Miles Kelly Testing the Waters

slugboy

Staff member
I suppose it IS possible that a player could use the NBA evaluation to talk to other schools, but despite the tampering rules it looks like other schools are already recruiting players who aren’t in the transfer portal. I haven’t heard of players using the NBA evaluation process to have side-channel conversations with other colleges.

I suppose you get a chance to show off in front of NBA scouts and other schools if you’re invited to the NBA combine, but most college players aren’t invited. They can still get evaluations, but they’ll be local and not at the combine.

I’m not the deepest NBA draft expert, so I’m open to others chiming in here and correcting me.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I honestly wonder if CDS told him to do this. Maybe Pastner’s staff? These decisions are usually vetted by the college program rather than merely parents, AAU/HS coach, etc.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow

Super fair article and breakdown. Today is LAST day to enter Portal, June 1 last day to withdraw from NBA Draft. Hoping no Tech player enters today, and Kelly exits draft to start June - he’s a MAJOR piece for CDS. I think/hope he gets one more year to expand game in a system that will let his skills shine.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

How can this team that I was repeatedly told has no talent has one of the best shooters in the country?

Confused Dogs GIF by MOODMAN

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Did not get invited to combine. Most likely is coming back to GT if he doesn't go overseas or lower level development league.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just passing this along....I connected with Josh Pastner (still CJP) about a variety of things. First time I had communicated with him since he left.

He's hoping to get an offer to do some TV. He said too be continued. Also, I asked him about Miles entering the draft and if he was surprised. Did he think he would be back?

He said that he wasn't surprised that he put his name in, and while he didn't know either way, he would expect him to be back.

slugboy

Staff member
Just passing this along....I connected with Josh Pastner (still CJP) about a variety of things. First time I had communicated with him since he left.

He's hoping to get an offer to do some TV. He said too be continued. Also, I asked him about Miles entering the draft and if he was surprised. Did he think he would be back?

He said that he wasn't surprised that he put his name in, and while he didn't know either way, he would expect him to be back.
I think Pastner would be great on TV

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
How can this team that I was repeatedly told has no talent has one of the best shooters in the country?

Confused Dogs GIF by MOODMAN
Because Kelly was by far GT's best player last year. I don't recall anyone saying he was not talented and a good player. Franklin became a force in February, up to that point he was just a guy. There was a huge dropoff from Kelly to the rest of the team. Terry also played well in February. Seems it took the transfer in guys 3 months to become good ACC players. The rest of the team meh. As you know I think CJP was a poor college coach. Still last year's team was bad for more than bad coaching. The team was overall one of the least talented ACC teams. Note where the transfer outs have landed, generally lower level teams.

Do you think Kelly will be drafted in the next 2 years? I do hope he returns, As a high volume and accurate 3 point shooter is is extremely valuable for any college team. Hopefully it will be GT again. In CDS system he could really blossom into an All ACC player.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
A bit too much like Bill Walton for my taste though much more likable. Limiting his comments would be a challenge
Really? I don't think he is anything like Walton. I doubt Josh even knows who Jerry Garcia was much less the Grateful Dead. Josh is a story teller and goofy enough to be funny. Walton is a west coast hippie. Walton sounds like he tries to be funny while Pastner doesn't come off like he even knows he is funny. With Josh it doesn't feel like an act. With Walton it seems like he tries too hard. They couldn't be more different if they tried.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Really? I don't think he is anything like Walton. I doubt Josh even knows who Jerry Garcia was much less the Grateful Dead. Josh is a story teller and goofy enough to be funny. Walton is a west coast hippie. Walton sounds like he tries to be funny while Pastner doesn't come off like he even knows he is funny. With Josh it doesn't feel like an act. With Walton it seems like he tries too hard. They couldn't be more different if they tried.
I do think there are some similarities but, as you're describing, one comes from a genuine place while the other seems to be manufacturing it.

Doesn't surprise me considering his mentor fabricated his image as well. Wooden was a fraud too.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Point being is they both ramble for long periods on topics that are in no way related to the game or discussion. There are a lot of people who actually like Walton. I am not one and I suspect most GT folks aren't either.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I liked pastner, but I think he would suck on tv. He would ramble aimlessly and endlessly about stuff that has nothing to do with the game. I listened to hundreds of pre-game and post-game interviews he did with Andy Demetra, and pastner never answered a single question that he was asked with an appropriate answer. Every time, he just rambled on answering a question that he wasn’t asked.