Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree. Really bad taste in my mouth on this one - blowing the whistle and running drills during America the Beautiful on 9/11. Really?

Do you think CGC knew this was happening and said "To hell with 9/11 tributes - we have to warm up!"? Or perhaps he was unaware? The latter is certainly clueless but less malicious than the former. I honestly don't know.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
just joined this board to post this - I’m at the game, parent of one GT alum and one current student.

as bad as this team is - coming out during the band’s 9/11 tribute and running drills and blowing the whistles in the end zone during the tribute songs…

That’s a special kind of clown show / disrespect. You should resign Geoff Collins…. This afternoon.

Kennesaw State had the respect to wait in the tunnel - and they are outplaying us now with 8:39 to go.

looking forward to the coaching change - do love this school….
I thought that blowing the whistle during the tribute was pretty tacky. I hope that he just walked out of the locker room and didn’t realize the importance of what he was interrupting. He’d have to be pretty clueless though.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I played for the GT band once upon a time. This is not a defense to CGC but high chance he did not know what the band was up to during halftime. It's not like band and football team is communicating during the week. The band puts in their practice for the marching show during the week and when there are special days like 9/11 tribute, they practice a different show. The most contact the band ever had with the football team was when we went for practice one day and the coach was on the field and we all said "Hi, Bill Lewis!" and he waved back from a distance. I'm sure CGC didn't know what the band was up to.

Also, during the 20 min of halftime, each side is given 10 min to do their shows. I was not at the game (nor do they broadcast halftime shows) so not sure how the setup was. Sometimes, the opposing side has no band so the show finishes early and that's when you usually see the football team back out on the field, practicing and such. If you push close to the time limit, you'll see the band do their show and then run off the field instead of marching off. Maybe GT team is used to having a few min before 2nd half to stretch and do some FG practice? I'm just saying.

Edit: sorry, each side is given less than 10 min per side but don't remember exactly how long.

Last edited:

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I played for the GT band once upon a time. This is not a defense to CGC but high chance he did not know what the band was up to during halftime. It's not like band and football team is communicating during the week. The band puts in their practice for the marching show during the week and when there are special days like 9/11 tribute, they practice a different show. The most contact the band ever had with the football team was when we went for practice one day and the coach was on the field and we all said "Hi, Bill Lewis!" and he waved back from a distance. I'm sure CGC didn't know what the band was up to.

Also, during the 20 min of halftime, each side is given 10 min to do their shows. I was not at the game (nor do they broadcast halftime shows) so not sure how the setup was. Sometimes, the opposing side has no band so the show finishes early and that's when you usually see the football team back out on the field, practicing and such. If you push close to the time limit, you'll see the band do their show and then run off the field instead of marching off. Maybe GT team is used to having a few min before 2nd half to stretch and do some FG practice? I'm just saying.
Good post. By the way, I thought on GT Swarm that we are supposed to write Bill Lewis as B*** L****. I’m surprised the profanity filter didn’t get ya. 😂

LibertyTurns

Banned
K St players and staff figured out what was going on.The smarter team didn’t. It’s hard to be any more disappointed in our Team, but we did manage to figure out how to add another annoyance to the pile on what should have been a unifying situation. Very CGCish.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
K St players and staff figured out what was going on.The smarter team didn’t. It’s hard to be any more disappointed in our Team, but we did manage to figure out how to add another annoyance to the pile on what should have been a unifying situation. Very CGCish.
You sound more petty than a room full of teenage girls.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, thank goodness we won and now have bragging rights over KSU. I‘m happy about that. What I saw was an option team that turned it over. And we all know how that goes for an option team. We’ll win 4-5 games because we’ll have a few more games where our opponent stinks and we play ok. We’ll also have some games where both teams play ok and a late play will decide it. We’ll also have games where we are just outclassed. But as always I’m looking forward to all the games.

