Moderators in the lounge.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’ve expressed this in other threads but it appears to need a dedicated thread of its own to help clarify forum rules, protocols, moderating all, and the prior application of rules by moderators in the forum, particularly in the lounge.

Mods have previously expressed a much more hands off approach in the lounge regarding political matters than in other forums such as those dedicated to athletics etc.

There is obviously a new approach now based on thread locks and certain warnings given for making personal attacks. And there is not enough clarity from the mods of what they are doing especially due to prior moderator actions and statements about moderating the lounge and the differences in threads here and in other forums on this site (by John if I recall properly).

Yes things get more heated regarding politics than they typically do for sports topics. And there has been a history of “talking down” to others etc. usually due to philosophical disagreements.

To be clear, political discussion is much more difficult to moderate than a sports forum. Which is why the former policy, or at least the application of rules by mods, made sense previously. And I personally think a more hands on approach by mods in the lounge is begging for more work than they deserve. It also opens mods up to criticism of political bias. And in my opinion unnecessarily so.

No one here is cussing or bypassing to harm young ears (eyes in this case). Everyone here has the option of blocking anyone they find offensive or no longer want to hear from.

Regardless, more clarity is needed from the mods on two particular points.

1. If the mods plan to change their application of rules in the lounge they need to express it clearly here. Because there is a change here currently. Be clear about it.

2. If a post is deleted or a warning given to a member here the warning should be clear, detailed, and unambiguous. A typical “warning” usually states “your post was moved from thread X to thread X. Reason: Against GTSwarm rules. Please do not attack other posters.” Or similar.

This is simply too ambiguous for multiple reasons. Primarily because there is no way to tell what post is being referred to. So there is no way to see what content the deletion is regarding. There is no way to then appeal that to mods or measure the offending content to what it may have been in reply to.

Some members here never complain about the contents of any post. I never have. Though I have been baselessly called a racist a promoter of violence, and more. I didn’t lodge complaints to those slanderous and baseless statements. I have also, who here hasn’t, been ridiculed by some for being dumb, stupid, etc. Though I haven’t lodged complaints about that I also haven’t hesitated to give those members a taste of their own medicine in debate.

To sum up. Rules are not being applied as before and imo moderators need to clarify why the change has occurred and how rules will be applied moving forward, specifically in the lounge. When a member has a post deleted the warning sent for the deletion should quote, at minimum, the content of the post that was in violation as well as what the violation was:

A failure by the mods to do these things will lead to great distrust and even further abuse by some members here. In particular the crybabies who act nasty to others that don’t complain to mods, but then run to the mods themselves when they receive a taste of their own medicine in return.

Such a failure to address these issues will lead to one of two things or both. Members unable to measure fair and equal treatment by mods this leading to members leaving, or a dramatic increase in the number of complaints mods receive for “offensive comments / attacks / etc.”

To the mods. Thank you for volunteering to run this site. Please address the above issues to keep this site a forum to discuss ideas freely and fairly.

@CuseJacket, @Boomergump, @John, @jwsavhGT, @slugboy

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Recap for those who dont feel like reading the essay in the original post:

bigcry.gif

I would challenge the mods also not to turn this forum into another Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Google, in which the free exchange of potentially controversial thoughts is not corrupted for all in the name of political correctness, or because the mods themselves don't personally like with what is being posted.

I’ve been warned a few times, reported many times, had posts removed, and been banned from certain threads. I don’t really get upset about it. It is what it is. This site doesn’t belong to me. I’m a guest here. If they want to clean up the lounge I’m not sure why anyone would blame them. Every thread over here turns into an off topic hatefest. It’s a bit of a cesspool.
And it was always known to be a cesspool. They should have left it alone. As far as you having been reported, had posts removed, an having been banned, only you know whether that's true or not. As far as I know you could be totally FOS.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Odds of being FOS based on posting history......95%
Tell you what. I’ll make a bet with you. If I can post a warning and notification of posts being deleted you leave this site forever. If I can’t, I’ll leave forever. Want to take the bet?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Tell you what. I’ll make a bet with you. If I can post a warning and notification of posts being deleted you leave this site forever. If I can’t, I’ll leave forever. Want to take the bet?

Great track record you are boasting about there sport. I 100 percent believe ya. You name call and slander more than the rest of the board combined. And I’m cool with that. It’s entertaining and shows your true stripes.

I just want some clarity. If your behavior gets a pass because no one complains for instance...and you complain when someone returns fire and action is taken on your tears alone. That creates imbalance here.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This is pretty simple.

Our policy has always been and will continue to be that we address Reported Posts against the rules. Generally speaking, the recently reported posts have been specifically related to personal attacks.

This is the most recent reported post
  • "Come back when you aren’t too stupid..." <truncated>
For whatever reason, there have been more reported posts in the political threads recently, hence more activity from the mods. If there are multiples rules violations or a thread gets completely sideways, we will remove posts and then lock or remove a thread.

GT_EE78

Banned
I’ve expressed this in other threads but it appears to need a dedicated thread of its own to help clarify forum rules, protocols, moderating all, and the prior application of rules by moderators in the forum, particularly in the lounge.

Mods have previously expressed a much more hands off approach in the lounge regarding political matters than in other forums such as those dedicated to athletics etc.

