a wannabe.

Geoff may be the greatest gift to coaching of all time, but all I see is Big Hat, No Cattle. His record speaks for itself. It’s up to him to set it straight.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
We get it, man…you’re old af and not hip. Sorry, it’s not 2003 anymore. Sorry, the baggy untailored suits are no longer in style. His suit is literally almost identical to what Miles Brooks is wearing in his photo. Get with the times.

Look, I don’t care for a lot of the extra ra ra stuff either. Am I upset that we’re not currently 2-0? Sure. Do I let it ruin my life? No. I sure as hell ain’t miserable enough to go on a message board and nit pick things OUTSIDE of football, only with intention to make fun of Coach Collins. Get a life.

Sorry. Sounds like we're both committed to Georgia Tech and want us to do well. I'm sorry you have to resort to personal attacks. You have no idea how old I am, what my support level is or anything else. It is frustrating when you see something you care so much about turn in to a joke with someone leading the program who you think is in over his head. Yes, I took a shot at his clothes, which I find to be humorous. Maybe you don't, and that's fine. Just chill on attacking other fans who are frustrated with the state of the program. I'm not getting $3+ million a year to lead the program, but I do contribute every year and have for decades.

I didn't provide a great deal of respect to Collins, but I think that's part of his job as the figurehead of the team. No need to take pot shots at fans who are frustrated with the state of the program.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Just to poke at this ... I worked in corporate for a top 50 firm. We had sartorial style. And yes ... once you PROVED yourself, you could wear jeans or whatever. But until you did, you were a wannabe.

Geoff may be the greatest gift to coaching of all time, but all I see is Big Hat, No Cattle. His record speaks for itself. It’s up to him to set it straight.

It's a lot more common to come in with the flash right upfront, now. Granted, it's still only going to get you so far. But as far as TStan is concerned, we are basically 2 games into the first year that really even counts, performance-wise. We can argue about that, but it's the reality based on contract length and every public statement he has made.

The hype was meant to energize recruiting and keep the fans somewhat engaged while we were losing. But this is the year that we were at least supposed to start winning. So I want to let it play out.

Last edited:

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
It's a lot more common to come in with the flash right upfront, now. Granted, it's still only going to get you so far. But as far as TStan is concerned, we are basically 2 games into the first year that really even counts, performance-wise. We can argue about that, but it's the reality based on contract length and every public statement he has made

Agree, but also disagree. Due to the length of the contract, he's likely not in as much trouble as he would be with a normal 5 year deal. However, the losses he's suffered (The Citadel, Clemson, UGA, Va. Tech, NIU, Syracuse, etc.) reduces the slack he'd be given if he had won some of those or, at least, not gotten beaten down as badly. If he beats The Citadel and NIU and loses to Clemson, UGA and Va. Tech by 25 instead of 45-66, he's likely in better shape than he is in now.

The issue I see is that he and his staff are showing that they aren't prepared during the game and, perhaps, in the lead up to the game. See the lack of game management skills, poor game planning (constant three and outs by throwing the ball against Clemson last year), etc.

If we had beaten The Citadel in Year 1, beaten Syracuse last year, been more competitive against Clemson/UGA/Va. Tech and were 2-0 right now, I think there is a huge difference the perception of the program and Collins himself. So even 4-8, 4-6, 2-0 is a major difference than 3-9, 3-7 and 1-1.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's a lot more common to come in with the flash right upfront, now. Granted, it's still only going to get you so far. But as far as TStan is concerned, we are basically 2 games into the first year that really even counts, performance-wise. We can argue about that, but it's the reality based on contract length and every public statement he has made
Great point and I totally get it. But we all have different perspectives about what works and why. I get that the Young Turks look at me as some old fart who has done this at a very high level for 40 years as out of touch, but I've seen what works in over 100+ countries and it doesn't change much. Substance beats style every time.

I'm hoping Geoff proves me wrong. But the odds are against him.

PS. There is a big difference between coaching a team and leading a program. You can coach a team (players, assistants, etc) but if you lose the stakeholders (students, alumni, donors, money) you're finished. Players come and go. Geoff has pretty much flipped a finger to the stakeholders and I've seen this before too ... he better win and win big or ... he'll be either playing golf at Pawely's Island or working at ****'s Sporting Goods. In all my years of being around college sports, I've never encountered a coach with as much disdain for the supporters as Geoff. But maybe he is just smarter than everyone. At least that is what he communicates.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Bolded this part because it is key to me. We are building the aircraft landing gear while we are on final approach. It isn't an ideal situation and I think we have seen the staff over index on the auxiliary stuff without showing the progress externally to fans on the execution aspects of playing the game. I do get confidence listening to CDP and CAT that the guys are working on their craft and remain, ever the optimist, focused on doing my part as a fan and supporter of the Institute.