As for the Bud Carson question, I was born in 1970 so I have no idea what Bud Carson looks like although I did wiki him.
I think you sell GT short. A lot of those turnovers were forced by us. The J Dom scoop and score in particular, an FCS DE doesn’t swat that pitch

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Dude…. What?!? That’s not at all what happened. You’re just looking for negatives

LibertyTurns

Banned
You sound more petty than a room full of teenage girls.
Sorry, I served in the military. It’s just a basic respect issue. Also, my father taught me such things as a kid & I understand that’s no longer fashionable. Apologize for offending you and others like you. Of course, the bands should have immediately vacated the field when the realized they were getting in the way of our precious football team.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry, I served in the military. It’s just a basic respect issue. Also, my father taught me such things as a kid & I understand that’s no longer fashionable. Apologize for offending you and others like you. Of course, the bands should have immediately vacated the field when the realized they were getting in the way of our precious football team.
What part of the team likely has zero interaction with the band and likely didn't have any idea what was going on is confusing to you?

LibertyTurns

Banned
What part of the team likely has zero interaction with the band and likely didn't have any idea what was going on is confusing to you?
You didn’t have to have any interaction with the band at all. You come down the tunnel, see/hear what’s going on and you stop. K St figured it out. We can’t? I’m not going to type a lot about it but it’s part of our DNA now. We lack discipline and it plays out in a number of different ways. Some might figure it out 1, 2, 3 yrs from now when this whole experiment is over and they’re trying to determine what went wrong. Some cats just don’t know how to act & we got one. The fish rots from the head down. It’s sad.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Needed to do three things today:
1. Don't commit a bunch of bad/dumb penalties. Check
2. Don't commit a bunch of turnovers. Check.
3. Get out of this relatively healthy for Clemson. Check.
The first two means you don't help a team with 22 fewer scholarships against you.
Would like to have seen Yates get pulled earlier bu we managed to avoid getting him hurt before Clemson.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You didn’t have to have any interaction with the band at all. You come down the tunnel, see/hear what’s going on and you stop. K St figured it out. We can’t? I’m not going to type a lot about it but it’s part of our DNA now. We lack discipline and it plays out in a number of different ways. Some might figure it out 1, 2, 3 yrs from now when this whole experiment is over and they’re trying to determine what went wrong. Some cats just don’t know how to act & we got one. The fish rots from the head down. It’s sad.
Is Geoff Collins the answer, maybe/probably not. But is he some anti-Christ you make him out to be? Also not. His post game interview he deflected the first question to pay respects to 9/11. At the end of the day, he understands patriotism even if he’s a bad football coach.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Is Geoff Collins the answer, maybe/probably not. But is he some anti-Christ you make him out to be? Also not. His post game interview he deflected the first question to pay respects to 9/11. At the end of the day, he understands patriotism even if he’s a bad football coach.
I don’t have an opinion on this one way or another. But usually, there is a football operations meeting which announces the schedule ... what the timing is, band, tv, advertisers, etc. If the football didn’t know, they should have. Clearly an opportunity to improve..

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
As I said you sound like a petty teenage girl towards Collins.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Didn't Don McLean sing a song about the marching band refusing to yield as the football players took the field and drinking whiskey?

Seriously though, the players and coaching staff had no idea what song was being played or what was goin on. The halftime lebgth of a FOOTBALL GAME is set. The leader of the bands know there is a time limit. THEY are the ones who screwed up. Its no coincidence that the same people to get mad at CGC for money down or juice or making twitter vids are the ones saying he should have been involved with the halftime show.

If you hate the guy you hate him and thats ok. This argument is just petty.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
To be fair, CGC would do anything to avoid directly answering a post game interview question.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was not at the game, so the "problem" in the halftime so many mentioned is news to me. But, I have an opinion about this type of stuff. Whomever in the GTAA coordinates all the pre-game and halftime on field activity is the one to hear the boos. This is a "football game" and the other stuff has to work around everything the football teams need to prepare for and play the game. Is CGC being "insensitive" to expect the field to be available for his team to prepare for the game as planned? My only questions are about the schedule and who followed it and who did not. I can understand the KSU team coming out and not knowing what to do, but we should have this kind of scheduling stuff nailed down so that the coaches don't have to think about it.