Mike Bobinski and The Search of Doom

THWG72

Georgia Tech Fan
The future is looking grim for Tech athletics. If we can't get a good coach to come here, even for a pay raise, then why would we think high caliber athletes would. Something is seriously broken and needs to be addressed pronto! As far as the coaching search, we know a few of the issues.
1. Money- we're paying 2 coaches already.
2. Institutional issues- the people running the school apparently don't give a crap about the athletics.
3. Talent- roster is dipleted and it's going to be a total rebuild. Will take a few seasons to fix the mess Gregory left.
4. Just fired a 20 win coach. Sends a bad message. Should of given Gregory 1 more year and fired him after a 10 win season.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
The future is looking grim for Tech athletics. If we can't get a good coach to come here, even for a pay raise, then why would we think high caliber athletes would. Something is seriously broken and needs to be addressed pronto! As far as the coaching search, we know a few of the issues.
1. Money- we're paying 2 coaches already.
2. Institutional issues- the people running the school apparently don't give a crap about the athletics.
3. Talent- roster is dipleted and it's going to be a total rebuild. Will take a few seasons to fix the mess Gregory left.
4. Just fired a 20 win coach. Sends a bad message. Should of given Gregory 1 more year and fired him after a 10 win season.

It's really not as dire as everyone is making it out to be. Win games consistently, people will want to come here. Pretty simple. GT has a sub Boston College level roster for next year. It scares a lot of good guys away.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
While we wait, we are sacrificing critical time with the most talented class to pass through the state of GA in recent memory while other schools openly point out our lack of direction, stability, winning. Not to mention our inability to prolonge recruits from signing early with other programs while we get our ducks in a row. Right now we are a program that has not been to the tourney in 6 years that has absolutely no one recruiting or talking to grad transfers with a team that just lost 50-80% of its production in all major categories.
Let me tell you something, that ship sailed last year when Gregory was kept on (for the right reasons, aka buyout, I should add). I think it is the dumbest argument that we need to hire a new coach ASAP because of recruiting. And let me say before i start that I'm not singling you out peac because I've heard this argument too much lately from too many people. I don't care how good the players are, it makes no sense to hire a coach that is potentially a multiple 4 year class decision based on one recruiting cycle. That is to say, rush to pick a coach so that maybe, by chance we land one of the big recruits in this cycle, and on top of that, they live up to the big recruiting billing. That is insanely stupid. More likely than not, next year will be a down year for GT basketball. I'd much rather live with that and hire a coach that can build the foundation for sustained success. We don't know who will be hired, it may be a big name or not. What I do know, however, is that big names can be successful as well as falling on their butts. The same exact thing can be said of smaller named coaches ( less experienced). Look at Virginia and ncstate as prime example for my argument. The other thing I know is that mbob has yet to make a bad hire for bball coach. Everybody needs to get over a search taking longer than 2 weeks. Hell, I'll wait two months of that means a decade of relevent GT bball, over getting what are supposedly great recruits in one cycle, that may or may not pan out. As I said before, everybody needs to chill and just wait it out and have faith that mbob will get it done. Sure we struck out on Drew, but I wouldn't pay 2.7 mil for him and I'm sure most of you wouldn't either. Besides Drew, everything else is 100% speculation.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Side note: I find it very strange and ironic to see all of these fans of mid-tier schools who have been successful last 5-7 years, on twitter searching for GT content to bash the fanbase.

Their only argument is our record.

GT has the facilities, the location, the history, conference, the academics. It's not easy to find a coach to mesh all of what it has to offer into a winning program but once someone who can handle the job comes in, all will be forgotten.

Win games and GT becomes relevant again.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
McCall over Keatts?
If Keatts had no air pollution related to the Louisville thing, he'd be my #1 right now and among my top 3 from the outset of the search. If I thought we'd successfully build out clauses in to a deal, I'd say hold your nose and do it. Big If though.