Mikell Lands-Davis

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Starting with Dodd, scholarships are for four years, or until the completion of eligibility. Pretty sure they only sign them once.
Nope. 1 year, renewable scholarships are the norm. Schools can give 4 yr. schollies, but most don't, or at least most athletes at a school is only on a 1 year, renewable. I remember an article a while back that showed a bunch of schools (maybe Top25) and the scholarship distribution. I remember Alabama had about 15 4-yr schollies out of 400 scholarship student athletes between 2012 and 2014, or so.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Coaching. He is at the last handful of years as a coach. He will be weeding players out again next year, building up the roster for 2 more years to see what we can do. Mark it down.

He wont coach much past 5 more years imo.

Landing a bigtime qb or hoping he has one now is going to be a huge task next year. Someone who will rock in his system....if he doesnt see it now its a big priority next class. It may just be 1.

Ive known CPJ for 20 years. Dude is as competitive as they come. If he were ever to get Tech to the CFP, maybe, maybe, he hangs it up after that. Even then, I don't think he does. I think he still enjoys the prep work, the chess game and helping young guys be better at life.
Besides, his handicap is not close enough for him to get on the Champions Tour.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Ive known CPJ for 20 years. Dude is as competitive as they come. If he were ever to get Tech to the CFP, maybe, maybe, he hangs it up after that. Even then, I don't think he does. I think he still enjoys the prep work, the chess game and helping young guys be better at life.
Besides, his handicap is not close enough for him to get on the Champions Tour.

5 years or so....he will be ready to hang em up....or he wont be here imo.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Of the nine post season players leaving with eligibility left, seven were members of the 2015 signing class.

Yep. And in many of those recruitment threads, people were saying how many of those who left were our best signs in a decade.

https://gtswarm.com/threads/why-is-this-class-exceptional.6213/

Some of those same people now say "not so talented after all." You'd think they'd learn to stop jumping the gun before declaring each class the best since 07 and full of 4 star impact.

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
I know we pledge them that way, but I'm pretty sure the NCAA has a different definition right? Don't you have to sign the financial aid agreement every year?

Well, you have to sign for the HOPE scholarship every year, so I would assume athletic scholarships work the same way.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Of the nine post season players leaving with eligibility left, seven were members of the 2015 signing class.
It was one of the largest signing classes with 27. If you look back at any class that is still 75% that are still at Tech which is not that bad. I have no facts but would be willing to bet if you look at any school any year 40% of the players are not at that school 4 years.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This sort of attrition has become the norm all around college football, unfortunately. I've always thought it hurts GT more than it helps because we depend so much on development. In addition to that, experience, especially game reps, is a key factor in the success of our offense. The only way it helps us is if the guys replacing them are ready to go early, like factory players. Maybe we are becoming more like a factory in this regard (talent upgrade). I hope this is the case.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Nope. 1 year, renewable scholarships are the norm. Schools can give 4 yr. schollies, but most don't, or at least most athletes at a school is only on a 1 year, renewable. I remember an article a while back that showed a bunch of schools (maybe Top25) and the scholarship distribution. I remember Alabama had about 15 4-yr schollies out of 400 scholarship student athletes between 2012 and 2014, or so.

So my question then is when do a the 1 year grant expire? Tuition is paid at the start of each semester...so if the grant in aid is for a year and a kid leaves at the start of the semester (whichever the semester that may be) didn't he violate the contract? Just curious how all that works...especially when a guy stays in school.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be required to pay the money back, btw...just curious if anyone knows the inner workings of all that stuff.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
No idea on athletic scholarships, but with typical federal/state financial aid, there is a prorated calculation done on amount of financial aid that must be returned but it is offset by a protated amount of tuition/fees that would be refunded. Depending on situation, a student withdrawing may or may not owe money back to school. Also, school must then return aid to Feds and state.

