Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You thought he would go 3-9 again because you’re a fan of the option and wanted him to fail to prove a point. You also thought Whisenhunt would be a good hire. No one who has truly followed the team thought this year would end up at 3-9, and really we should’ve ended up with at least 5 wins this year, and could’ve had 7-8.

I have been following as "truly" as anyone, whatever that's supposed to mean. I have been preaching patience with CGC and his transition. I predicted 4 wins. (Didn't see NIU as a loss) Many who have been watching this rebuild recognized that we probably weren't ready to turn the corner just yet.

griffin mizell

Georgia Tech Fan
But we didn’t. We literally tried to run some obscure offense with Tobias and it didn’t work.

As hard as it may seems, we are close. Right now, we just give up waaayyyy too many chunk plays on defense. 60 plays of 20yds or more in 10gms. That’s a little over double of what you’ll see in typical yr. CGC just need make some tough decisions and get rid of buddies and some GT alums. Next yr is the deadline. You’ll finally have your first class of your upperclassmen and some war daddies that should be to compete
You are the only one with any sense on this site

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I have been following as "truly" as anyone, whatever that's supposed to mean. I have been preaching patience with CGC and his transition. I predicted 4 wins. (Didn't see NIU as a loss) Many who have been watching this rebuild recognized that we probably weren't ready to turn the corner just yet.
Yes, but you were predicting based on a preseason schedule that looked incredibly daunting. A preseason schedule that had Clemson as almost a lock in the CFP, and UNC and Miami having outside shots at the CFP but staying ranked all year. A strength of schedule that was supposed to be among the top 5 toughest in the country. It currently sits at 44th, and out strength of record is 94th. ND and UGA will build up the SOS a little and it’ll probably end up being like ~25th, but that’s still not close to what we thought we were dealing with preseason. Nobody expected our defense to be as bad as it is. If they were just average we’d probably be 6-4

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Screenshot_20211114-140604_Chrome.jpg

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’m not IBeeBallin. I think you’re only going to get a solid answer on whether it’s Thacker’s defense or Collins’ by being one of the people at practice and on the sidelines.

Collins ran a 4-3 at Miss State back in 2014. A lot of teams have dropped that in favor of a 4-2-5 with all the spread/“RPO” offenses.
Thacker had one season as DC at Temple. Taver Johnson was the DC the year before (he’s coaching for the Las Vegas Raiders now, but with Gruden fired, who knows what happens next).

I see some coaches that are 3-4 coaches, and that formation is their philosophy. Same with 4-3 or 4-2-5 ,etc. There are some “positionless” coaches out there, like Jay Bateman at UNC. UNC has two Defensive Coordinators, and they took Bateman from Army after they had a fantastic defense—top 25, I think—and he was replaced with Nate Woody.

With Thacker, I’m not sure what’s going on, but even though he can go deep talking about defense, so far he’s not a Dean Pees or Monte Kiffin level mad scientist on defense.

I’m more of a “your formation isn’t your defense, it’s a tactic you run to counter an offense” kind of person, but I grew up when you’d swap from a 52 to a 4-3 to a nickel to a dime based on the offense, and high-speed offenses don’t let you do that. Thacker talks like a 4-2-5 or a 3-3-5 is your defense, but he doesn’t sound like a true believer in a particular defensive scheme.

There are other things more important than your alignment—mainly knowing and executing on your assignments.

Failed tackles led to 10-12-15 yard plays. 52 vs 4-3 vs 3-4 vs whatever doesn’t matter if you’re going to do that. We had tackles for loss that went for first downs. That’s not even an “assignment” thing. You can’t have that as a problem to solve more than halfway through the season. For me, that’s the biggest issue we have on defense, and nothing else is close.

On top of that, we have bad mistakes going on in the back end. Against UVA, we had a ton of lost 1:1 battles, but yesterday we had players getting behind a corner and running free, repeatedly. That’s happened a lot this year. I see receivers open in a second or two after the snap.

