Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't know the legal answer to this but what stops us from naming Chip Long the interim head coach, and making Collins a defensive analyst for the rest of the season before eventually parting ways with him when the finances work out better?
Anything is possible if Collins has an incentive to renegotiate the contract.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, that was another's reply, but it was a bit of a different situation. O'Leary already had a history of great success with the program previously and was only with Lewis for 8 games. I guess we could be grooming Long for something similar but im not entirely sure why we would. What exactly in his background could have led to him being the coach in waiting?
Jimbo Fisher

JacketFan137

Banned
Okay would love for Collins to turn it around this year and make a bowl game but assuming he doesn't and don't crucify me for this what would you guys think about someone like Flores? Would connect with players and was really figuring out how to win his last 2 years in Miami with not a whole lot of talent comparatively. I understand the hesitation as he hasn't been in college but I would think he has a pretty high upside.
he was making 3 mil a year and collins was getting 2.8. assuming we fire collins and pay the buyout idk if the powers that be would be able to be convinced to shell out another 3 mil for a coach. obviously on gameday he’s a substantial upgrade but idk if our school will shell out that money again. i think it’s more likely we take a swing at long or an up and coming g5 guy

JacketFan137

Banned
In the event Geoff gets replaced, I’m sure he has a dollar figure in mind. He’s not coaching again as a HC at the D1 level.
one thing i will never doubt is the stupidity of college football teams and nfl teams in regards to coaching hires. look at some of the guys at both levels that are constantly fired and rehired and teams don’t learn

would not be surprised to watch him end up at a g5 team again. he’s pretty young too so he could easily take some role as an analyst for saban and be projected back to being a head coach again

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
one thing i will never doubt is the stupidity of college football teams and nfl teams in regards to coaching hires. look at some of the guys at both levels that are constantly fired and rehired and teams don’t learn

would not be surprised to watch him end up at a g5 team again. he’s pretty young too so he could easily take some role as an analyst for saban and be projected back to being a head coach again
Rhule goes to Michigan. Hires Collins as DC. I could go for this.

JacketFan137

Banned
Rhule goes to Michigan. Hires Collins as DC. I could go for this.
not happening this year at least. harbaugh will be retained for at least a year barring something crazy happening. would not be surprised to see him leave soon though

rhule is interesting cause as an nfl fan he is without a doubt one of the worst coaches and talent evaluators i’ve seen in some time but he was decent at baylor so maybe the college game is better for him and he’ll drag collins along

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
not happening this year at least. harbaugh will be retained for at least a year barring something crazy happening. would not be surprised to see him leave soon though

rhule is interesting cause as an nfl fan he is without a doubt one of the worst coaches and talent evaluators i’ve seen in some time but he was decent at baylor so maybe the college game is better for him and he’ll drag collins along
Panther fans are ready to get him out of there. Fired Brady during the season because he didn't run the ball enough. Totally blew it with the QB trade. Got them for a 7 year contract-sound familiar? Rumors are that if Harbaugh leaves UM that Rhule is lobbying for that job.

JacketFan137

Banned
Panther fans are ready to get him out of there. Fired Brady during the season because he didn't run the ball enough. Totally blew it with the QB trade. Got them for a 7 year contract-sound familiar? Rumors are that if Harbaugh leaves UM that Rhule is lobbying for that job.
he might end up better back in college cause some of the stuff he does is literal kid stuff like making coaches run laps if the players do well lol i don’t think that’s how you coach well in the nfl

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
For you lawyer types.

Could GT suspend Collins' active role with team while keeping him on contract as the head coach through the end of the 2022 season?
You would have to read the contract to determine what may or may not be deemed a breach and what could trigger claims for damages or accelerate the periodic compensation contained therein.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Or his agent does. I’m sure Collins is all in on turning this situation around. It’s not just money—it’s his career. If I were in that situation, I’d be putting more of my mental energy towards pathways to success than planning to fail.
I can kind of see the rationalization
Year 1: doesn’t matter—we’re building for next year
Year 2: doesn’t count because of COVID
Year 3: (this is harder to rationalize)
Still no explanation, that I’ve seen, why he waited to year four to get concerned about the defense.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Still no explanation, that I’ve seen, why he waited to year four to get concerned about the defense.
Sadly, that's problem the KEY question his next employer will ask if he is even considered for a coaching opportunity.

"Geoff, I see that you had some success as a DC ... Florida International in 2010, your defense led the Sun Belt Conference in total defense, scoring defense and turnover margin. At Mississippi State, you helped lead a Bulldogs team that finished in the Top 5 in the SEC in total defense, rushing defense and passing defense. And while with the Gators, you oversaw a defense that ranked No. 6 in scoring defense in 2016 and No. 11 in 2015. I gotta ask, when you got to Tech ... with your credentials, why did you suck so badly?"

::crickets::

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Sadly, that's problem the KEY question his next employer will ask if he is even considered for a coaching opportunity.

"Geoff, I see that you had some success as a DC ... Florida International in 2010, your defense led the Sun Belt Conference in total defense, scoring defense and turnover margin. At Mississippi State, you helped lead a Bulldogs team that finished in the Top 5 in the SEC in total defense, rushing defense and passing defense. And while with the Gators, you oversaw a defense that ranked No. 6 in scoring defense in 2016 and No. 11 in 2015. I gotta ask, when you got to Tech ... with your credentials, why did you suck so badly?"

Geoff before u answer let me add to V s question . 3 players #1,2,3 were always out of position . These players were awarded these jersey numbers because you said they were our best players and nfl bound. Can u spin this not make u look stupid?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

Collins: the players that I was left with for my first three years were all recruited to play in the triple option and it really takes four years to turn over a roster these days. How about we go get a waffle?