Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Army also has the distinct advantage of being an independent and not having to play a conference schedule against multiple national title winners.
We are in the Coastal division of the ACC where mediocrity is the ceiling for most teams. If second tier SEC teams were placed in the Coastal, the carnage would be devastating. I have little regard for the ACC in football. For many schools, football is just something to pass the time until basketball practice starts.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Well, I have no idea if Collins runs a "disciplined" program or not - based on how "player-friendly" it appears to be, I doubt it seriously.

But, Collins also worked for sa(t)an, and we know that program is run with utmost discipline. I am also confident that O'Leary ran a very disciplined program, so Collins could have been influenced by any of these men.

I kind of think he is running it that way "he always thought it should be run", with the players being treated more like equals instead of underlings. And, as a parent and grandparent, I can tell you confidently that most 18-22 year olds need discipline, but of course, you know that. :)
He worked for Satan for a year. Must have been a real keeper.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
As a life long fan and season tix holder, here are a few of my recommendations for CGC to turn the Titanic around for next year given he is not going to be fired or replaced by our AD.

1. This weeks radio show is an hour of CGC bending the knee to the fans, Step into the kitchen and take the heat of some phone calls and emailed questions and man up and answer them.
2. Demote Thacker to LB coach and say you are taking over the Defense this week. Then go to Stansbury and offer some of your salary and some of Thackers to hire an OC for next year.
3. Give the Coordinators carte blanche to hire their assistants, using some of that $40 million from the 2021 Fundraising to pay them.
4. Eliminate "burn" and "elite" from your vocabulary. Talk like an adult.
5. Get a real suit. See number 4
6. No more "404" " money down" "rap videos at practice" and "juice crew". Concentrate on the basics. Football.

Just some simple steps that, for me, would show he and Stansbury actually want me to renew my tix next season.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Heaven forbid we keep Collins. Supposedly O’Leary was influential in his hiring, but if we don’t make a change maybe they will bring in O’Leary to help him find his balls.
O’Leary gave Collins a thumbs up? I can’t imagine O’Leary not knowing as much as some of our fans that were absolutely certain he would fail even before his first press conference. Impressive fan base we have.

Sheldon's

Jolly Good Fellow
O’Leary gave Collins a thumbs up? I can’t imagine O’Leary not knowing as much as some of our fans that were absolutely certain he would fail even before his first press conference. Impressive fan base we have.
Read on here by some supposedly in the know that O’Leary was influential in talking up Collins to the money guys to get him hired.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Mullen @ UF just let go. $12 Million buyout- $6 mill in 30 days, $1 mill/yr x 6 years.
If YOU were AD , would you hire him ?
Nope. He is a perfect example of why some people need to read Dale Carnegie's book "How to Make Friends and Influence People". According to my Florida friends, he is an absolute ******* to fans, assistants, office help, players, everybody. And the failures of the program are always someone else's fault. Personally, I would keep Geoff.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This would be crazy. His salary next year is guaranteed anyway. If you fire him midsession you’d owe $10.5M for the buyout. If you wait until end of the season it’d go down to $7.2M

So really you either bite the bullet now and fire him or let him coach all of next season.
The rationale is you are giving him a little more time to show he can do the job. If we are in this same place next year we better get him out as fast as possible or the long term cost to Tech athletics will be far worse than the cost of paying him off. There is such a thing as a positive firing where morale clicks up with fans, donors and players and you stop the bleeding and hope returns.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Hell, if they played like they did against the Irish, Kirby could put the third and fourth stringers in with no problem.
I imagine Smart will have his scrubs in there the entire second half. It seemed to me that many of our players were just going through the motions.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Tough conference pressure there in recruiting. Sometimes when have productive freshmen starting at skill positions already, it's hard to get talent that has a promise from some school to start day one. Just a thought ?
The rationale is you are giving him a little more time to show he can do the job. If we are in this same place next year we better get him out as fast as possible or the long term cost to Tech athletics will be far worse than the cost of paying him off. There is such a thing as a positive firing where morale clicks up with fans, donors and players and you stop the bleeding and hope returns.
By mid season
We should have that answer by Game 6 next year

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
As a life long fan and season tix holder, here are a few of my recommendations for CGC to turn the Titanic around for next year given he is not going to be fired or replaced by our AD.

1. This weeks radio show is an hour of CGC bending the knee to the fans, Step into the kitchen and take the heat of some phone calls and emailed questions and man up and answer them.
2. Demote Thacker to LB coach and say you are taking over the Defense this week. Then go to Stansbury and offer some of your salary and some of Thackers to hire an OC for next year.
3. Give the Coordinators carte blanche to hire their assistants, using some of that $40 million from the 2021 Fundraising to pay them.
6. No more "404" " money down" "rap videos at practice" and "juice crew". Concentrate on the basics. Football.

Just some simple steps that, for me, would show he and Stansbury actually want me to renew my tix next season.
Geoff will never do it. He will ask, "Why should I listen to you? I'm an expert on building elite organizations. Next!"

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Collins needs to go but the question is when. Ideally I’d like him gone tomorrow but we need a solid committee of people who understand college football to make a new hire meaning it could take a while to identify the right candidate plus the money payment will most likely mean next year he is fired.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer

I think these are great ideas. Assuming CGC is back in the spring, I want to only hear change from him....... attitude, consequences, players need to hear that they need improvement, and what some of the benchmarks will be. I realize these guys are not pros, and am not for singling individual players out for criticism, but they can be critiqued as a position group more often, leading to the position coach being under more heat.