On one hand, I can look at players like Biggers and see the argument that we’re getting close. On the other hand, the lack of fundamentals in things like tackling and the wrong kind of chaos on defense has us going in the wrong direction. I do feel like other coaches could come in here and take the players we have and make them into a top 50 defense—and that’s not even asking much.
I think a close second is blown coverages in the secondary. Another close second is lack of pressure on the QB.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Let me ask this. If Collins were to some how get this turned around next year, is he dug out ?
I'm honestly at a point now, where while I want him to succeed and see him change things up , but I know he's too aragont to do so.
We're close on offense but miles away on D, with a guy who supposedly knows D

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You thought he would go 3-9 again because you’re a fan of the option and wanted him to fail to prove a point. You also thought Whisenhunt would be a good hire. No one who has truly followed the team thought this year would end up at 3-9, and really we should’ve ended up with at least 5 wins this year, and could’ve had 7-8.
College Football News predicted we would win 4 games, as I did in the preseason prediction thread, turns out we were too optimistic. As for the accomplishments in all other sports...that is all well and good but I would exchange all of it for a winning season in football. Football is the straw that stirs the drink.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
And judging from all the comments, I am not going to bother watching the replay, though I was able to tune in on my phone the last few minutes, it looked bad.

I went to the aTm @ Ole Miss game, partied in the grove, visited my kid in the band while they were warming up. Great game, fine offense and defensive performances by the Rebels. I haven’t seen such from Tech in a long time. And it’s killing me.

I will be back in Oxford for the next two games, too - she’s a senior and these will be her last two performances, in case you wonder why. But it seems like I was better served walking away from GT Football for a few weeks after Miami, I couldn’t take the inept coaching clock management, and gameplay anymore.

I will watch if I can, but this season has destroyed the enjoyment of GT Football in me even more than the Bill Lewis years when I was a student. I am convinced now that CGC is not the guy.

I want him gone. Until then I am not going to make another drive across two states to watch in person. Or unless he turns it around next year, but who here really thinks this will happen? I don’t see it.
Kiffin has done a heck of a job. Much to my surprise.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
From my tired eyes, we haven’t got out of park yet. Much less turned the corner.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It could be argued that this wound up being the weakest schedule I can remember so far.
Well, UGA and Notre Dame ended up being as advertised. UVA, it could be argued, is better than a lot of people thought they would be but the fact remains that the mediocrity in the ACC, particularly in the Coastal is wide and deep. Miami, UNC, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Duke, among others are a far cry from what they had been not too long ago. We just happen to be worse. IIWII

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Kiffin has done a heck of a job. Much to my surprise.
He is a good play-caller & offensive strategist - he just has to be careful not to turn his players against him because of his bratty personality. USC players quit on him the year we played them in the Sun Bowl.

Part of me wonders if some of our assistants are the reason players haven’t quit on GC. I can see TC, BK, MC, and others keeping the glue from losing its grip. so, although I agree some coaching changes need to be made, I think it possibly could backfire in the “player effort” area. I think Mullen at UF has definitely lost his team right now. It’s kinda funny how Orgeron, a dead man walking, still has guys playing their guts out, but I bet he has some great leaders as assistants.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
College Football News predicted we would win 4 games, as I did in the preseason prediction thread, turns out we were too optimistic. As for the accomplishments in all other sports...that is all well and good but I would exchange all of it for a winning season in football. Football is the straw that stirs the drink.
4 would in fact be more than 3, no?

And if you would rather see GT football win 7 games than see GT baseball host a regional, basketball play in March Madness, and golf and other non revenue sports compete for conference and national titles then that sounds pretty miserable to me. Football is what draws most college fans in, but it doesn’t have to be the end all be all for fandom. Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, and UCLA seem to have a great time being mediocre at football and basketball powerhouses. Arkansas, Vandy, Oregon State, Mississippi State have a great time making it Omaha even though their football teams are afterthoughts.

Football is fun because it’s the biggest event, but it’s not worth firing the AD over because football is struggling. If football was winning 9 games a year and every other program was in the state that football currently sits, that would be pretty miserable.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Asked about that in the presser, it went something like this ...

"One thing that really jumps out is the long passing game for BC. They had four different receivers bumping up against 20 yards per catch and 15 yards per throw, which obviously doesn’t help the whole story. But it’s a problem and it’s a problem again this week. Is that a total defensive thing, is it a pass rush thing or how do you put that together?"

Collins: "I think it’s a … when you hear our guys … whenever those explosives happen … that they are organizational issues and that’s on every single level. But everybody sees when it happens and when a couple of them happened, they weren’t [in the back]."
Would someone translate that gibberish for me? "...whenever those explosives happen...that they are organizational issues and that's on every single level. "...and when a couple of them happened, there weren't (in the back)" I know its "coach speak" but damn that is some pretty heady stuff there.