And, although aid is annual it is paid by semester. If not full-time, payment will be less.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This sort of attrition has become the norm all around college football, unfortunately. I've always thought it hurts GT more than it helps because we depend so much on development. In addition to that, experience, especially game reps, is a key factor in the success of our offense. The only way it helps us is if the guys replacing them are ready to go early, like factory players. Maybe we are becoming more like a factory in this regard (talent upgrade). I hope this is the case.
I have been sitting here for about ten minutes thinking about this comment. It seems to me that player attrition helps us (purely in a FB sense) so long as we have the right guys leaving. I hear what you are saying and it may help us less than it helps BAMA, but it still helps. Protecting the scholarship of unhappy or low contributing members of the roster is honorable, but it hurts the program worse than letting them go for the next recruit. In my estimation it won't get us all the way to having a roster like a top 5 team, but it is a step in that direction. While I agree that our offense requires a little more maturation in the system than most, our defense probably doesn't. We do rely on player development, but if a player isn't developing by year 3, it is unlikely that he will make huge strides in the last two. That isn't universally true, but the most likely scenario. If the truth be told, I get a little unsettled upon hearing players are leaving. Then I just talk myself into recognizing it isn't such a bad thing. Team chemistry is huge. If they don't want to be here, team chemistry will most likely be impacted if they stay.

Of the players leaving this year, Klock and Marshall probably hurt the most. We are unlikely to replace them with new guys who represent an imediate upgrade, if ever. I don't blame either kid, but it will hurt none the less.

I guess, overall, I look at it like this: recruiting is an inexact science and sometimes you miss. If you were only allowed one swing and miss every AB in baseball, there would be a lot more K's. By letting kids loose from the roster, we may still be down in the count (as in a swing and miss), but we have at least another hack before we have to head back to the bench.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have been sitting here for about ten minutes thinking about this comment. It seems to me that player attrition helps us (purely in a FB sense) so long as we have the right guys leaving. I hear what you are saying and it may help us less than it helps BAMA, but it still helps. Protecting the scholarship of unhappy or low contributing members of the roster is honorable, but it hurts the program worse than letting them go for the next recruit. In my estimation it won't get us all the way to having a roster like a top 5 team, but it is a step in that direction. While I agree that our offense requires a little more maturation in the system than most, our defense probably doesn't. We do rely on player development, but if a player isn't developing by year 3, it is unlikely that he will make huge strides in the last two. That isn't universally true, but the most likely scenario. If the truth be told, I get a little unsettled upon hearing players are leaving. Then I just talk myself into recognizing it isn't such a bad thing. Team chemistry is huge. If they don't want to be here, team chemistry will most likely be impacted if they stay.

Of the players leaving this year, Klock and Marshall probably hurt the most. We are unlikely to replace them with new guys who represent an imediate upgrade, if ever. I don't blame either kid, but it will hurt none the less.

I guess, overall, I look at it like this: recruiting is an inexact science and sometimes you miss. If you were only allowed one swing and miss every AB in baseball, there would be a lot more K's. By letting kids loose from the roster, we may still be down in the count (as in a swing and miss), but we have at least another hack before we have to head back to the bench.
Another aspect to having older guys is physical maturation. Size, power, quickness, even speed can and usually is improved over time. One thing I always hear is "this is a young team..." Well, it sure would be nice to have a two deep slap full of upperclassmen.

If guys don't want to be here, well that stinks but they're better off leaving and so are we. I wish guys were more committed to the process of development. Many of the guys leaving haven't reached their full potential on the field and they'd rather leave and try somewhere else than stick it out, improve themselves, compete with their peers and win the job. I'm sure glad Synjyn stuck it out when it appeared he had every reason to pack his bags.

IMG_0865.JPG
Once again

Attachments

• IMG_0864.PNG
    IMG_0864.PNG
    170.6 KB · Views: 54

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Dude is 60 years old so this is by no means a stretch. Depends a lot on health, genetics, luck, fitness, etc. Being a HC after 70 years is the exception, not the rule. I'd take 5 years and be happy with it personally. Anything else is gravy.
It was recently announced that Coach Bill Synder at KSU has throat cancer. Does this mean he's resigning? Not even close. His doctors have worked out a treatment regime that'll have him back for spring practice in March.

I think Coach'll be around as long as Bill Synder. Synder is 78. That means another 18 years. I'll take that. Shoot, I'm hoping and praying for that.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
It was recently announced that Coach Bill Synder at KSU has throat cancer. Does this mean he's resigning? Not even close. His doctors have worked out a treatment regime that'll have him back for spring practice in March.

I think Coach'll be around as long as Bill Synder. Synder is 78. That means another 18 years. I'll take that. Shoot, I'm hoping and praying for that.

I hope so too, very much. Snyder is a cool story, and was the exact guy I had in mind when I typed " exception to the rule".

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow

CPJ seems like he wants to actually have a retirement though.

It's come up a couple times in interviews and he's said he's not the kind of guy that's going to die in his office.