Miles Kelly Testing the Waters

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
When does entry into the portal close? Slightly concerned that he didn’t mention the new head coach in his post.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
Nothing wrong with getting feedback. Was glad it was this and not t-portal.
Most players do this so they can unofficially enter portal so that they can through loop holes hear from other schools, historically most do not return to the school they are testing the waters from because of moving up in draft or they decide to enter portal.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Most players do this so they can unofficially enter portal so that they can through loop holes hear from other schools, historically most do not return to the school they are testing the waters from because of moving up in draft or they decide to enter portal.

This is the first Im hearing of a loophole allowing schools to contact students still at other schools because they declared and maintained eligibility. It also wouldn't make much sense because you can enter the portal and return to your previous school without recourse I believe. If he gets feedback from the NBA he can only withdrawal once so this would be using the more restrictive path. Now, maybe he does end up in the portal, but this looks like a traditional declare for the draft to get feedback type of thing, and no reason to put him in the portal until he declares for it himself.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I like the play. Get some experience with the process, come back and put up 17ppg this year leading your team to the Final Four and making a name for yourself, then be nice and loose and prepared for the real deal next offseason.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Idk about “most” players. Terquavion Smith is a good recent example. How often does a guy test the waters and come back to college with a different team? Maybe I’m off on this but I don’t think like it happens more often than not.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

I don't know about most. Mike Devoe did this. Came back. Think Shumpert and Okogie did the same.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope CDS encouraged him to test waters/get feedback in the spirit of “let’s help get you to the next level.” I would be SHOCKED if Kelly stays in draft, and to a much lesser degree, enters portal. Improving Sophomore, improving package of skills, but lack of strong ball handling, reliable mid-range, and so reliant on going right - as well as defensive strength to bang with NBA guards? - he def seems like he needs one or both years ahead. I’m no NBA GM, but have seen enough to believe he’s making a reasonable move to hear from NBA where he needs to improve. I believe we’ll see Kelly putting up 17ppg for us next year.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
He doesn't seem like an NBA level talent at the moment. If he is told that he can make a G-league roster, he might take it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Let's be honest. We were all getting tired of fighting over Stoudamire's hires and the hiring of Stoudamire himself. Now we have something new to argue about!

(Sarcasm...kinda)

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with you all, but all those guys came back with the same coach in place. I hope Miles is back
Where did you get 'Most players do this so they can unofficially enter portal so that they can through loop holes hear from other schools, historically most do not return to the school they are testing the waters from because of moving up in draft or they decide to enter portal" from? I have never seen any information to back any of what you said up. I'm not sure saying one thing, then when everyone points out the opposite saying suddenly 'I agree with you all' even makes sense.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Totally disagree with this. What this does is get him a NBA-level evaluation of what his strengths and weaknesses are from the NBA perspective so he can work on those this year. It gives him a feel for how he's thought about on a more official level than "who the coach knows." Devoe did this, so have many others, such as Strawther and Timme at Gonzaga last year. Many kids do this.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This is the way ....

Part of getting better is finding out what to get better at, from as many parties that can give you honest assessments.