Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
@CuseJacket I think what has skewed everything is the completely asinine negative viewpoints on johnson makes those of us that simply call BS when people are being dense seem as if we only supported johnson. Something about collins rubbed me wrong from day one.
I understand that perspective.

With that out of the way, my post was specifically about about people calling for Monken, Bohannan and revisiting the "need", or minimally merits, of running that offense after yesterday's game. If anything, yesterday's game tells me that the style of offense is not the root issue, so I was trying to understand why folks are coming to the table with that as the solution. To me it weakens any future argument from those same folks. I've since read your response and others to know that I was missing some additional context.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll throw out a sure to be controversial positive from the game: I am much more comfortable with CDP in the OC position after this game. Sure, we can nitpick a few goal line calls, but overall, the schemes he called out either gained yardage, or missed because the QB couldn't get the throw to the receiver. We had wide open looks for TDs all night long. Hard to fault the OC for bad execution. Iron out the QB play and I think we could be really competitive with CDP.

And Kick-offs through the end zone. Definite improvement.
Agusta, I will not disagree with your point. But my concern is that CDP is also the quarterback coach. And is responsible for QB development. Sims did not look good in his first start of the season, and again, it is up to CDP to get him ready to play. Frigden was a master at QB development. Can CDP find that magic?

And again, I missed the excellent KOs.

Jmonty71

Banned
I'll throw out a sure to be controversial positive from the game: I am much more comfortable with CDP in the OC position after this game. Sure, we can nitpick a few goal line calls, but overall, the schemes he called out either gained yardage, or missed because the QB couldn't get the throw to the receiver. We had wide open looks for TDs all night long. Hard to fault the OC for bad execution. Iron out the QB play and I think we could be really competitive with CDP.

My critism on that??? We should of thrown deep more often. They were daring us to throw a deep post route. It was open, almost all night. That may have stopped them from loading the box.. But, too many missed wide open targets...too many stupid mistakes... What ticked me off, was the lack of preparedness. Most on the coaches. Wasted time outs, poor substitutions and seeing the defense having communication issues is very concerning. We looked flat and like nobody wanted to be there.... Overall, I find CDP to have a boring offense and one that isn't going to light scoreboards up. Maybe its personnel, maybe its just outdated. Either way, its not overall fun to watch....at least to me.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I understand that perspective.

With that out of the way, my post was specifically about about people calling for Monken, Bohannan and revisiting the "need", or minimally merits, of running that offense after yesterday's game. If anything, yesterday's game tells me that the style of offense is not the root issue, so I was trying to understand why folks are coming to the table with that as the solution. To me it weakens any future argument from those same folks. I've since read your response and others to know that I was missing some additional context.
I think execution was the issue last night, not scheme or game planning. But execution is also the coach's responsibility. He can call out players for not executing, but he put them there. I don't mind holding the coach responsible.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Agusta, I will not disagree with your point. But my concern is that CDP is also the quarterback coach. And is responsible for QB development. Sims did not look good in his first start of the season, and again, it is up to CDP to get him ready to play. Frigden was a master at QB development. Can CDP find that magic?

And again, I missed the excellent KOs.

I agree somewhat. While Sims definitely seemed ill prepared, CDP has developed a backup QB in Yates that came into the game with his team backed on their own 3 yard line and then drove them 97 yards for a TD just before halftime. Gotta give him credit for that as well as criticize him for Sims play.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My critism on that??? We should of thrown deep more often. They were daring us to throw a deep post route. It was open, almost all night. That may have stopped them from loading the box.. But, too many missed wide open targets...too many stupid mistakes... What ticked me off, was the lack of preparedness. Most on the coaches. Wasted time outs, poor substitutions and seeing the defense having communication issues is very concerning. We looked flat and like nobody wanted to be there.... Overall, I find CDP to have a boring offense and one that isn't going to light scoreboards up. Maybe its personnel, maybe its just outdated. Either way, its not overall fun to watch....at least to me.

This is the first year we are seeing the full CDP playbook being opened. He even said so in an interview a week or so ago. Too soon to judge his O yet. I agree on the deep throws, though he did adjust and we hit a deep one late to set up a TD.

Jmonty71

Banned
This is the first year we are seeing the full CDP playbook being opened. He even said so in an interview a week or so ago. Too soon to judge his O yet. I agree on the deep throws, though he did adjust and we hit a deep one late to set up a TD.
Yeah....exactly late in the game...why did it take so long??? But, we will see... Screens and short slants would be nice.... Something other than an out route or fly pattern....

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow

We need a new DC. Coach Charles kelley @ alabama and former GT defensive Coord. And great special team coach.under CPJ who went FLA st. As special team coach and DB coach.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeah....exactly late in the game...why did it take so long??? But, we will see... Screens and short slants would be nice.... Something other than an out route or fly pattern....

You are missing the point. The scheme we ran last night would have won the game by over 14 points minimum had we connected on 3-4 additional throws and kicked a chip shot field goal instead of wasting a timeout to appease an angry fan base. CDP wasn't the issue last night.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I’m afraid Tech’s football future is bleak. We are in one of the weakest divisions in P5 and how many times have we represented the Coastal in the ACC Championship game in the last decade? Last two decades? Not many. Are you optimistic about things improving? Me either. So many disappointing losses in the last decade…Kansas, Air Force, Middle Tennessee, Citadel, USF, and now NIU. Worried that KSU might be added to that list? Me too. We haven’t beaten UGA at home since 1999. Feeling good about this year’s game? Me either.

Additionally, I expect the conferences to look at lot different by 2025 and who knows where we will fall. I doubt our situation will improve.

Now we have CGC who has a 26.09% winning percentage during his tenure. If CGC can’t give us a win against KSU, the AD and the coaching staff should resign immediately. It will be impossible to recruit. A loss would make recruits wonder if we are the 4th best D-1 program in Georgia.

No more excuses. No offense to KSU, but we gotta hang 60 or 70 on them to gain a little respect and confidence back. It’s crazy to think that this game is SO important.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Aren’t y’all the ones infamous for saying context matters?

Norvell/Willingham offense making CDP look like the Chiefs

149 out of 222yds are off 2 plays
You’d trade last night’s experience for what’s going on in Tallahassee? C’mon man, that guy has a team competing and our guy (and staff) is lost in space. FSU won’t win but, there’s a program with hope. GT used to have hope even during the Chan years, now it’s completely gone.

GT took a competitive program and is destroying it because of hubris. The power brokers calling the shots are well intentioned, unfortunately misguided. They have no workable answers. What they possess is indomitable certainty and an insane desire for control. Through their stupendous incompetence, we’re now facing a complete and utter breakdown in trust of our leadership. It will take many years to heal the wounds here and delay in taking action will just prolong the recovery. I hope Stansbury has what it takes to realize his failure and right our ship.