• Miami by 7-13

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Miami by 14+

Votes: 4 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
True: Our second half D was awful vs UT, and we've faced less than great offenses since then.
Also True: As others have said, our D was able to keep those bad offenses in check--which it has not done consistently in past seasons.

giphy.gif

I think our D is legitimately improved.

On the flip side, Rozier is legit. My take, fwiw, is that FSU played pretty tight coverage for the most part, but he dropped some incredible passes right where they needed to be in order to score at the end of that game. I think the tight coverage from FSU slowed Rozier for most of the game, but that he'll now come out more confident against us.

If we can get some picks early, we might be able to get him back in his shell.

On offense, I don't think anyone should bet against CPJ, especially with a couple of weeks to prepare. I do wonder if the heat/humidity affects our OL who are expected to fire off the line in scoops or fire off the line to get down field more than is typically discussed. Is it a coincidence that Shamire was able to play so many snaps vs UT with it being a night game? Still, I think we put it all together this week.

56-0

Ramblin_Rick

Georgia Tech Fan
This game is all about whose defense shuts down the other offense. If our offense is contained, we tend to lose. I am more concerned with their linebackers than their offense.

Go Jackets!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
True: Our second half D was awful vs UT, and we've faced less than great offenses since then.
Also True: As others have said, our D was able to keep those bad offenses in check--which it has not done consistently in past seasons.

giphy.gif

On the flip side, Rozier is legit. My take, fwiw, is that FSU played pretty tight coverage for the most part, but he dropped some incredible passes right where they needed to be in order to score at the end of that game. I think the tight coverage from FSU slowed Rozier for most of the game, but that he'll now come out more confident against us.

On offense, I don't think anyone should bet against CPJ, especially with a couple of weeks to prepare. I do wonder if the heat/humidity affects our OL who are expected to fire off the line in scoops or fire off the line to get down field more than is typically discussed. Is it a coincidence that Shamire was able to play so many snaps vs UT with it being a night game? Still, I think we put it all together this week.

56-0
56-0
That's a view from the top.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
For those worried about how we typically play against University-7, here is a reminder from last year:
Total Yards: Georgia Tech 361, University-7 355.
University-7 on 3rd down: 1 of 7.
Time of Possession: Georgia Tech 4o minutes, University-7 20 minutes.
Georgia Tech yards per rush: 5
Passing: 11 of 19

The big difference is the obvious difference - 3 turnovers, 2 of which were scoop and scores. We did not get any turnovers back. If you play any good team and go -3 in turnover margin, a 2 touchdown difference is probably what you'd expect.

University-7 had 4 sacs and 8 tackles for loss. Whereas we had 0 sacs and 3 tackles for loss. (12 versus 3) That discrepancy is just as bad as a turnover.

If we keep the turnovers even or in our favor and we play competently on defense, we can compete with University-7.
I actually looked up the same thing yesterday. Initially, I was pleased with the TOP and score relative to the two huge turnovers. But then I realized they almost matched us in yardage with half the TOP, which made me uncomfortable. I think we're going to have a tough time stopping them from moving the ball offensively given their talented skill players. People are mentioning turnovers, and rightfully so, but a big key on defense is going to be tackling in space. We can't afford to give up big plays to a team like Miami in their house.

Deleted member 2897

giphy.gif

56-0

Well Rosier had some good throws, but he missed 25 throws. And now he's down his main RB and a couple WRs. So the odds of guys running the correct route in the way he expects and getting separation just dropped a little bit.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I actually looked up the same thing yesterday. Initially, I was pleased with the TOP and score relative to the two huge turnovers. But then I realized they almost matched us in yardage with half the TOP, which made me uncomfortable. I think we're going to have a tough time stopping them from moving the ball offensively given their talented skill players. People are mentioning turnovers, and rightfully so, but a big key on defense is going to be tackling in space. We can't afford to give up big plays to a team like Miami in their house.
I get this but our D has MAJORLY improved from last year, and I'm not to sure their O has. If our D plays like they have been recently and their O plays like they have recently, I don't see this as a major concern.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, it's always important to understand statistics within their context. For example, yes, Miami was 1 of 7 on 3rd down. They punted the other 6 times. In other words, they scored 3 offensive touchdowns, with drives of 85, 90, and 75 yards without a third down.

Deleted member 2897

Georgia Tech 26
Miami 23

We both start slow and then as we get comfortable, we both slow down more. Then with reckless abandon in the last 3rd of the game we both figure out how to score and drive both fan bases crazy, resulting in hundreds of heart attacks and broken TVs. Hundreds of zoologists and environmental biologists show up with a few minutes left in the game to corral all the surrender cobras that have been let loose in South Florida over the last decade.

Here is the rare Disgusted Rattler with a Surrender Cobra rearing up behind her.
VPOopB.gif

Jmonty71

Banned
I am going with a 41-38 GT win. I think the D will struggle. I also think we turn the ball over 1 time, making the score closer than what it should. But, we'll do just enough, to squeak out a win. I suspect the pro Roof folks will not be beating their chests, after this game. But, the offense is still capable to running on anyone at any time.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Nobody has mentioned the weather factor .Prediction rain and wet field.That is not good for a "ball-handling" team for fumbles.Because of that and their STs and our 1st AWAY game -I see us getting a bunch of yds but then 28-24 them.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Nobody has mentioned the weather factor .Prediction rain and wet field.That is not good for a "ball-handling" team for fumbles.Because of that and their STs and our 1st AWAY game -I see us getting a bunch of yds but then 28-24 them.
This. Our offense will have a MUCH harder time if it really rains for this game. Cuts are much harder, and pitching a wet ball? <shudders>

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
This. Our offense will have a MUCH harder time if it really rains for this game. Cuts are much harder, and pitching a wet ball? <shudders>
So Miami's best RB is out but we expect them to sling the ball around in the rain? Seems like pitching is easier than throwing.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
So Miami's best RB is out but we expect them to sling the ball around in the rain? Seems like pitching is easier than throwing.
You have a point....but I have always heard that the offense has the advantage in the rain because the receivers know where they are going and the defenders don't. Pitching (I suppose) is done more often under immediate pressure than passing.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
GT 31
UM 27

GT TD in the final two minutes to take a 10 point lead. UM scores TD to cut the lead and goes for two and fails. GT covers the onside kickoff attempt and WINS!