Moderators in the lounge.

slugboy

Staff member
For what it’s worth
A. The Lounge does get a lot more latitude.
B. I don’t go out of my way to look in the political threads.
C. Given (B), you might not see me spend a lot of time recycling posts in the Lounge, but if you do see it, it wasn’t in the gray area
D. The site is FREE as in beer. It’s pretty dang free as in speech.
E. In a text-based forum, it’s really hard to spot the difference between two people who know each other and are giving each other a hard time vs people having an argument until it’s been going on way too long. Better to err on the side of being more polite.
F. I’m inclined to give more warnings, but about half the time I’m on a tablet that doesn’t support that feature.

Back you your regularly scheduled programming...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT_EE78

Banned
Okay thank you very much for that info. I think it would be beneficial to do the same for deleted content but I also understand that might entail more unnecessary work for you mods.

Ty again. Request to lock this thread.
I'd sure be OK with leaving it open cuz i think folks can learn thru Q&A. I don't even mind if others whine back and forth. I don't need no stinkin button to disregard them.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
does that mean that there are other types of "non-actual" warnings where the "original post" may not be so clear? or can some posts be made to dissappear without any associated warning? (thanks again for responding)
A warning can be associated with a particular post but can be a general warning just issued to the offending member.
Warning Type:
  • Inappropriate Behavior
  • Inappropriate Advertising / Spam
  • Nice Warning (Draft)
  • Temp Ban - Cool Off
  • Custom Warning:
There is also something called the Recycle Bin, which is where posts that have been removed go. We do not DELETE any post - just MOVE offending posts to the Bin. This policy is in place so there is complete transparency to all staff members as to what action has been taken. When a post is moved, the staff member has the option to either notify the author for the reason for the action, if that staff member so chooses.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Well, I've been reported multiple times directly from conversations with you. If you aren't the one reporting me (which I honestly think you are lying) then get really mad at the white knight who is standing up for you.
Stand by your man. Isn’t that what it did for Slick Willy?

LibertyTurns

Banned
I just read the rules post. I feel wronged. I’ve been nuked but never warned. Now I’m wondering what it takes to get a warning. Must really be good.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
All I can say is that...at the end of the day....my experience is that everyone I have met wants pretty much the same things.....a country where people can be free to pursue their dreams, not persecuted or discriminated against, and feel safe (no matter their race, color, creed, religion or sexual orientation).

All of the wrangling back and forth is pretty much over how to achieve that objective (and hurt feelings from arguing with others whom you feel will persecute you for whatever reason). I try to keep in mind that we do in fact all have the same objectives and that there isn't anything wrong with folks who have the same ideals as I do. Doesn't always work, sometimes I am human.

I respect that the mods are trying to keep it civil. Thanks!
My experience with you is that you avoid personal attacks and demeaning comments. I appreciate that.

My belief is that many of the contentious arguments today occur because we are arguing with someone we don't know using a cold medium like the internet.

Back in the day we argued with people we knew, whether at a bar or in church. When we are anonymous it is easy to project your worst fears and weakest character traits on to someone.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve expressed this in other threads but it appears to need a dedicated thread of its own to help clarify forum rules, protocols, moderating all, and the prior application of rules by moderators in the forum, particularly in the lounge.

Mods have previously expressed a much more hands off approach in the lounge regarding political matters than in other forums such as those dedicated to athletics etc.

There is obviously a new approach now based on thread locks and certain warnings given for making personal attacks. And there is not enough clarity from the mods of what they are doing especially due to prior moderator actions and statements about moderating the lounge and the differences in threads here and in other forums on this site (by John if I recall properly).

Yes things get more heated regarding politics than they typically do for sports topics. And there has been a history of “talking down” to others etc. usually due to philosophical disagreements.

To be clear, political discussion is much more difficult to moderate than a sports forum. Which is why the former policy, or at least the application of rules by mods, made sense previously. And I personally think a more hands on approach by mods in the lounge is begging for more work than they deserve. It also opens mods up to criticism of political bias. And in my opinion unnecessarily so.

No one here is cussing or bypassing to harm young ears (eyes in this case). Everyone here has the option of blocking anyone they find offensive or no longer want to hear from.

Regardless, more clarity is needed from the mods on two particular points.

1. If the mods plan to change their application of rules in the lounge they need to express it clearly here. Because there is a change here currently. Be clear about it.

2. If a post is deleted or a warning given to a member here the warning should be clear, detailed, and unambiguous. A typical “warning” usually states “your post was moved from thread X to thread X. Reason: Against GTSwarm rules. Please do not attack other posters.” Or similar.

This is simply too ambiguous for multiple reasons. Primarily because there is no way to tell what post is being referred to. So there is no way to see what content the deletion is regarding. There is no way to then appeal that to mods or measure the offending content to what it may have been in reply to.

Some members here never complain about the contents of any post. I never have. Though I have been baselessly called a racist a promoter of violence, and more. I didn’t lodge complaints to those slanderous and baseless statements. I have also, who here hasn’t, been ridiculed by some for being dumb, stupid, etc. Though I haven’t lodged complaints about that I also haven’t hesitated to give those members a taste of their own medicine in debate.

To sum up. Rules are not being applied as before and imo moderators need to clarify why the change has occurred and how rules will be applied moving forward, specifically in the lounge. When a member has a post deleted the warning sent for the deletion should quote, at minimum, the content of the post that was in violation as well as what the violation was:

A failure by the mods to do these things will lead to great distrust and even further abuse by some members here. In particular the crybabies who act nasty to others that don’t complain to mods, but then run to the mods themselves when they receive a taste of their own medicine in return.

Such a failure to address these issues will lead to one of two things or both. Members unable to measure fair and equal treatment by mods this leading to members leaving, or a dramatic increase in the number of complaints mods receive for “offensive comments / attacks / etc.”

To the mods. Thank you for volunteering to run this site. Please address the above issues to keep this site a forum to discuss ideas freely and fairly.

@CuseJacket, @Boomergump, @John, @jwsavhGT, @slugboy
Since this post was about my post i will admit, i am not young enough to know everything.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You should name your first born Whimsical. You'll have plenty of opportunity to use it then.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 2897

Perhaps instead of deleting posts or closing threads we take action against the members who are trolling or personally attacking other members. Clearly the former (at least in my opinion) isn't making any progress yet. Even if you don't want to ban, giving them a warning should at least make the point.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Perhaps instead of deleting posts or closing threads we take action against the members who are trolling or personally attacking other members. Clearly the former (at least in my opinion) isn't making any progress yet. Even if you don't want to ban, giving them a warning should at least make the point.
I appreciate your comments and will acknowledge that warnings have been given.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Can we get an agreement from you then Bwelbo that going forward you will not troll or personally attack other members as you have in the past?

Deleted member 2897

Can we get an agreement from you then Bwelbo that going forward you will not troll or personally attack other members as you have in the past?

You don't learn do you? It feels like 90% of your time on this site is spent trying to start fights.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You don't learn do you? It feels like 90% of your time on this site is spent trying to start fights.
lol. Im trying to resolve fights here. If you are going to claim that you haven't trolled me or others and made personal attacks you aren't being honest. I will admit that I have done the same in the past. Lets put it past us moving forward. What do ya say?