Most successful ACC teams poll (last 10 years)

who’s had more success?

• GT

Votes: 62 69.7%
  • Duke

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Louisville

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • Miami

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • UNC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pitt

• Virginia

• BC

• NC State

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • WF

• Total voters
My bad, I was looking at the wrong year. In 2013 (thats when they played in the January 2014 title game) they ran the ball 82% of the time (170 pass attempts, 740 rushing attempts).

They went 12-2, with losses @ #6 LSU and in the title game against #1 FSU. They beat 5 other highly ranked teams that year including the then #1 Alabama.

Damned high school offenses...

They passed the ball 280 times in 2013 for about 2400 yards, numbers not seen on the GT campus under CPJ.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/auburn/2013.html#all_passing

About the only thing we have in common with them is losing to FSU in Championship games, something that CPJ has done twice.

The 2017 CPJ offense saw 42 total completions for an entire season of football. Damned high-school offense!

Deleted member 2897

They passed the ball 280 times in 2013 for about 2400 yards, numbers not seen on the GT campus under CPJ.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/auburn/2013.html#all_passing

About the only thing we have in common with them is losing to FSU in Championship games, something that CPJ has done twice.

Sorry, I read the wrong column. 280 attemps passing against 740 rushing attempts. Ran the ball 73% of the time.

We are 3-0 against Florida State in the regular season.

You remind me of the typical Georgia Tech "fan" these days. Why are people like you the ones arguing AGAINST Georgia Tech all the time? Why aren't people like you cheering us on and being positive? What is it like to get up every day and try and find things to complain about instead of looking for the positive side?

Sorry, I read the wrong column. 280 attemps passing against 740 rushing attempts. Ran the ball 73% of the time.

You remind me of the typical Georgia Tech "fan" these days. Why are people like you the ones arguing AGAINST Georgia Tech all the time? Why aren't people like you cheering us on and being positive? What is it like to get up every day and try and find things to complain about instead of looking for the positive side?

You remind me of the typical GT "fan" these days who is actually a fan of CPJ first. Always trying to get the focus off the present and looking back at one great season from the past, rather than at the present or the current trend downwards.

Unfortunately, recruits don't care about 2014 nor what Auburn did in 2013. Nor will the Clemson DL this Saturday.

Not sure where you can find much positivity after losses to USF and lowly PITT. We're going to be 1-3 for the first time since 1994.

This is a football forum board to talk about our team and that's what I'm doing. Every SINGLE time fans like me post about the realities of our program and season stats, "Fans" like you ultimately resort to personal attacks. This thread is a perfect example. Once you ran out of Season Rushing Stats to post, you start attacking my "Fan" quality.

EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I'm tired of "fans" like you who are Scheme First, School Second. We are now irrelevant in football and I'm tired of losing. Question is - why aren't you?

Deleted member 2897

You remind me of the typical GT "fan" these days who is actually a fan of CPJ first. Always trying to get the focus off the present and looking back at one great season from the past, rather than at the present or the current trend downwards.

Unfortunately, recruits don't care about 2014 nor what Auburn did in 2013. Nor will the Clemson DL this Saturday.

Not sure where you can find much positivity after losses to USF and lowly PITT. We're going to be 1-3 for the first time since 1994.

This is a football forum board to talk about our team and that's what I'm doing. Every SINGLE time fans like me post about the realities of our program and season stats, "Fans" like you ultimately resort to personal attacks. This thread is a perfect example. Once you ran out of Season Rushing Stats to post, you start attacking my "Fan" quality.

EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I'm tired of "fans" like you who are Scheme First, School Second. We are now irrelevant in football and I'm tired of losing. Question is - why aren't you?

I am so sorry you feel that way about me and I'm not sure where it came from. You put a lot of false descriptors on me.

Here's the thing - you can be sick of CPJ, tired of losing (especially the way we do), and still be a positive face for the program and players. THATS SCHOOL FIRST. You should try it.

When did I personally attack you? I just asked you to try not being negative all the time. Fior every bit of context or positive thing you have literally nothing to say except something you can find to spin negatively. You read about 8 things into me I didn't say or do. Maybe that's part of your problem.

This should be a fun one, we seem to have people on completely different sides of the fence when it comes to GT being successful or not under CPJ. So pick one of these options and if you’d like let us know who you picked and why. I think people measure success differently, so this should be fun to see. If the team has not been in the ACC for 10 years just judge based on wherever they have been over the last 10 years. I’m also doing 10 years because I don’t think it’s fair to cherry pick good or bad years and judge someone by that, it should be a complete view of what they have done. I think this might bring some perspective that GT has been better than most schools not only in the ACC and really in the country over the past 10 years imo. I’m leaving VT, FSU, and Clemson off because I think most can agree those 3 teams have been more successful than GT over the last 10 years. I also left Syracuse off because there isn’t enough options.

I think the moral of this poll is that, other than 2 or 3 teams, the ACC has sucked *** for the last 10 years. I could drop 10 turds into the toilet bowl and pick which one I like the best, but it's still a turd.

I am so sorry you feel that way about me and I'm not sure where it came from. You put a lot of false descriptors on me.

