MJ vs JeT

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I love how MJ walks up and down the line speaking into each OLs ear to make sure they have the play. He's like Ernie Els in golf - EasyE they call him - never gets too up or too down. Calm, steady eddie. I don't know what he does off the field to keep so calm on Saturdays.

17494864_982287621907390_89926414630912000_n.jpg
:wideyed::cool:

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
There seems to be quite a bit of angst, or at least uneasiness, among many of the faithful with the departure of JT. JT's dynamic playmaking ability, especially his knack for making something out of nothing with his elusiveness, will be sorely missed from an entertainment standpoint, if nothing else. But what if we are in far fewer 3rd and longs?

That's what I think we will get with MJ at the helm. I think our production on first down will go up giving us a higher percentage of 3rd-and-shorts. 5+ on first down will once again be the norm rather than the exception. It will give us more options on 2nd and 3rd (no pun intended) which has added effect of keeping the defense honest, or better yet, keep them guessing. When they guess wrong, we get the homerun and we have plenty of playmakers surrounding MJ to break off big plays.

We lose a big part of our offense with the loss of JeT, but we gain the return of a much missed part, the inside qb run and all that goes along with it (freezing the MLB for a half second will have a huge advantage on our edge game). The net effect cancels out, imo.

Also, Mills is a huge part of this scenario. We'll have a legitimate two-headed monster on the inside. How are linebackers and safeties going to be able to afford to get a head-start to the Aback motion side when that means leaving a void up the middle.

I'll leave you with this play. It shows what happens when they do:

cleverly thought out!!

SlawDog

Banned
Chill dude. Our defense won that game. Jordan didn't make mistakes and managed that win, he didn't "engineer" it.

Lots of folks are already building a folk hero, it'll make the fall that much worse. Jordan is a tough runner and this long in the system, he should be ready. That being said, I hope he gets he reps and confidence needed to make the pitches and passes needed. I disagree with comments on here about the vt game being designed keepers. I don't think the question is why did he keep it, it's that he didn't look confident when he did pitch it or pass it

That being said, I hope he crushes it. He has the ability to do so, but let's wait and see.
Chill dude! You're going to be very happy when he "crushes" it.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
How do you know he won't be better? Like CPJ says, "It's why they play the game"

Just based on the 3-4 years i have seen him play. Pretty simple. I think he has a chance to be a physical and efficient qb at the position. Almost a physical tevin washington. He needs to work on his option to the left. And as a result, in pauls system if the qb is physical and efficient we can be good. But no i dont see nor predict him to be better than jet.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Chill dude. Our defense won that game. Jordan didn't make mistakes and managed that win, he didn't "engineer" it.

Lots of folks are already building a folk hero, it'll make the fall that much worse. Jordan is a tough runner and this long in the system, he should be ready. That being said, I hope he gets he reps and confidence needed to make the pitches and passes needed. I disagree with comments on here about the vt game being designed keepers. I don't think the question is why did he keep it, it's that he didn't look confident when he did pitch it or pass it

That being said, I hope he crushes it. He has the ability to do so, but let's wait and see.

Like this?

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Like this?

Like what? Two clips of him passing and pitching? I didn't mean to suggest he's literally incapable of passing or pitching, I'm saying he seemed to lack confidence. In fact, just off the top of my head, I can think of one pass that even the announcer scoffed at as a "duck". Others where it appeared his feet weren't set and/or he rushed the pass. Surely you didn't leave that highlight on the cutting room floor?

Really, try not to take my critique personally.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Like what? Two clips of him passing and pitching? I didn't mean to suggest he's literally incapable of passing or pitching, I'm saying he seemed to lack confidence. In fact, just off the top of my head, I can think of one pass that even the announcer scoffed at as a "duck". Others where it appeared his feet weren't set and/or he rushed the pass. Surely you didn't leave that highlight on the cutting room floor?

Fwiw, I agree that just pointing to the vpi game is too simplistic. Some of our key plays on O were bad D (eg pass int penalty), and others were scheme (eg big plays by MJ and MM). Many of our big plays on D were largely bad O like vpi had vs cuse.

So, I don't think the vpi game equals MJ is great.

Still, the anecdotal data from all his games puts him within the pocket of CPJ qbs at Tech, imo.

