Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Animal02

Banned
The only way Collins would be fired before year 5 is if GT could raise alot of money to get rid of him.
His contract is 100% guaranteed if he is fired within his first 4 years. You could fire him at the end of this season and you would still owe him $13.8M.
At the end of year 4 you would owe him $10.5M.
At the end of year 5 you would owe him $4.8M

Hopefully the team gets alot better. I'm worried we are entering a B-L situation. Of course the difference this time is that I don't think we currently have a single asst coach right now who is a future HC.

Our fans have overestimated for years how attractive this job is. None of the coaching candidates were really home run types. All of them were guys you sort of hoped would do well, but couldn't guarantee it in any way. We can wish for whoever we want as fans, but your list is constrained by who is actually willing to come and coach.
Maybe he could be sued for fraud.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Dear Paul .. I know now how much I loved you even if I couldn't express it. I was so confused. It's only now, after we have broken up, that I realize how lucky I was to have you. I don't deserve you. Please accept these flowers as an example of my love for you. Please call me and let's have lunch. I miss you. - TStan
Are you a wise guy like this all the time? Clever, but damn dude.

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
The ideal world with our money constants is we cut bait with our O and D cords. Then hope we can turn it around while we try and run out the clock on the contract so to speak.

The end game hear being with an OC and DC change and a few less losses and a few more wins maybe when we do make a change we look more favorable as a landing spot for a new coach.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Well, the cpj fanboys are doing the same now, even rooting for us to lose hoping we hire a cpj disciple.
And they are allowed to just as long as they don't turn their criticism into personal attacks.

It's inevitable for the "I told you so" fans to come out. It's really easy to type that out on the internet. This is one of the reasons why I was curious if anyone here thinks Stansbury would/could hit the red button this week after one game.

Being a fan is easy. Being an AD and/or Coach after a game like this is not.

GTMarine

GT Athlete
I was hoping tonight would show me the future for GT. Everyone on here knows I’ve doubted CGC’s coaching acumen, but I was hoping for a fairly dominant performance tonight with the “improved” players and regular spring/camp. But, that did not happen, as we were embarrassed by an inferior team with a better coach. I can see now the base is 75-80% unified that CGC is not the guy. This will expedite the inevitable some, if this unified stance remains. I just hope the damage to our program is minimal, and we hit a homerun (will take a smart AD decision, especially with $$ we have to offer) with the next guy.
To be fully honest he may be the best option for our current position. He needs to have a few more years for multiple reasons:
1) He is changing a culture. It takes time.
2) The talent pool is increasing. Case: Yates and Gibbs
3) He has 4 more years left on contract which would most likely mean $10M+ buyout. That money could be better spent on facilities, recruiting efforts, and support for student athletes.
4) Who else would want this job? We have a fair weather fan base for the most part and not enough money.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The mods are all about protecting Collins. Already got a message....they never did that with all the harping on CPJ

Just for the record. you are particpating in a 16 page "Fire Geoff Collins" thread. It is okay to call for him to be fired and most in this thread have. Personally, I don't believe he will be fired in the near future but he has dug a hole for himself that appears to be almost impossible to overcome. If he doesn't, he will be fired. The timing will probably not suit everyone. I am skeptical of his abilities to right the ship based on tonight's performance to be perfectly candid.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
To be fully honest he may be the best option for our current position. He needs to have a few more years for multiple reasons:
3) He has 4 more years left on contract which would most likely mean $10M+ buyout. That money could be better spent on facilities, recruiting efforts, and support for student athletes.
4) Who else would want this job? We have a fair weather fan base for the most part and not enough money.
Yates was a cpj recruit.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There is something about this team that seems unserious about playing football. I really wanted this to be the year we eliminated mistakes and played crisp disciplined football.

Next week if we don’t see a team on a mission we will know for sure that the culture inside this program is just not going to work.

Animal02

Banned
BS.
Every coach will have that number of years left.
If talent pool was the be all to end all, FSU would be a NC contender every year.
What culture has he changed? Being a contender every year to going winning a max three games?
Many would have taken the job...it was the idiot $$$$ guys that screwed the pooch.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
And they are allowed to just as long as they don't turn their criticism into personal attacks.

It's inevitable for the "I told you so" fans to come out. It's really easy to type that out on the internet. This is one of the reasons why I was curious if anyone here thinks Stansbury would/could hit the red button this week after one game.

Being a fan is easy. Being an AD and/or Coach after a game like this is not.
I would have to think they give him the year, unless maybe we get boatraced next week.

Plenty to question after this one.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Very logical post. I don’t care how much time he has to change the culture if he can’t coach. And, if we keep embarrassing ourselves like tonight, #2 won’t keep happening. Also, do you really believe he will suddenly become a great coach with great gameday acumen? But, can‘t argue with you much on #3 & #4.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Just for the record. you are particpating in a 16 page "Fire Geoff Collins" thread. It is okay to call for him to be fired and most in this thread have. Personally, I don't believe he will be fired in the near future but he has dug a hole for himself that appears to be almost impossible to overcome. If he doesn't, he will be fired. The timing will probably not suit everyone. I am skeptical of his abilities to right the ship based on tonight's performance to be perfectly candid.
Are y’all covering post-game press conferences again this year?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think you are not seeing the same problem. Collins was brought in because he is supposedly a defensive mastermind but under his lead we have yet to have a dominant defensive performance. Even tonight we had their receivers making big plays over our so call “solid,” “veteran” secondary. Yates easily beats out Sims but it doesn’t matter because the defense is garbage with more missed tackles than almost any school in the conference. That’s coaching. Get ready next week for a loss to Kennasaw state. They have more play makers than us.
I hate this, I really do. I've donated for years and bought season tix. For years. But based on tonights lack of performance, I don't think we win a game this season. It's the same culture BS. Everyone is happy, but one one is winning. That's not a good recipe for a team. Winning isn't some thing. It's the only thing. I'm tired of Money Down, the dancing, the funky kickoff BS. Just excel at doing the basics. Just the basics.