Here's the thing - you can be sick of CPJ, tired of losing (especially the way we do), and still be a positive face for the program and players. THATS SCHOOL FIRST. You should try it.

When did I personally attack you? I just asked you to try not being negative all the time. Fior every bit of context or positive thing you have literally nothing to say except something you can find to spin negatively. You read about 8 things into me I didn't say or do. Maybe that's part of your problem.

Spare me the innocence act, please. Putting "fan" in quotes is an insult to an alum like myself.

The fact that you see my objective posting of season stats (and comments about Auburn) as "being negative" is sad. I do understand that looking at the past is all the CPJ fans have these days but I wish you guys would understand that some of us would like to win now, rather than pine for 2014.

Deleted member 2897

Spare me the innocence act, please. Putting "fan" in quotes is an insult to an alum like myself.

The fact that you see my objective posting of season stats (and comments about Auburn) as "being negative" is sad. I do understand that looking at the past is all the CPJ fans have these days but I wish you guys would understand that some of us would like to win now, rather than pine for 2014.

There you go again with the passive aggressive comments. Go back and look at all your previous posts. Every time I point out something that compares positively to us, you try and find a way to spin it into a negative. And stop calling me a CPJ fan (in addition to a bunch of other poppycock).

that some of us would like to win now, rather than pine for 2014.

This is where I am. I either want to win now or at least see a plan in place to allow us to win now.

I know that CPJ likes to harp on resources as being the reason why we have struggled in recruiting. If we were to somehow magically put ourselves on par with the Clemsons and Alabamas of the world in terms of facilities, funding, and support, I am unconvinced that CPJ would be able to take advantage of it with recruiting. I strongly believe that his offensive system is the primary culprit and this is backed up by comments made by current, former, and unaffiliated players.

Just take a look at the QB at Arizona. He was public with his flat out dismissal of the system that Ken N. would have brought had they hired him. Calvin Johnson was pretty clear in his AJC interview that he would not have come here. Those are just two examples. Dwyer flat out said (in class) that he hated it and would have transferred if not for the lost year.

Deleted member 2897

This is where I am. I either want to win now or at least see a plan in place to allow us to win now.

I know that CPJ likes to harp on resources as being the reason why we have struggled in recruiting. If we were to somehow magically put ourselves on par with the Clemsons and Alabamas of the world in terms of facilities, funding, and support, I am unconvinced that CPJ would be able to take advantage of it with recruiting. I strongly believe that his offensive system is the primary culprit and this is backed up by comments made by current, former, and unaffiliated players.

Just take a look at the QB at Arizona. He was public with his flat out dismissal of the system that Ken N. would have brought had they hired him. Calvin Johnson was pretty clear in his AJC interview that he would not have come here. Those are just two examples. Dwyer flat out said (in class) that he hated it and would have transferred if not for the lost year.

I don't get too caught up in the system. If you look at the comments by other folks about it, its primarily from a perspective of ignorance. However, sometimes its worth making a change even if you don't have evidence (but don't get me wrong, we do have evidence against the system) just for the sake of trying something new and getting a breath of fresh air. Is the 3-4 defense really that much better than the 4-3? Yet look at the energy that's been emanating from our defense all summer.

I believe the problem is CPJs *COACHING*, backed up by his stubbornness. How many times have you heard him insist the plays were there, but so-and-so didn't run the play right (and you can see that on the video that he's right). But here's the thing - after 10 years through players of all kinds of ratings, intelligence, talent, and tenure, if he can't coach his players to run the system, then that's on him. I don't care what the system is, but you have to be able to coach it. We've had very senior offensive lines at times (for example), like 2015 and strangely we couldn't figure out what to do half the time.

I don't get too caught up in the system. If you look at the comments by other folks about it, its primarily from a perspective of ignorance. However, sometimes its worth making a change even if you don't have evidence (but don't get me wrong, we do have evidence against the system) just for the sake of trying something new and getting a breath of fresh air. Is the 3-4 defense really that much better than the 4-3? Yet look at the energy that's been emanating from our defense all summer.

I believe the problem is CPJs *COACHING*, backed up by his stubbornness. How many times have you heard him insist the plays were there, but so-and-so didn't run the play right (and you can see that on the video that he's right). But here's the thing - after 10 years through players of all kinds of ratings, intelligence, talent, and tenure, if he can't coach his players to run the system, then that's on him. I don't care what the system is, but you have to be able to coach it. We've had very senior offensive lines at times (for example), like 2015 and strangely we couldn't figure out what to do half the time.

Your 2nd paragraph is spot on. I made a comment in another thread about how we literally hear that same (correctable) complaints from Johnson after most every game. It gets old to hear it when it's something that he should be able to correct.

Regarding defensive scheme...I don't really care what they run. It's about the players more than anything else.

The reason I focused on scheme in my post is because I believe it's affect is detrimental to other aspects of our program, namely recruiting.

These numbers are made up out of thin air but I believe that the point is sound:

let's say that there are 100 kids out there to recruit. Let's say that 80 of those kids are unable to attend Tech because of academic eligibility or don't want to because of the limited degree options. Those are things that the GTAA have no control over and our pool has been reduced to 20 kids.

