Miami

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I understand Gibson felt better about his slider but Zamora just whiffed his fastball the last pitch. I would have thrown it again. That was a tough one to swallow.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Just need to come out and win tomorrow. Love the way the guys have fought this weekend though.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Other than Hughes, I haven’t been impressed by anyone out of the bullpen. English has been roughed up twice in a row, as has Gibson. No one besides Hughes has gotten any meaningful innings that I can recall.

Obviously, it’s a HUGE problem as this makes two blown games (NW, Miami) where we really should have won. It’s the difference between being decent and really good.

My prediction is another L tomorrow. Usually in a 3 game series between comparable teams each team wins one solidly and the 3rd game is close, hard fought and decides the series. Tonight was our chance.

Keep hearing how great our pitching is. Keep seeing our bullpen blow games. Talent is there. Performance is not. Coaching?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
So far, I would say that we are a good team. Great teams score with RISP and 2 outs more often than not. They also end that half of the inning when trying to get a third out. So far, we are not neither scoring nor forcing the 3rd out.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Today will tell us a lot about team. They dug out of hole yesterday and lost a heart-breaker. Need to show that toughness today and win or at worst make Miami fight and scrap for a win. We are not clicking on all cylinders yet. Hope are all tuned soon. Miami probably not fully tuned either.

1-1 to start ACC play and both games could have gone either way in the final inning. So far, our starting weekend pitching has been solid, and our hitting seems to be coming around as long as we can learn to lay off pitches out of the zone. Jury is still out on the bullpen, but there is much to be optimistic about with a few shining moments.

Hopefully we can fotget about giving up the 2 out, 2 strike walkoff homerun in the bottom of the ninth last night and take this road series today. Hurter has pitched like our day 2 starter thus far.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Other than Hughes, I haven’t been impressed by anyone out of the bullpen. English has been roughed up twice in a row, as has Gibson. No one besides Hughes has gotten any meaningful innings that I can recall.

Obviously, it’s a HUGE problem as this makes two blown games (NW, Miami) where we really should have won. It’s the difference between being decent and really good.

My prediction is another L tomorrow. Usually in a 3 game series between comparable teams each team wins one solidly and the 3rd game is close, hard fought and decides the series. Tonight was our chance.

Keep hearing how great our pitching is. Keep seeing our bullpen blow games. Talent is there. Performance is not. Coaching?

At least with the time change, the end will come quicker today.

I expect us to lose but hope we win. I think it will be a blowout one way or the other since both games have been so close.

Right now I think we are an average ACC team which should get us into the NCAAs to go to someone else's (Florida) regional. Maybe we get a lot better relative to other teams, the pieces are there from a player standpoint. But Hall is still coaching like we don't have pitching depth.

The Miami announcers were pretty good last night; they called out the weaknesses on the Miami team - mostly fielding. They also were questioning why Gibson stayed in to go through the batting order a second time. I thought Gibson was a bad choice when I heard he came in; other than the first and last batter, he proved me wrong. :cautious: What I still can't believe is that we didn't have anyone warming up in the bullpen.

In any event, one more good pitch, or a better defensive play in the game to reduce the number of batters and we would be celebrating our first ACC road series win in years. Miami gave us chances, their LF is awful at tracking down the ball. Maybe it was the wind, but Murray did a much better job in LF.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Difficult to get past how close we were to 2 wins already in this series. If the team manages to put it behind them & put together a quality game, they are better than I in that regard.

It does seem we are better situated to win today based on how down UM announcers were on their pitching depth. Need to jump on them early & relieve any pressure Hurter may be feeling.