There is obviously a new approach now based on thread locks and certain warnings given for making personal attacks. And there is not enough clarity from the mods of what they are doing especially due to prior moderator actions and statements about moderating the lounge and the differences in threads here and in other forums on this site (by John if I recall properly).

Yes things get more heated regarding politics than they typically do for sports topics. And there has been a history of “talking down” to others etc. usually due to philosophical disagreements.

To be clear, political discussion is much more difficult to moderate than a sports forum. Which is why the former policy, or at least the application of rules by mods, made sense previously. And I personally think a more hands on approach by mods in the lounge is begging for more work than they deserve. It also opens mods up to criticism of political bias. And in my opinion unnecessarily so.

No one here is cussing or bypassing to harm young ears (eyes in this case). Everyone here has the option of blocking anyone they find offensive or no longer want to hear from.

Regardless, more clarity is needed from the mods on two particular points.

1. If the mods plan to change their application of rules in the lounge they need to express it clearly here. Because there is a change here currently. Be clear about it.

2. If a post is deleted or a warning given to a member here the warning should be clear, detailed, and unambiguous. A typical “warning” usually states “your post was moved from thread X to thread X. Reason: Against GTSwarm rules. Please do not attack other posters.” Or similar.

This is simply too ambiguous for multiple reasons. Primarily because there is no way to tell what post is being referred to. So there is no way to see what content the deletion is regarding. There is no way to then appeal that to mods or measure the offending content to what it may have been in reply to.

Some members here never complain about the contents of any post. I never have. Though I have been baselessly called a racist a promoter of violence, and more. I didn’t lodge complaints to those slanderous and baseless statements. I have also, who here hasn’t, been ridiculed by some for being dumb, stupid, etc. Though I haven’t lodged complaints about that I also haven’t hesitated to give those members a taste of their own medicine in debate.

To sum up. Rules are not being applied as before and imo moderators need to clarify why the change has occurred and how rules will be applied moving forward, specifically in the lounge. When a member has a post deleted the warning sent for the deletion should quote, at minimum, the content of the post that was in violation as well as what the violation was:

A failure by the mods to do these things will lead to great distrust and even further abuse by some members here. In particular the crybabies who act nasty to others that don’t complain to mods, but then run to the mods themselves when they receive a taste of their own medicine in return.

Such a failure to address these issues will lead to one of two things or both. Members unable to measure fair and equal treatment by mods this leading to members leaving, or a dramatic increase in the number of complaints mods receive for “offensive comments / attacks / etc.”

To the mods. Thank you for volunteering to run this site. Please address the above issues to keep this site a forum to discuss ideas freely and fairly.

@CuseJacket, @Boomergump, @John, @jwsavhGT, @slugboy
upload_2019-7-1_9-11-57.jpeg

GT_EE78

Banned
This is pretty simple.

Our policy has always been and will continue to be that we address Reported Posts against the rules. Generally speaking, the recently reported posts have been specifically related to personal attacks.

This is the most recent reported post
  • "Come back when you aren’t too stupid..." <truncated>
For whatever reason, there have been more reported posts in the political threads recently, hence more activity from the mods. If there are multiples rules violations or a thread gets completely sideways, we will remove posts and then lock or remove a thread.
Thank you for responding.
If the offending posts have been removed, then why doesn't the thread get unlocked?
I hope (and expect) whoever did the recent locking of that thread will respond and prove rationale.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If the offending posts have been removed, then why doesn't the thread get unlocked?
I hope (and expect) whoever did the recent locking of that thread will respond and prove rationale.
The thread was temporarily locked. It has now been re-opened. Thank you for your patience during the short intermission.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I notice one of my threads has been removed, i am so sorry i have a differing opinion than some on here. What a way to treat a Tech fan of 64 years.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Great track record you are boasting about there sport. I 100 percent believe ya. You name call and slander more than the rest of the board combined. And I’m cool with that. It’s entertaining and shows your true stripes.

I just want some clarity. If your behavior gets a pass because no one complains for instance...and you complain when someone returns fire and action is taken on your tears alone. That creates imbalance here.
I enjoy your return fire, always have. But if you are going to keep reporting me for things, I'm going to return fire. There is the balance that you crave. You guys chose to create this toxic environment a while back. I decided to participate. Lets not cry now when attempts are made to clean things up. The mods on this board don't owe you anything. You can leave anytime you want. You won't be missed by anyone.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As I am the one who temporarily locked the thread I want to put my 2 cents in, FWIW. I don't care one iota what anybody's political, religious, or any -ism opinion is. I don't remove posts or close threads based off of someone's opinion. I will, however, act when I read, or when someone reports, a post that directly attacks another member - even in the Lounge. I will also remove posts that, IMO, belong in the sewer. I can't speak for the other mods as to what they do but we do communicate with each other if there is a question about a post/poster and we discuss the best way to handle. If anyone would like to discuss this further, or has any questions, I welcome your PM.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
As I am the one who temporarily locked the thread I want to put my 2 cents in, FWIW. I don't care one iota what anybody's political, religious, or any -ism opinion is. I don't remove posts or close threads based off of someone's opinion. I will, however, act when I read, or when someone reports, a post that directly attacks another member - even in the Lounge. I will also remove posts that, IMO, belong in the sewer. I can't speak for the other mods as to what they do but we do communicate with each other if there is a question about a post/poster and we discuss the best way to handle. If anyone would like to discuss this further, or has any questions, I welcome your PM.
Must not be my post, i was the one attacked in the thread.