MJ vs JeT

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
VT prepared for facing us with Thomas. It wasn't until gameday that it was known that Jordan would be the starter. And imo that was a big reason for the success in the first half. What worries me about that game is once VT adjusted we didn't have much success in the second half. We hit a homerun with Marshall, but he is no longer here, and Mills hasn't shown anywhere near the big play ability. The only other sustained drive still didn't look that good and resulted in only a FG. People also tend to gloss over the fact that we scored 10 points of drives starting on VT's side of the field. The offense also turned the ball over setting up a short VT TD.

IMO the VT game was most on our defense that had allowed just 7 points halfway into the 4th, and even that was off the turnover. Next biggest factor was VT not having prepared for the different look.

I really don't understand the "legitimate two headed monster" inside thing. Jordan is a more physical runner than Thomas, but it's not like he's Tebow or even Nesbitt on the interior. I think people see the comparison to Thomas and jump too far into the other direction. IMO MJ is closer to Washington as a runner than he is Nesbitt.

My worry for next year offensively is without Thomas and Marshall, and with Jordan's relative inexperience in game time, we will be very much a pound it up the middle team with less explosive plays. Unfortunately where people see consistency I see lots of medium to long drives ending in FGAs. And relying on FGs will likely cost us a couple games next year even if things go well.
And MJ and the offense will be better than they were in that game.

Also, Mills scores on that MM td, the hole up the middle was freaking huge. The MLB followed the pulling guard and the other two backers were wide and too close to the LOS. I think Lee got a tiny piece of the safety and it was all over. That play was more about the defenders being out of position than anything else. MM made a nice move in the hole, but nothing Mills can't do. Yes, he's faster than Mills, but I still think Mills scores.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Lots of ways to look at it concerning MJ, but to me the most important is that we won the VT game on the road with him at QB. Imagine for a moment you are a soph QB with a small amount of game experience, you are told mid week (maybe later) that you are going to be starting against the best team in your division on the road. Their defensive coach is maybe the best in the country. Your OL will consist of three true freshmen and your starting B Back is suspended. Your team is 5-4 and just got beat by 4 TDs the week before. The season is on a knife's edge. If we lose this one we might not win another and that means we don't go to a bowl for the second consecutive year. Now go out there and don't embarrass us. The first attribute of a QB is the ability to handle pressure and lead a team in a tough situation. For at least the VT game, he demonstrated he can do that.

Deleted member 2897

I love how MJ walks up and down the line speaking into each OLs ear to make sure they have the play. He's like Ernie Els in golf - EasyE they call him - never gets too up or too down. Calm, steady eddie. I don't know what he does off the field to keep so calm on Saturdays.

17494864_982287621907390_89926414630912000_n.jpg

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Lots of ways to look at it concerning MJ, but to me the most important is that we won the VT game on the road with him at QB. Imagine for a moment you are a soph QB with a small amount of game experience, you are told mid week (maybe later) that you are going to be starting against the best team in your division on the road. Their defensive coach is maybe the best in the country. Your OL will consist of three true freshmen and your starting B Back is suspended. Your team is 5-4 and just got beat by 4 TDs the week before. The season is on a knife's edge. If we lose this one we might not win another and that means we don't go to a bowl for the second consecutive year. Now go out there and don't embarrass us. The first attribute of a QB is the ability to handle pressure and lead a team in a tough situation. For at least the VT game, he demonstrated he can do that.

Great post.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Here's what I think we can expect from Jordan this year:

Yep. Another Will Worth. Like Coach said about VT last year, this year we'll be running a BB/QB offense with a roughneck at both positions. Less explosion, more grind. I'm so looking forward to that.

SlawDog

Banned
Mathew Jordon engineered a win against VT, at VT, with DM out and three true freshmen linemen, FB out and Fromyan (sp) starting at right tackle. That's impressive! Oh yeah, it was his first start ever!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The most important key to our success on O this year is staying healthy.

Number 2 is skill position blocking. If our guys buy in on this.......Katie bar the door....all else will work out just fine.

D is the big question mark again this year.

SlawDog

Banned
I am concerned but Paul has always chosen the best person at QB for tech since he has been here. However this year, whoever he chooses wont be better than Jet. But the O as a whole may be equal or step fwd due to Ol and other positions.

How do you know he won't be better? Like CPJ says, "It's why they play the game"

If you want a little clickbait, Athlon ranked all the 2017 FBS starting qb's going into spring.

They have MJ at 64. For comparison, Justin was at 28 going into last year and 12 going into 2015.

Up in Athens, they have Son of Corky at 21 up from 46 last year.
Just makes the taste sweeter when he is laying face down on Grant Field at Historic Boddy Dodd Stadium in Nov with the clock hitting ZERO and Tech winning two straight over the $hit eaters.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Here's what I think we can expect from Jordan this year:

Yep. Another Will Worth. Like Coach said about VT last year, this year we'll be running a BB/QB offense with a roughneck at both positions. Less explosion, more grind. I'm so looking forward to that.

Gt ought to be just brutal inside. With bryan, braun, jordan and mills, I feel like gt is a near lock to lead the nation in 4th down attempts because you'll have so many third and fourth and shorts.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Mathew Jordon engineered a win against VT, at VT, with DM out and three true freshmen linemen, FB out and Fromyan (sp) starting at right tackle. That's impressive! Oh yeah, it was his first start ever!

Chill dude. Our defense won that game. Jordan didn't make mistakes and managed that win, he didn't "engineer" it.

Lots of folks are already building a folk hero, it'll make the fall that much worse. Jordan is a tough runner and this long in the system, he should be ready. That being said, I hope he gets he reps and confidence needed to make the pitches and passes needed. I disagree with comments on here about the vt game being designed keepers. I don't think the question is why did he keep it, it's that he didn't look confident when he did pitch it or pass it

That being said, I hope he crushes it. He has the ability to do so, but let's wait and see.

Last edited: