Miami

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
With all the talk about analytics these days, and the pitching coaches I’ve heard talk about 6 man rotations or 5 pitcher games going 3-3-1-1-1, when do y’all think this will translate to the college game? I keep hearing that pitchers are being trained to only throw 3 innings at a time max from a young age, but it hasn’t really happened, as a rule, in college baseball yet.

I heard the other day that a 5 man rotation only started in the early to mid 80’s, which was just when I was established. 4 man rotation was the rule before that and everyone said a 5 man would never work.

As a purist, I like letting the starter get into and out of trouble to see what he’s got, and then go from there. Even the “hold” stat is weird to me. I still love the 7 inning from starter, 1 from setup, and 1 from closer model. That’s all assuming the starter is on his game, or else Harvey Wholestaff is always in play!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
With all the talk about analytics these days, and the pitching coaches I’ve heard talk about 6 man rotations or 5 pitcher games going 3-3-1-1-1, when do y’all think this will translate to the college game? I keep hearing that pitchers are being trained to only throw 3 innings at a time max from a young age, but it hasn’t really happened, as a rule, in college baseball yet.

I heard the other day that a 5 man rotation only started in the early to mid 80’s, which was just when I was established. 4 man rotation was the rule before that and everyone said a 5 man would never work.

As a purist, I like letting the starter get into and out of trouble to see what he’s got, and then go from there. Even the “hold” stat is weird to me. I still love the 7 inning from starter, 1 from setup, and 1 from closer model. That’s all assuming the starter is on his game, or else Harvey Wholestaff is always in play!
I agree and think the model of using tons of pitchers is stupid and is classic over management. Find someone who “has it” that night and ride that hoss.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Info (CDH comments) from post-presser:
-Datoc bounces back. (i.e. pitching consecutive days isn't an issue). Was nice he only threw 6 pitches; but he can probably pitch "everyday" [I had wondered this...& I interpret this to mean CDH has no issue with Datoc pitching again today & Sunday if situation dictates & not too lengthy]
-Waddell "strained" his calf. He is day-to-day... CDH "gut" says he will be out awhile.
-Radcliff is "working very hard" ...liked the way he swung it last night. He'll be a big producer in future.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Besides the obvious incentive to win any game (and capture the series)... a home conference game... against a coastal rival ahead of us in standings....

...it really is worth considering that Connor Thomas has had 2 really good Sat starts (one ok start) giving the team opportunities to win; but different things have led to disappointing loses in all 3 of his ACC starts. Need to come out firing & pick him up today!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just a few stats that bring a smile to my face:
Curry—51 K/12 BB, 1.05 WHIP
Thomas—36 K/3 BB, 1.15 WHIP
Archer—16 K/3 BB, 0.94 WHIP
English—13 K/1 BB, 1.27 WHIP

This depth is something we haven't had in a long time. Makes one look forward to the postseason possibilities.

But GT is usually just good enough to break your heart. Maybe that is changed for one season?

Deleted member 2897

This depth is something we haven't had in a long time. Makes one look forward to the postseason possibilities.

But GT is usually just good enough to break your heart. Maybe that is changed for one season?

36K versus 3 BB for X? Holy wow.