I don't have a major issue with anyone other than the the last group of fans I identify below. The Miserables won't be sated until they get their pound of flesh with firings and I am not convinced we are in a position to upgrade anyone on staff that would make appreciable difference to where we are today.

Midtown's Compendium of GT Fanaticals:

1) PULL FOR THE TEAM REGARDLESS
I think this group is sick of hearing the piling on because it is just like being kicked while down. We want to get past this phase of our sport's history. They just are starving for something good to happen and trying to keep afloat. Small % of our fans

2) COULD BE CONVINCED BUT NEED MORE FROM CGC AND STAFF
This group of our fanbase is taking a practical look and saying things like, "We don't have to like him, but he is our coach for a while given the contract and the $$ required to do something different". These fans want things to improve but also are comfortable airing out their distaste with the direction of the program in focused areas. They also feel like spouting hate is a bad look for the program so tries to damper down the negativity. I think this is the majority of our fanbase.

3) FANS WHO ARE OVER THIS STAFF
This group is smaller than the second, but growing. They are pitchforks sharpened and torches lit. They'll root for the team, the players and the school but are unlikely to be convinced the staff has the capacity to win. They'll short sell our successes and look for rainclouds on a sunny day. Not because they are intentionally trying to bring harm to the program, but because they have lost their hope that this coaching staff can get it done. This is a smaller percentage than the second but larger than the first.

4) THE MISERABLES
They are ready to pile on the complaints and are the person in the stands booing the team. They hate it all and are dancing around, climbing the ladder of chaos. They're like the joker in batman, spewing hate they don't even take time to assess before putting out into the world. They truly sorry ones of us, who will ultimately meet their fate in the banhammer of the mods.

slugboy

Staff member
Jesus, who dresses this guy????

241508227_4242889855766036_6066212726151648421_n.jpg

I hate to say it, but my dislike for Collins grows more and more every day. I've lived through Pepper, Curry, Ross, Lewis, O'Leary, Gailey and Johnson. Gave him the benefit of the doubt after The Citadel, Clemson, Syracuse, Va. Tech, and UGA, but to lose to NIU, look ok against KSU and then the press conferences where everyone is "ELITE" and the culture and nothing that even hints at "we screwed up, we'll get better, it's on us as coaches, etc.".......he's killing my love of Georgia Tech football. I hope he turns it around and we win every game, but I've never felt to bad about Georgia Tech football. Ever. Even when Lewis was here. At least we had O'Leary waiting in the wings. 😔

I'm not a dress-shoes-without-socks guy, but that's current suit style
GQ Linen Suits.png

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Great point and I totally get it. But we all have different perspectives about what works and why. I get that the Young Turks look at me as some old fart who has done this at a very high level for 40 years as out of touch, but I've seen what works in over 100+ countries and it doesn't change much. Substance beats style every time.

I'm hoping Geoff proves me wrong. But the odds are against him.

PS. There is a big difference between coaching a team and leading a program. You can coach a team (players, assistants, etc) but if you lose the stakeholders (students, alumni, donors, money) you're finished. Players come and go. Geoff has pretty much flipped a finger to the stakeholders and I've seen this before too ... he better win and win big or ... he'll be either playing golf at Pawely's Island or working at ****'s Sporting Goods. In all my years of being around college sports, I've never encountered a coach with as much disdain for the supporters as Geoff. But maybe he is just smarter than everyone. At least that is what he communicates.

Couldn't agree more, particularly with the bold statement. I think everyone WANTS him to succeed, but a lot of us just don't see him doing anything to get the support of the stakeholders, i.e. the people who buy tickets, donate money and attend games. If you lose them, you've dug a hole you'll have a tough time getting out of.

Again, I was told two years ago by another poster that "he doesn't care what you think. He only cares about the players and recruiting." That may well be true, and based on his press conferences, I fully believe it, but I've interacted with coaches at Tech going back to Jim Luck and have never seen any of them disregard his base as much as Collins. I hope I'm wrong. I hope he goes undefeated here on out. I was totally wrong about Dabo. He's goofy, but he figured out what it took to win and now all they do it win and bring in $$$s. Hopefully we shock the world tomorrow.