Most successful ACC teams poll (last 10 years)

who’s had more success?

• GT

Votes: 62 69.7%
  • Duke

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Louisville

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • Miami

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • UNC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pitt

• Virginia

• BC

• NC State

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • WF

• Total voters

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Personally if the overall record is close I’d take the team who has more hardware and has won more “big” games JMO.

Hard to say. Just looking at win rates over the last few decades, Louisville is a more consistent winner as they have posted WPCT of 66.9%, 68.3% and 62.5%. Whereas Tech has had WPCT of 62.8%, 54.4%, and 58.5%. That's Louisville at a consistent 8 win season and Tech at an inconsistent (slightly) 7 win season.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I wouldn't say that. It isn't that we don't have plans. It's that we don't have the money to put them into fruition. And the reason for a lot of that is down to two words: Paul Hewitt. (Well, and Gregory.) What we haven't had for the football program recently (last 10 years) is the money to follow through on both the physical and personnel sides of the equation. We've done some to build up the physical side of the program (the new indoor facility, the new locker room), but we haven't been able to do it all at once. Building piecemeal doesn't have the same impact. The personnel side is where we have really fallen down, especially when it comes to recruiting. We have just started to remedy that and much more needs to be done. An airplane - I'm not kidding - would be a good next step.

But, as was mentioned in another thread, our biggest planning failure has been with our scheduling. We need to schedule to pump up the number of wins. Period. Full Stop. Until we start doing that, we'll continue to have problems.

I see your point, but disagree. These problems started long before Paul Hewitt. It takes a special administration to look out over 20+ years and decide what it wants to do with it's sports programs. Tech has let its be at the whim of whoever the AD is. So, MBob for example, invested a lot in non-rev sports. Great for women's volleyball, but so great for football and basketball. That's why I'd like to see a long-term plan of investment and a framework for decision making to get out of that cycle. We had a bit of that under Homer Rice, but we've been missing it since IMO.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
Who is voting for Louisville? I could only be bothered to go back 5 years but they are 1-10 vs ranked teams in that period (2016 beat down of FSU). Before that they were in the old Big East. Worst of all, the one time we really needed them, they couldn't beat UGA in a bowl. Screw UL.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This poll isn't indicative of where the program is heading right now however
That’s not the point of this thread, the point is to show over the past 10 years we have been in better shape than those other teams. People have been cherry picking bad year that go beyond the past few years as well, so if they do that they need to also add the good years.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
if past success is all that mattered, then Texas, Nebraska, FSU etc would have nothing to worry about

It's like an investment. You may have an asset that created a ton of value or income in the past, but if the asset is expected to lose value in the future, you need to sell.

I'm not personally saying we need to "sell" CPJ just yet, but 2014, 2016 etc are all irrelevant when it comes to the future. Looking at the past instead of the future is how bad decisions are made.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Someone said 2 Orange Bowl wins?

If any are getting warm & fuzzy by adding wins vs SC St, acorn and similar - knock yourself out.

But I think in the last 10 years we are at about 50% vs what is called P5. Not 100% sure.

Maybe most successful can be defined better, but to me, at this moment, we ain't it.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of past success, put PJ in the Tech HOF and send him on his way politely imo. 10 years is about the max for coaches in cfb, and it's starting to show with us.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
In MHO, CPJ's biggest short coming is recruiting. That being the case, it is so inaccurate to include 4 years when he was playing with Gailey's players to try to evaluate his success, or lack of success, at GT.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
This is an interesting discussion, but....it’s like saying, “If you leave out Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, Florida State, Oklahoma, Washington, and Michigan State, who is the best team in the country since the CFP started?” It’s an interesting but irrelevant question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
MY BROKER AND I
Him
The record is still good, but the trend is down.
Dont sell Enron as it cant go below 10$ / share.
Me
Ok so it's going down. What will make it go up again.

You kee ol mentioning the highs of 9 years ago and 4 years ago. They seem to be quite distant in the past. How do we get there from here .
Him: The system ?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
3 Coastal Division Championships
OK, so I really wish people would stop claiming 2012 as if it were some great accomplishment. Truth be told, we had no business playing in the ACCCG that year. Without TWO teams being on probation we're sitting at home and watching. We didn't really deserve to play in the championship that year...now I'm not going to complain to play in it, and I would have loved to have won it, but it would have always carried an * in my mind...much more so than the 2009 game does for the BS that caused them to take it away.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This is an interesting discussion, but....it’s like saying, “If you leave out Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia, Florida State, Oklahoma, Washington, and Michigan State, who is the best team in the country since the CFP started?” It’s an interesting but irrelevant question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not when GT has been compared to these other teams mentioned or at least some of them.

Deleted member 2897

OK, so I really wish people would stop claiming 2012 as if it were some great accomplishment. Truth be told, we had no business playing in the ACCCG that year. Without TWO teams being on probation we're sitting at home and watching. We didn't really deserve to play in the championship that year...now I'm not going to complain to play in it, and I would have loved to have won it, but it would have always carried an * in my mind...much more so than the 2009 game does for the BS that caused them to take it away.

I’m okay with getting to go because we didn’t cheat.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This should be a fun one, we seem to have people on completely different sides of the fence when it comes to GT being successful or not under CPJ. So pick one of these options and if you’d like let us know who you picked and why. I think people measure success differently, so this should be fun to see. If the team has not been in the ACC for 10 years just judge based on wherever they have been over the last 10 years. I’m also doing 10 years because I don’t think it’s fair to cherry pick good or bad years and judge someone by that, it should be a complete view of what they have done. I think this might bring some perspective that GT has been better than most schools not only in the ACC and really in the country over the past 10 years imo. I’m leaving VT, FSU, and Clemson off because I think most can agree those 3 teams have been more successful than GT over the last 10 years. I also left Syracuse off because there isn’t enough options.
Personally, I would have included Syracuse on the list rather than the 3 teams who have fewer bowl wins than them in the last 10 years.

If you want to go by bowl appearances only, drop the lowest in the ACC... Virginia.

Just my 2 cents :cigar:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I would have included Syracuse on the list rather than the 3 teams who have fewer bowl wins than them in the last 10 years.

If you want to go by bowl appearances only, drop the lowest in the ACC... Virginia.

Just my 2 cents :cigar:
Honestly, after GT, Louisville, and Miami I was just putting teams down, at the end Syracuse was the only left lol

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, after GT, Louisville, and Miami I was just putting teams down, at the end Syracuse was the only left lol
I'm considering this supporting evidence that I do not talk about Syracuse too much or out of turn, contrary to prior accusations.

But I do think it'd be wise to put some respeck on the ACC Atlantic division leader's name, if I were you. :cool: