Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
So....anybody wanna play the "what if" game?

Nate Woody's Army defenses the last two years FEI rankings are
2020: 29
2021: 63

GT's defenses the last year years are:
2020: 88
2021: 111

I don't think anybody is going to argue that GT is less talented than Army, so you have to think that given a year to implement his system, he'd have produced results NO WORSE than his Army teams, and likely at least somewhat better (in my opinion, probably significantly better).

I think we all think that if you hire Monken and you have guys like Yates and Mason running that system, you're going to be just fine on O.

Maybe (given how the coastal has collapsed in the past 3 years) that system hadn't QUITE run it's course, given that you had just brought in a guy who turns out to be a REALLY good defensive coordinator?
None of this is real! It has been beaten into our heads by those on here in the know that coaching does not matter. It is recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.

Oh and schemes are not important either. Besides we are only 3 years into our 7 year plan

1640037497237.png

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

I don't think anybody is going to argue that GT is less talented than Army, so you have to think that given a year to implement his system, he'd have produced results NO WORSE than his Army teams, and likely at least somewhat better (in my opinion, probably significantly better).

I think we all think that if you hire Monken and you have guys like Yates and Mason running that system, you're going to be just fine on O.

Maybe (given how the coastal has collapsed in the past 3 years) that system hadn't QUITE run it's course, given that you had just brought in a guy who turns out to be a REALLY good defensive coordinator?

With how bad the Coastal has been the last few years, we really could have done something special. Oh well. People were more upset about water cooler comments about our offense than the actual results on the field. *shrugs*

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Interesting hypothetical. I suppose it depends on why CPJ retired. If he was forced out, then of course there was no way we would have gone with another option guy. If CPJ retired because he felt that there was little hope of success going forward, then it’s hard to argue that Monken would have been an upgrade over Johnson. However, if CPJ retired because he was getting old and tired, then there’s reason to believe we could have had some success with your scenario. The big important thing for Monken would have been to make sure he could succeed against a schedule that had almost every opponent fielding a roster with better raw talent.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Interesting hypothetical. I suppose it depends on why CPJ retired. If he was forced out, then of course there was no way we would have gone with another option guy. If CPJ retired because he felt that there was little hope of success going forward, then it’s hard to argue that Monken would have been an upgrade over Johnson. However, if CPJ retired because he was getting old and tired, then there’s reason to believe we could have had some success with your scenario. The big important thing for Monken would have been to make sure he could succeed against a schedule that had almost every opponent fielding a roster with better raw talent.
Yeah, curious to see what kind of record he could have put together in a situation where he's out-talented most weeks....

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

There has never been any hint that this was the case. CPJ haters dreamed it up and it has been popular fan fiction for a small fraction of posters. There has literally never been a single fact that hints at anything other than CPJ retired because he was done coaching.

snellvillejacket

Georgia Tech Fan
None of this is real. It has been beaten into our heads by those on here in the know that coaching does not matter. It is recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.

Oh and schemes also are not important.

View attachment 11841
Army sche duke was rated as the 105 easiest in p5. There is a reason they couldn’t stop Navy. Ratings don’t always tell the true story.

slugboy

Staff member

Army was already doing better than us before Woody got there, and for all but 2021, we did better than he did while he was here. Should the question be "why don't we bring back Nate Woody?" or should it be "Why haven't we fielded good defenses in over a decade?".
We might also want to ask "Why did we give Roof so much flack compared to other DCs?"

1640038687541.png

YearArmy DFEIArmy DFEI RKGT DFEIGT DFEI RKGT DC
2017​
-0.88​
114​
0.2​
47​
Roof
2018​
0.26​
49​
-0.62​
102​
Woody
2019​
-0.39​
81​
-0.54​
93​
Thacker/Collins
2020​
0.39​
29​
-0.46​
88​
Thacker/Collins
2021​
-0.5​
63​
-0.78​
111​
Thacker/Collins

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah, don't be a ****. It is a troll post but you have some credibility and goodwill here. Why don't you push for Monken as HC amongst your fellow Cavaliers and give it a whirl up there?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, don't be a ****. It is a troll post but you have some credibility and goodwill here. Why don't you push for Monken as HC amongst your fellow Cavaliers and give it a whirl up there?
God no! They have crap classes to hide athletes. The would be in the division/conference championship mix every freaking year

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Good for Gibbs. He'll be coached by someone who knows what he's doing.
Huh! So you're saying, as his position coach and the guy spending ALL the film room and RB room time with him, that Tashard Choice didn't know what he was doing? Wow! I'd guess you're probably feeling pretty lonely with that opinion. My opinion...he got some pretty damn fine coaching.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Huh! So you're saying, as his position coach and the guy spending ALL the film room and RB room time with him, that Tashard Choice didn't know what he was doing? Wow! I'd guess you're probably feeling pretty lonely with that opinion. My opinion...he got some pretty damn fine coaching.
No. I'm talking about the head coach.