Miami

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, I'll watch parts of the game today, re-recording now so I can go to the best parts. I want to see Hall's 10th inning catch. I didn't see any highlight plays.

ACC Network was out on Sling last night here so I went out with my wife rather than stress through a game after a truly crappy week. Also the StatBroadcast data feed for baseball is now locked. (Password anyone?)

Fabulous year for Hughes so far - 17.1 IP and 0.52 ERA. Holding Miami to 4 runs in 10 innings was very good. X had 106 pitches; 9 SO and no BB. He is just regular great and moving up the likely draft rounds. We did hit three batters - 2 by X and 1 by Hughes.

We had good pitching against the #2 hitting team in the ACC and many good defensive plays. Including the second throw out of an attempted steal by McCann. No errors recorded, any sloppy plays and missed opportunities? Regardless, Miami had two errors with another passed ball. The Miami error in the second gave us an extra AB and the one in the third was on the lead-off hitter Waddell AB where he bunted but an error gave him second. I guess it was an earned run since Guldberg singled next driving him in and then English homered on the third AB. So English would have driven in Waddell either way, but still ...... It's nice to see another team lose based on poor defense.

We left 7 on and Miami 8. There were a lot of pressure situations for both sides and missed opportunities; but GTs OPS (On-base Plus Slugging%) was .921 to Miami's .781. We made more of what we had.

Hitting was there - both teams with 10 hits. But we had 4 walks to Miami's one. Our patience at the plate is starting to pay off.

It took everything to win. Let's get another one today! I'll post some highlights later if I can, any requests from people who watched the game?

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
@GTNavyNuke - great write up. Probably our biggest missed opportunity came in the 8th or 9th - we had Colin on 3rd with one out in a tie game and could not bring him home. He tried to score on a wild pitch but the Miami catcher made a truly remarkable play to get the ball to the pitcher at home to make the tag. Not a GT highlight but worth checking out.

As far as GT highlights go, Wilhite made a great play at short in B10 vs the first batter. Made a great read on a ball that very well could have blooped in as a leadoff hit which could have drastically changed the complexion of that inning. And of course the Colin Hall catch in RF to end the game. Looked to be a walkoff homerun or hit but he somehow came up with it on the wall. Got a great reaction out of the whole team.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, here is one of the game winning plays. 1st inning throw out. Two batters later there is a double which would have scored the Miami player. Acceptable throw by McCann, GREAT play by Austin. This is an example of what wins games; every play can be huge.

Another D note; Serratos appears to have had zero plays (attempts) yesterday. It was the Miami 3rd baseman with a second inning error which may have led to two additional hitters for GT. Extend the game & pitches.

a>

http://www.mediafire.com/file/f17hm8je8xxlb09/Miami_G1_1st_Throw_Out.flv/file

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
@gt13 & @GTNavyNuke You both covered most of the big stuff. We did have missed opportunities. We had a base running blunder. In 7th... Waddell walked, Guldberg singled. With no outs & those guys on 1st&2nd, English lined out to LF right in front of Waddell.... he must have been "sure" ball was going to drop. He was wrong & got doubled up at 2nd. Just can't make that kind of mistake.

I'd love to hear other opinions. ...& I'd like to see it again. While I agree the Miami catcher (& pitcher) made a great play to get Hall at home on wild pitch in 9th, I don't see any way the pitcher could have applied a tag to a sliding Hall there. As it was his momentum had he going past plate forcing him to desperately reach backwards to apply tag to an upright Hall's midsection. Had Hall scored, McCann would likely still only have a measly 9 HRs.... ;)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I liked seeing the power last night 3HRs accounting for 4 of the 5 runs...especially since 2 of those were off English's bat (great sign). However, we gotta do more stringing hits together & putting up crooked numbers that way.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
ACC Network was out on Sling last night here so I went out with my wife rather than stress through a game after a truly crappy week. Also the StatBroadcast data feed for baseball is now locked. (Password anyone?)

I also use Sling. If the game isn't on the main app, I can often find it in the ESPN app and use my Sling credentials. That's how I watched the game last night.

And check d1baseball.com for scores. They'll link you to the stats for the home team's website.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I also use Sling. If the game isn't on the main app, I can often find it in the ESPN app and use my Sling credentials. That's how I watched the game last night.

And check d1baseball.com for scores. They'll link you to the stats for the home team's website.

I was following the D1 Baseball site for stats some. In truth, when I didn't find it I was just as happy to not have the stress of watching the game.

Tonight I'm rested and ready to go - plan to be in chat! Have a great local vodka that tasted better to me than Tito's to pair with the game.

The following two videos aren't that good. What's the easiest way to upload .mp4 or .flv files? Right now I put into MediaFire to get a URL. The files are too big to just upload with the button below.

Here's McCanns HR ....
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dqlzex26bez666y/2019-03-09_15-06-13.flv/file

And here's the Hall catch. Not as exciting as watching live, but I'm still glad he made it on replay.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/tx6jq681bcla8pc/2019-03-09_15-40-30.flv/file

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
Austin Wilhite out of the lineup tonight. Anyone know what happened? I don't recall him getting hurt last night and he looked fine in the 10th inning.

Obviously this changes the lineup quite a bit. Waddell at SS, Guldberg at 2nd, and Radcliff will DH at 8th in the lineup. This is a big chance for him to earn some more playing time IMO.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Austin Wilhite out of the lineup tonight. Anyone know what happened? I don't recall him getting hurt last night and he looked fine in the 10th inning.

Obviously this changes the lineup quite a bit. Waddell at SS, Guldberg at 2nd, and Radcliff will DH at 8th in the lineup. This is a big chance for him to earn some more playing time IMO.

Really hurts our defense. He made a bunch of great plays last night.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Did Guldberg (our best hitter avg wise) lay down a sac bunt in the first inning? Did that happen?

Danny Hall at his god damn finest right there. Lead off double with a lineup thats scorching hot. And he manufactures a scoreless inning. He is actively bringing our run totals down every year.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Danny Hall at his god damn finest right there. Lead off double with a lineup thats scorching hot. And he manufactures a scoreless inning. He is actively bringing our run totals down every year.
The is no reason to EVER sacrifice bunt in the first inning. Period. Even worse that you sacrifice with one of the two guys in the country who haven’t struck out. Pretty good chance he would put it in play.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Goldberg was within a half step of being safe. English popping out was a worse play.

The Miami pitcher has totally shut us down. May not get 6 hits today until we get him out. And we aren't getting his pitch count up.

Update. Down 2-0 on another hit after a steal. Time to watch another show.

Last edited:

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I’d love to see a GT/CDH stat of how often we have sacrificed with no outs and the % of that run actually scoring.

I think it would look bad for CDH. Both b/c it’s dumb in college and also b/c we’ve historically been a poor bunting team.

It’s also not only the scoring. Maybe we get 1 run in that inning but it’s killing chances of putting up crooked numbers. If I were an opposing coach I’d be cheering every time we bunted.