Miami

Deleted member 2897

Disappointed with yesterday more than today, but still loved the fight the guys showed. I'm glad they don't give up as easily as some of y'all do.

Yea this is a hard one. We were 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th away from winning the series. But we were also a 10th inning victory away from being swept. As fans, I think we should try and opt for being relentlessly positive.

Gotta beat GaSo this week. No exceptions. Gotta go 2-1 against Virginia no exceptions - they aren’t playing good right now. A sweep would be nice and would make us forget game 2 last weekend. Anything less than 3-1 for this week and it’s going to be hard not to compare this season to the previous several.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
......but still loved the fight the guys showed. I'm glad they don't give up as easily as some of y'all do.

I resemble that remark!

As fans, we can't do much except go along for the ride. When it sucks, I just leave. Watching doesn't do anything productive for anyone.

I am glad that the players don't give up too. I think they (and we) would be a lot better served in winning games at GT by a different coaching staff. As I just said, Hall makes the whole less than the sum of the parts. I think Hall does a great job of getting players to the MLB. His favs do really well. But as a team winning games, we have sucked for years.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To CDH's credit, Gberg looked overmatched in his one at bat, and do we know that it was a called bunt (i didn't start watching til later on)? Some guys have green light. Obviously the strategy was to dump left handers on Saturday. Still probably doesn't make sense to play for one with the heart of the lineup..

https://sports.stackexchange.com/questions/64/when-is-a-sacrifice-bunt-a-statistically-good-option

I think Guldberg's bunt attempt was a bunt for a hit as much as anything. He is very fast and was close to beating it out. The best things about a good bunt attempt are it is either 1) an out advancing the runner or 2) an in-field hit and 3) doesn't result in a double play. Of course a bad bunt attempt that doesn't advance the runner is a waste.

The problem with the stats is when is it a bunt and when is it an in-field hit?

Also, the stats can't take into account how fast the player is. Nick will be a lot more successful than Tristin at beating out the throw.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
I resemble that remark!

As fans, we can't do much except go along for the ride. When it sucks, I just leave. Watching doesn't do anything productive for anyone.

I am glad that the players don't give up too. I think they (and we) would be a lot better served in winning games at GT by a different coaching staff. As I just said, Hall makes the whole less than the sum of the parts. I think Hall does a great job of getting players to the MLB. His favs do really well. But as a team winning games, we have sucked for years.

I think you hit the nail on the head...His favs do really well...he clearly has favorites and coaches that way. I am sure many/most coaches do the same but it seems to be the norm here.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think you hit the nail on the head...His favs do really well...he clearly has favorites and coaches that way. I am sure many/most coaches do the same but it seems to be the norm here.

I've got no problem with the favs getting most of the playing time and opportunities; when it's best for the team. The problem is the TEAM doesn't win as much as the recruited talent would indicate.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
I've got no problem with the favs getting most of the playing time and opportunities; when it's best for the team. The problem is the TEAM doesn't win as much as the recruited talent would indicate.

Couldn't agree more regarding favs getting the opportunity when it's best for the team. We should be killing it year over year with the talent we have.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Guldberg's bunt attempt was a bunt for a hit as much as anything. He is very fast and was close to beating it out. The best things about a good bunt attempt are it is either 1) an out advancing the runner or 2) an in-field hit and 3) doesn't result in a double play. Of course a bad bunt attempt that doesn't advance the runner is a waste.

The problem with the stats is when is it a bunt and when is it an in-field hit?

Also, the stats can't take into account how fast the player is. Nick will be a lot more successful than Tristin at beating out the throw.
That makes sense. If he can run, then that's not a bad time to bunt.