MJ vs JeT

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree that teams split the pitch to force JT inside as a lesser of two evils... and they sent the MLB hard after the AB. If they do this, you will see more MJ TDs or at least 5 yards (similar to Navy) on the edge. He will get 3 yards and two yards after contact. There will be a whole lot more options with MJ. That MLB better scrape down to stop MJ, which should allow the OT a better chance at blocking.

When you run inside well, the edge well, and outside well, there is a miss match in number of people to block the number of lanes. This will cause 9 defenders in the box and open passing.

Passing will still be the difference in a good and great season... unless the defense comes on strong. I am not talking about more than 20 passes a game. I am talking about making the ones you throw count to hit the home run or force the coverage over stacking the box.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Because of Matthew's ability and tendency to take the inside crease, defenders will not be able to slow play the pitch read thereby making the pitch read easier and the pitch itself easier. This will allow for quicker and safer pitches like we saw in the VT game.

With JT, the lesser of the evils was forcing him to keep inside. Not anymore. MJ is going to get four and five a pop if they do that.
That is the Navy model through several generations of QBs it seems, starting with Candeto. Not as glamorous as the pitch, but we'll take the yards and keep moving. And the "slow play the pitch read" is on the money.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I agree that teams split the pitch to force JT inside as a lesser of two evils... and they sent the MLB hard after the AB. If they do this, you will see more MJ TDs or at least 5 yards (similar to Navy) on the edge. He will get 3 yards and two yards after contact. There will be a whole lot more options with MJ. That MLB better scrape down to stop MJ, which should allow the OT a better chance at blocking.

When you run inside well, the edge well, and outside well, there is a miss match in number of people to block the number of lanes. This will cause 9 defenders in the box and open passing.

Passing will still be the difference in a good and great season... unless the defense comes on strong. I am not talking about more than 20 passes a game. I am talking about making the ones you throw count to hit the home run or force the coverage over stacking the box.
All of that sounds good. Like you said the key will be hitting wide open passes. If they are stacking the box, we can have AB or BB slip out much like Marshall against Vandy. I like our chances in 1 on 1's with Steward and Juene with a well placed ball also.