Let's say that 10 of those kids want nothing to do with the option offense. We have now reduced our pool by another 10.

I hate being hamstrung by controllable factors, but that is precisely what we have done here.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow

I laughed at this because I said this to my dad on Saturday. CPJ is VERY stubborn! He's the kind of person that knows something works if you do it right, and he's not going to accept that you aren't able to make it work - he will just keep on punishing you by making you do it over and over and over again, no matter how many times you fail until you do it right...and then it works. or you graduate. :) I have a little experience with this mentality in my own life, but I won't name names. :)

I really think GT has been successful the past 10 years - yes, the past 3 have been tough - but I do like the character of the men he turns out. I like the team mentality. I like that we are different and people hate playing our offense (although I think they are starting to figure it out). And you have to take the good and the bad with CPJ. What I like about him is also what drives me insane. I'm not smarter than the coach, but I've been frustrated many times by CPJ when we were on the 2 or 3 yard line, and he wouldn't take the star QB out for Byerly or Jordan to get the tough yards for that one play. It has NOTHING to do with his QB not being able to run plays; it had to do with those guys ALWAYS got the 2 or 3 yards because they were bigger. But CPJ wasn't dare going to pull the QB out on 3rd down just to get some needed yards - if they do it right, it will work even if a 12-year-old girl runs it according to CPJ's mentality. (And yes, he did do that some; I'm just making a general statement about his stubbornness)

I'm hoping his stubbornness will help us this week and moving forward - that we'll just learn to do "it" right, and things will turn around!

There you go again with the passive aggressive comments. Go back and look at all your previous posts. Every time I point out something that compares positively to us, you try and find a way to spin it into a negative. And stop calling me a CPJ fan (in addition to a bunch of other poppycock).

not once did I come at you personally. Not once did I say you're a "fan", until you made the same lame shoot-the-messenger accusation so many others often do when trying to defend CPJ.

I don't see the point of posting years-ago offensive stats to somehow try to insulate this offense from the deleterious effects it has had on our program. Frankly, I see our scheme and coach as mostly-to-blame for our current situation, the Hill's restrictions and our own academic prowess being others. A bunch of shiny stats are nice - wins are nicer.

I agree with most of that. Good day, sir.

Deleted member 2897

not once did I come at you personally. Not once did I say you're a "fan", until you made the same lame shoot-the-messenger accusation so many others often do when trying to defend CPJ.

I don't see the point of posting years-ago offensive stats to somehow try to insulate this offense from the deleterious effects it has had on our program. Frankly, I see our scheme and coach as mostly-to-blame for our current situation, the Hill's restrictions and our own academic prowess being others. A bunch of shiny stats are nice - wins are nicer.

You said things like "I do understand that looking at the past is all the CPJ fans have these days..." "Why aren't you tired of losing..." etc. It was directed at me but not directed at me, hence the term passive aggressive. I dunno, maybe you didn't mean it to come off like that. Most helpful is that you seem to have noticed that we think very similarly about CPJ and this program/scheme/team after the last post. Maybe that will help you not view me as a jerk or the typical blabbermouth you probably did a few minutes ago.

I posted those stats from 5 years ago because someone stated option offense teams haven't been competitive in 30 years. I'm not saying we should stick with our scheme forever (or even past this year), but that's a false statement. Such an offense won 12 games in 2013 (Auburn), 11 games in 2014 (Georgia Tech) etc etc...and specifically to us its resulted in 1 ACC Championship, 3 Coastal Championships, and 2 Orange Bowl wins.

You have a good day too!

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Can we vote on which of those 10 teams is the worst right now, results would be the same.
Louisville beat a top 5 team on College Gameday and had a QB win the Heisman, both of those got them more respect than anything Paul has done.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I get this, but do you expect things to be better with the awful resources? When CPJ got here we were not in the bottom half in the ACC in a lot of things, over the years we are now and you can see a decline with it. That should be proof enough that it goes beyond the coach imo.

Do you believe Duke has better resources than we do?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

Not now, but before this year, yes in many areas. Funds, staff, facilities. Actually funds and maybe staff is still something they beat us out in.

Nevermind. My mistake.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Not now, but before this year, yes in many areas. Funds, staff, facilities. Actually funds and maybe staff is still something they beat us out in.

Hmmm. I've been to their stadium. It's pretty terrible. They also play in front of less than 20K of their own fans regularly. They are also in a state that produces far less talent and they share that state with 4 other schools in the same conference. Their history is abysmal yet Cutcliffe has that program poised for a solid season while we are arguing about the expectations of our program after 3 of 4 season in the gutter.

Bringing up Alabama and Georgia in these arguments is foolish and anyone that thinks we will compete with them regularly just simply doesn't understand collegiate football. But falling behind the North Carolina schools and losing to the USF's and Pitt's of the world at the rate we are losing to them is what is embarrassing and needs to stop. Resources are not just funds or staff which I for the record want to see improve as much as anybody. Heck, we lost a recruit to NC STate that is out Ga and has a brother on this team just because of the style offense we run. At some point we have to bring in talent and Johnson just flat out is not the man to do it no matter how much money you give him.