It's not a position of worry for us.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Every starting QB we've had under CPJ has been successful in their own way. JfN as a power runner with that would go 4-12 for 140, TW as a steady hand who made the right calls and reads and was slippery, VL at times an athletic playmaker who could take us down the field in 3-4 passes, and JeT as a burner and excellent passer. I still don't think we've seen the "perfect" CPJ QB at GT, although those only happen once or twice in any coach's career.

I can see MJ excelling at any of the abilities described above (save for JeT's blazing speed), but the beauty of it is, he may leave us with another variant of CPJ QB success. Time will tell.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I feel like MJ is a good passer when he has time. At this point in his tenure he probably hasn't proven he can improvise like JT in the passing game and make plays throwing in the run etc. I'm not saying he can't, but the sample size is really small. Time will tell and this is an exciting time as a fan. QB competition during a new era is a bit unnerving.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I feel like MJ is a good passer when he has time. At this point in his tenure he probably hasn't proven he can improvise like JT in the passing game and make plays throwing in the run etc. I'm not saying he can't, but the sample size is really small. Time will tell and this is an exciting time as a fan. QB competition during a new era is a bit unnerving.
Especially with 5 good prospects!

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Like this?

Not to detract from Matthew Jordan and not to derail the thread, but watching those clips reminded me that Marcus Marshall doesn't get enough attention for his efforts in the past few games of the season, but especially for the VT and UGA games. He did exactly what he was supposed to do, and more. Throwing multiple blocks, running like a man on fire...there was one run during the UGA game where he showed shades of Earl Campbell and it left me with nothing to say except for "...Wow." For a player who already knew he was going to transfer at that point, I have to say he didn't show it at all, and ended his Tech career in an outstanding manner

GTFLETCH

Banned
I am surprised at how many folks are so worried about Matt Jordan. He had double digit scholly offers out of High School Mike Pelton and B. Cook recruited him and he chose Tech over Nebraska and South Bama. He threw the ball well in High School and he is very physical runner.

I guess people forget the recruiting reports on him. He actually is projected to be Josh Nesbitt type with a better arm.

Crazy...with Matt Jordan and a seasoned defense we may end up winning the ACC if we stay healthy.

SlawDog

Banned
I am surprised at how many folks are so worried about Matt Jordan. He had double digit scholly offers out of High School Mike Pelton and B. Cook recruited him and he chose Tech over Nebraska and South Bama. He threw the ball well in High School and he is very physical runner.

I guess people forget the recruiting reports on him. He actually is projected to be Josh Nesbitt type with a better arm.

Crazy...with Matt Jordan and a seasoned defense we may end up winning the ACC if we stay healthy.
It's inexplicable. He could end up being the best.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

You mean like all the time JT threw from his back foot or falling back? I agree with you that it's one game. But there is more evidence that he can get it done than there is that he can't. Btw you can disagree on whether CPJ was calling designed keepers all you want but as neither of us know it's meaningless.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
You mean like all the time JT threw from his back foot or falling back? I agree with you that it's one game. But there is more evidence that he can get it done than there is that he can't. Btw you can disagree on whether CPJ was calling designed keepers all you want but as neither of us know it's meaningless.

He was keying on 1 guy and then was told to keep it.
Sure he missed reads but it's not like everyone thinks.
And yes I know this for a fact.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to be a pessimist and it seems MJ is a good guy ... but I'm not bullish on him as a full-time QB unless he has improved his passing skills (from the little sample size we currently have).
With all our positives for next season I still think we need a multi-threat QB running the show.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
Jordan played almost the entire game at Miami in 2015 if you are looking for a bigger sample size of his playing time. In that game he definitely made some good passes, more pitches/reads, and drove down the field several times. The reason we lost that game was the turnovers (not just from him). You also have to remember how bad the team was around him that year (even JT only won 3 games with that offense). However, he also seemed to have some fumble troubles in the VT game last year, but I think that will be smoothed out with more reps with the first team this offseason. You have to remember, he was not expecting to even play that Miami game, so he probably did not get any reps with the first team that week, and he still seemed very capable. For the VT game, he came in with only 1 week on first team and won a game that honestly turned our season around. I think he could turn out to be very good for us this year and next year.