Miami

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Miami coming to town this weekend. This will be a good test (litmus test) to feel out where Ga Tech can shake out in the muddled ACC.

RPI rankings: GT is #42 / Miami is #65.

Broken record...but imperative to win the series. Statistically.. Miami is good at keeping games low-scoring (via really good pitching... and really bad offense). I like our chances as long as we pitch well and play solid defensively. How's that for ground-breaking analysis of keys to success for Ga Tech baseball? :geek:

Stat / GT / MIA
BA / .310 / .257
Runs / 6.8 / 4.5 (last in ACC)
HRs / 1.42 / 0.30

ERA / 5.03 / 2.89 (1st in ACC)
WHIP / 1.45 / 1.24

Fld% / .967 /.962 (last in ACC)

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
At what point in the season is RPI an adequate predictor of a team? Are we there? Genuinely curious.

This Miami team looks pretty damn good on paper. Looking at ACC-only stats, their ERA is 1.98 (we're 2nd worst at 7.22). For batting avg, we're first but they're not far behind.

So far they won the ND series at home 2-1, lost to Duke on the road 1-2, and swept UVA at home. I'm glad we're in Atlanta this weekend.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
This one is a must win series (as really all the home series are if we have any hope to reach .500 in ACC). To me this one is more important than the rest b/c

1). It’s the next one (duh)
2). If we don’t win this one, IMHO, we will be too far under to realistically expect to achieve .500 no matter what we do in the remains series (key word being realistically .... obviously we could do it mathmatically, but don’t see it happening if we lose this series
3). It’s Miami. Not matter if they are really good or not, they are historically good and holding serve on them provides a confidence building lift, just like winning the series last W/E bs NCST would have. Sweeping UVA to me indicates they are pretty darn good, along w a conference ERA under 2.00. We gotta just step up & perform. Now or never in my opinion.

Deleted member 2897

Its hard to call for a sweep. But we just beat Auburn and could have gone 2-1 against NC State (at least). We've been a few bad bounces away from some success. It sure would be just what the doctor ordered if we could serve up a trio of 7-4-ish wins this weekend.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Wasn’t calling for a sweep, although that would be glorious & we are probably capable if we play near perfect baseball. I was just saying we need to win the series

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Great question, @bensaysitathome ...I have no idea about when RPI is useful. I know it gets more useful as the season progresses. Miami does look good on paper (pitching-wise)... really good. They have played a difficult schedule (like us). I recall last season opening up the ACC schedule with Miami down there. They looked even worse on paper offensively... I think. And I was fooled into thinking exactly the same thing I'm thinking now... :nailbiting: ...that we had a decent advantage. We proceeded to poop our pants on the mound giving up double digit run totals in both losses that weekend. Such is my plight as a follower of this team. That (poor pitching) cannot happen again.

tkh74

Georgia Tech Fan
Off to see mickey in the AM with the grandkids on their spring break trip!! Won't get the chance to help pull the team up this weekend. Trusting you all to do the heavy lifting. I highly dislike the team we're playing this weekend!!!!! I expect 2 of 3 plus a big win against the puppies by the time I get back.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I hate The U also. I remember last year when they destroyed us, after seeming to be a bad team before playing us. And then they went down hill after playing us.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

My completely emotional & subjective take on this lineup is.....
This GT offense + GT pitching > the other guy's offense + other guy's pitching

Feeling pretty good about GT scoring... for some reason. Again... more wishful emotion than anything else.

GO YELLOW JACKETS!!!!