1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Moderators in the lounge.

Discussion in 'The Swarm Lounge' started by Whiskey_Clear, Jun 30, 2019.

1. slugboy

slugboy Moderator Staff Member

For what it’s worth
    A. The Lounge does get a lot more latitude.
    B. I don’t go out of my way to look in the political threads.
    C. Given (B), you might not see me spend a lot of time recycling posts in the Lounge, but if you do see it, it wasn’t in the gray area
    D. The site is FREE as in beer. It’s pretty dang free as in speech.
    E. In a text-based forum, it’s really hard to spot the difference between two people who know each other and are giving each other a hard time vs people having an argument until it’s been going on way too long. Better to err on the side of being more polite.
    F. I’m inclined to give more warnings, but about half the time I’m on a tablet that doesn’t support that feature.

Back you your regularly scheduled programming...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gtpi, Whiskey_Clear and jwsavhGT like this.
  2. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

I'd sure be OK with leaving it open cuz i think folks can learn thru Q&A. I don't even mind if others whine back and forth. I don't need no stinkin button to disregard them.

3. jwsavhGT

jwsavhGT Moderator Staff Member

A warning can be associated with a particular post but can be a general warning just issued to the offending member.
    Warning Type:
    • Inappropriate Behavior
    • Inappropriate Advertising / Spam
    • Nice Warning (Draft)
    • Temp Ban - Cool Off
    • Custom Warning:
    There is also something called the Recycle Bin, which is where posts that have been removed go. We do not DELETE any post - just MOVE offending posts to the Bin. This policy is in place so there is complete transparency to all staff members as to what action has been taken. When a post is moved, the staff member has the option to either notify the author for the reason for the action, if that staff member so chooses.

gtpi likes this.
  4. dtm1997

dtm1997 Helluva Engineer Featured Member

We get way better, more whimsical nonsense in those threads.

gtpi, Nook Su Kow, smathis30 and 2 others like this.
  5. Peacone36

Peacone36 ACCBasketballReport.com Contributing Writer

I wish I had more opportunities to use the word whimsical

6. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

If you're seeking help to resolve that problem. then you may have come to the right place.

Peacone36 likes this.
  7. FredJacket

FredJacket Helluva Engineer

I'd describe things as cattywhompus... & whimsical.
    [2 underrated words in one sentence]

8. LibertyTurns

LibertyTurns Helluva Engineer

Stand by your man. Isn’t that what it did for Slick Willy?

9. LibertyTurns

LibertyTurns Helluva Engineer

I just read the rules post. I feel wronged. I’ve been nuked but never warned. Now I’m wondering what it takes to get a warning. Must really be good.

jwsavhGT likes this.
  10. Northeast Stinger

Northeast Stinger Helluva Engineer

My experience with you is that you avoid personal attacks and demeaning comments. I appreciate that.

My belief is that many of the contentious arguments today occur because we are arguing with someone we don't know using a cold medium like the internet.

Back in the day we argued with people we knew, whether at a bar or in church. When we are anonymous it is easy to project your worst fears and weakest character traits on to someone.

MidtownJacket likes this.
  11. grandpa jacket

grandpa jacket Helluva Engineer

Since this post was about my post i will admit, i am not young enough to know everything.

LibertyTurns likes this.
  12. awbuzz

awbuzz Helluva Engineer

a similar comment to what i say now.. the older I get, the more ignorant I become!

13. Techster

Techster Helluva Engineer

You should name your first born Whimsical. You'll have plenty of opportunity to use it then.

Peacone36 likes this.
  14. Peacone36

Peacone36 ACCBasketballReport.com Contributing Writer

[​IMG]

15. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Perhaps instead of deleting posts or closing threads we take action against the members who are trolling or personally attacking other members. Clearly the former (at least in my opinion) isn't making any progress yet. Even if you don't want to ban, giving them a warning should at least make the point.

16. jwsavhGT

jwsavhGT Moderator Staff Member

I appreciate your comments and will acknowledge that warnings have been given.

CuseJacket and bwelbo like this.
  17. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Thank you and I'm sorry you keep having to spend time on this.

jwsavhGT likes this.
  18. WreckinGT

WreckinGT Helluva Engineer

Can we get an agreement from you then Bwelbo that going forward you will not troll or personally attack other members as you have in the past?

19. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

You don't learn do you? It feels like 90% of your time on this site is spent trying to start fights.

20. WreckinGT

WreckinGT Helluva Engineer

lol. Im trying to resolve fights here. If you are going to claim that you haven't trolled me or others and made personal attacks you aren't being honest. I will admit that I have done the same in the past. Lets put it past us moving forward. What do ya say?