Most successful ACC teams poll (last 10 years)

who’s had more success?

• GT

Votes: 62 69.7%
  • Duke

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Louisville

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • Miami

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • UNC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pitt

• Virginia

• BC

• NC State

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • WF

• Total voters

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Someone said 2 Orange Bowl wins?

If any are getting warm & fuzzy by adding wins vs SC St, acorn and similar - knock yourself out.

But I think in the last 10 years we are at about 50% vs what is called P5. Not 100% sure.

Maybe most successful can be defined better, but to me, at this moment, we ain't it.
I'm way too lazy to do the work but it would be interesting if someone wants to put together P5 win % for all of these teams as well.

That’s not the point of this thread, the point is to show over the past 10 years we have been in better shape than those other teams. People have been cherry picking bad year that go beyond the past few years as well, so if they do that they need to also add the good years.

which is also cherry-picking.

we're looking at 3 losing seasons in 4 years and 3 missed bowls in 4 years, in an age where 80 teams go to bowls. That's not cherry-picking, that's trending.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
AW
which is also cherry-picking.

we're looking at 3 losing seasons in 4 years and 3 missed bowls in 4 years, in an age where 80 teams go to bowls. That's not cherry-picking, that's trending.
So going by someones entire career over just a couple of years is cherry picking? Ok....... we will just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Ok, over his career at GT, your obviously still missing the point of the thread.

no one outside us GT fans remembers 2014, due to how quickly we killed momentum in 2015. Same as in 2010. CPJ hasn't been able to sustain greatness here, another problem he's had. Now the trend is downward and 2008-09 are distant memories that only we fans recall. These memories are nice but aren't helping us recruit nor win.

I get that "Pepperidge Farm remembers" but it's not helping us win games today.

I get it - CPJ did well with Gailey's players and again in 2014 but for at least half of these '10 years', it's been losing seasons, missed bowls, or Gaileyesque 0.500 seasons.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
no one outside us GT fans remembers 2014, due to how quickly we killed momentum in 2015. Same as in 2010. CPJ hasn't been able to sustain greatness here, another problem he's had. Now the trend is downward and 2008-09 are distant memories that only we fans recall. These memories are nice but aren't helping us recruit nor win.

I get that "Pepperidge Farm remembers" but it's not helping us win games today.
Sounds like your describing every non factory football program.

Not every non factory has awful resources like we’ve recently had either. We might have more ups and downs than any team in the country, but we’ve had higher ups than most every college football team too.

Somehow we find $3 million for a HC though. That's not chump change. Again, our awful resources are no excuse for not having proper fundamentals. Our resources are better than the service academies yet those teams miss less PATs and block and tackle better than we do (it seems). Would having better resources make our QB somehow throw more accurately?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
GT was successful under Johnson. Key word being was. GT no longer is successful under Johnson. You make decisions based on what is and what appears will be, not what was. What is, is not good, and there really is no rational reason to think 2014 was anything other than an aberration. What appears will be is either more not good, or at best a return to the 7 win teams that we fired the previous coach for being.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Apologies, T_W. We both want success for our team - I'm just tired of living in the past when it comes to this coach.
Hey, nothing to apologize about, I’m fine having a conversation like we were having. As long as there is no bashing I’m good lol, it’s just all opinions at the end of the day. This is how I see it personally, I’m sick and tired of what we have been seeing as of lately. Many on here want to say CPJ isn’t a good coach or this or that, and that is the reason I made this is, to show he’s done more at GT than most other programs. Someone who can have the good seasons like he has had is not a bad coach. Imo the issue as of lately is that the resources for GT has been stagnant (until T Stan) while others have been growing. Basically I think the issue goes beyond CPJ and it is just now getting fixed. It’s about recruiting at the end of the day and CPJ has shown he can get things done when he’s got good talent on the field, we just need to get good talent on the field consistently and imo that is just now about to start taking place with the last two classes and T Stan helping grow the program.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
GT was successful under Johnson. Key word being was. GT no longer is successful under Johnson. You make decisions based on what is and what appears will be, not what was. What is, is not good, and there really is no rational reason to think 2014 was anything other than an aberration. What appears will be is either more not good, or at best a return to the 7 win teams that we fired the previous coach for being.
I get this, but do you expect things to be better with the awful resources? When CPJ got here we were not in the bottom half in the ACC in a lot of things, over the years we are now and you can see a decline with it. That should be proof enough that it goes beyond the coach imo.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Somehow we find $3 million for a HC though. That's not chump change. Again, our awful resources are no excuse for not having proper fundamentals. Our resources are better than the service academies yet those teams miss less PATs and block and tackle better than we do (it seems). Would having better resources make our QB somehow throw more accurately?
Better resources= better recruits, so yes our QB might would pass better, TM is really an Aback playing QB. The service academies also don’t even come close to playing our competition. I think it boils down to recruits, and I’m just now seeing an uptick in that over the last two years. Also 3 million isn’t bad for a HC and OC combined.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I get this, but do you expect things to be better with the awful resources? When CPJ got here we were not in the bottom half in the ACC in a lot of things, over the years we are now and you can see a decline with it. That should be proof enough that it goes beyond the coach imo.

Both can, and are, issues. We can fix one only in the long term. We can fix one now though.

Better resources= better recruits, so yes our QB might would pass better, TM is really an Aback playing QB. The service academies also don’t even come close to playing our competition. I think it boils down to recruits, and I’m just now seeing an uptick in that over the last two years. Also 3 million isn’t bad for a HC and OC combined.

schools with far less resources than ours have far better kickers and throw, block & tackle better. No argument about TM. That he's the best QB CPJ could recruit after the end of the awesome 2014 season is itself telling. No argument on the service academies either. Some fans who like our scheme point to the service academies as proof that it can work but I agree with you - it 'works' there largely due to inferior competition.