Mikell Lands-Davis

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Good luck to the young man. I think we are witnessing GT moving more toward the football factory model in order to compete at a higher level. At top level schools players are dealt with honestly in being advised of where they stand and their prospects of getting on the field. After some period of time, if the results are not there, many are encouraged to move on. I am beginning to feel that we are seeing more of this at Tech. Some of these guys have a better chance of playing at a lower classification of competition and choose to move on. To me, the only guy we have lost that was a definite contributor was Marcus Marshall. The rest really provide an opportunity for us to upgrade through additional recruiting slots or transfers.

Go Jackets!

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
It is what it is. The coaches liked him enough to move him from a position he would never have made the rotation and then he played himself out of the rotation at WR. Balancing academics and athletics at any school is a challenge that requires passion for the game. It is difficult to love something with limited time on the field. I hope he finds happiness going forward here or somewhere else.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think we are pretty deep at A-back. Searcy, Lynch, and Green all return and saw significant playing time last year. Lynch is amazing and those other 2 are no slouches themselves. We will be fine. If Gantt or Cottrell step up and get meaningful playing time over the aforementioned 3, then we should be amazing. I'm thrilled with Searcy, Lynch and Green as the 3 main guys in AB rotation.
And we also have Jarrett. Blessed at AB.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Well I feel like he could contribute at some point, but i don't know if he would've ever been a starter. Cream rises to the top, more openings for young talent. Wish he would've left before signing day.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Candidly I am surprised this doesn't happen more often at Tech. I know a number of athletes at lesser schools that decided to forego their scholarship because the demands of football combined with performing well in school wore them down over time. Another factor for many of them must be the realization that the dreams of NFL riches are unrealistic and in many cases they will not be a "star" or even a starter at their current school. It is a lot of work to "ride the bench".

For some the love of the game leads them to transfer to a school where they are more likely to play. Others just give up the dream. Sad to see him quit but glad he wasn't a starter.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Candidly I am surprised this doesn't happen more often at Tech. I know a number of athletes at lesser schools that decided to forego their scholarship because the demands of football combined with performing well in school wore them down over time. Another factor for many of them must be the realization that the dreams of NFL riches are unrealistic and in many cases they will not be a "star" or even a starter at their current school. It is a lot of work to "ride the bench".

For some the love of the game leads them to transfer to a school where they are more likely to play. Others just give up the dream. Sad to see him quit but glad he wasn't a starter.
Even if you never play a down, you get a free world class education that sets you up for life. Go to practice, watch games from the sidelines, get a free world class education. Hey, maybe you can actually earn your way on the field by working your tail off and beating out the other guy.... hmmm...... if not, so freaking what? I busted my tail training for a club sport that cost me money while I was a student. I got to wear a GT on my chest and go against other ACC club teams and beat quite a few. Felt pretty damn good and I had no free tuition, meals, books, tutors, boarding, etc.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
That is to your credit and certainly many see it through to the end and reap the benefits. Others put higher "price tags" on starting for a team, NFL hopes etc and that is their prerogative as well. I hold Tech athletes who persevere and graduate in high esteem precisely because it is a difficult road and they make it to the end.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
PJ is soon done with what? Coaching? Weeding players out?

Coaching. He is at the last handful of years as a coach. He will be weeding players out again next year, building up the roster for 2 more years to see what we can do. Mark it down.

He wont coach much past 5 more years imo.

Landing a bigtime qb or hoping he has one now is going to be a huge task next year. Someone who will rock in his system....if he doesnt see it now its a big priority next class. It may just be 1.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Just curious, but how do the financial aid agreements work? I believe they are signed every year right? When are they signed and to what period of time do they apply?