Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

JacketFan137

Banned
Collins not finishing the season is a worst case scenario. Heaven forbid it comes to that put this is an example of how that unfolds. We begin the season by losing ugly and it just gets uglier. Some players just lay down and they are replaced by underclassmen who in turn suffer injuries due to lack of training and experience. We have trouble getting even 20,000 fans in the stadium and the next recruiting class starts to fall apart.

Now TStan steps in and makes a decision. Just as it seemed important before to advertise the 404 and sell a culture of recruiting for the pros, now it becomes doubly important to show that the program is stable, adults are in charge and Tech is committed to winning. To simply let the season play out in a gruesome death spiral because you wanted to save a few bucks would tell every top recruit in the nation we are a Mickey Mouse program. If people think it was hard to overcome the triple option with recruits, you ain’t seen nothing if we just play out a season in which the coaches and players are just going through the motions, and the fans have given up, all because we are too cheap to stop the misery. We would be known for a generation as the Dollar General store of college football.
yeah that’s what i’m going back and forth with. i think to get fired midseason it would take something so truly spectacular that it would be DEFCON 5 level.

i think 4-6 wins probably at least sees out the season and we move from there. idk how the money saved would factor in for future stuff but to me an extra 7 mil to step up and hire a big time coach would be nice. idk if that money comes from the same bucket or not

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
yeah that’s what i’m going back and forth with. i think to get fired midseason it would take something so truly spectacular that it would be DEFCON 5 level.

i think 4-6 wins probably at least sees out the season and we move from there. idk how the money saved would factor in for future stuff but to me an extra 7 mil to step up and hire a big time coach would be nice. idk if that money comes from the same bucket or not
Having the extra 7 million is great to have, on paper. The question is “what does it take to save the program in a worst case scenario?” You’re going to have to lose that 7 million one way or another.

DEFCON 1 is the highest level of threat response btw. Referred to as the “cocked pistol” stage.

JacketFan137

Banned
Having the extra 7 million is great to have, on paper. The question is “what does it take to save the program in a worst case scenario?” You’re going to have to lose that 7 million one way or another.

DEFCON 1 is the highest level of threat response btw. Referred to as the “cocked pistol” stage.
did not know that about defcon levels thanks for that lol

and yeah that’s kinda why i asked cause i don’t really understand how it’ll work cause that 7 mil likely gets spent either way.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone else’s ticket rep make a plug for more money? He said they were trying to close an $11M gap. In just 3 years we’ve gone from paying the bills to have racked up a large amount of short term debt? I know we got the major capital projects albatrosses hanging around our necks but we used to have the books balanced.

SowegaSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Is there another option? Knowing no details of the contract language. If the season goes South by mid-season, is it possible to place him on paid administrative leave and fire him at season end?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone else’s ticket rep make a plug for more money? He said they were trying to close an $11M gap. In just 3 years we’ve gone from paying the bills to have racked up a large amount of short term debt? I know we got the major capital projects albatrosses hanging around our necks but we used to have the books balanced.
We also had a Covid year with a major impact on ticket sales.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Is there another option? Knowing no details of the contract language. If the season goes South by mid-season, is it possible to place him on paid administrative leave and fire him at season end?
That's exactly what they would do. Place Chip into "interim" position and continue to pay Geoff until he completes the year and then terminate. Which, I suspect, is already in motion if you look at the schedule. I just don't see him surviving.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
That's exactly what they would do. Place Chip into "interim" position and continue to pay Geoff until he completes the year and then terminate. Which, I suspect, is already in motion if you look at the schedule. I just don't see him surviving.

Wonder how CGC feels knowing we hired a guy to take his place already? Does that give him the needed motivation or does that make him bitter and angry?

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Look I have no inside information and when this stuff happened about the big money people told the AD they had the money to buy out CGC I guess I read it wrong. But when the AD said he had his man I took it they did not give him the money and said, ok it's also your job on the line with him.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Wonder how CGC feels knowing we hired a guy to take his place already? Does that give him the needed motivation or does that make him bitter and angry?
As a professional coach, I am sure he knows the drill. He should be thankful ... had he been shown the door at the end of last season, he probably wouldn't be able to coach again. As it is, he can look for another job and hopefully land one at an Arkansas State or Bowling Green and Tech gets off the hook for the remainder of his salary. Win-win.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Hang on guys... we’re now giving the reins to Long? If this season (or last, for that matter) ends in a coaching search, is Long your guy? Why? Nothing against the guy, but he’s young with no head coaching experience. I get it that the coaching fraternity is as much who you know as anything but I have to believe this place would be melting down if an actual coaching search produced him as the head man. Is this part of the plan? Sneak him in as interim to avoid the backlash? I’m not seeing it...

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Hang on guys... we’re now giving the reins to Long? If this season (or last, for that matter) ends in a coaching search, is Long your guy? Why? Nothing against the guy, but he’s young with no head coaching experience. I get it that the coaching fraternity is as much who you know as anything but I have to believe this place would be melting down if an actual coaching search produced him as the head man. Is this part of the plan? Sneak him in as interim to avoid the backlash? I’m not seeing it...

No, nothing about Long's career trajectory says he is a HC candidate right now. I have no idea where this idea came from, other than people are desperately trying to recreate the Lewis-O'Leary scenario. In the scenario people are describing, Key would be far more likely for that spot

Personally, I think Collins will be the coach all of next year and if it's a losing season, they are all gone and we start fresh.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
FYI, Collins is slated to be on 680 the fan sometime Wednesday a.m. This is not a time for softball questions, lay it out there for him!

CEB

Helluva Engineer
No, nothing about Long's career trajectory says he is a HC candidate right now. I have no idea where this idea came from, other than people are desperately trying to recreate the Lewis-O'Leary scenario. In the scenario people are describing, Key would be far more likely for that spot

Personally, I think Collins will be the coach all of next year and if it's a losing season, they are all gone and we start fresh.
Agree. Collins will finish the season. He probably needs to arrange alternate transportation home from Athens, but he’ll finish the season.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
did not know that about defcon levels thanks for that lol

and yeah that’s kinda why i asked cause i don’t really understand how it’ll work cause that 7 mil likely gets spent either way.
Exactly. Either way. We are at the gambling table with just enough money left for one last play. Depending on the cards we are dealt this season we will have more options or fewer options but we are going all in with 7 million.