Miami Postgame

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We had 57 running plays and Jordan had 28. That percentage seems awfully high for a QB in our system. I hope we work on him getting the ball in someone else's hands this week otherwise the game against the Mutts is really going to suck. They'd like nothing better than to key on just the QB.
Don't you think that is a combination of a kid's first game as option QB and a built-in reticence to make the outside pitch, and Johnson's dumbing down the offense to fit Jordan's experience level -- follows, midlines, keepers? When Thomas went out much of the sophistication of the offense went with him. Too bad, but Jordan is a keeper, and while today's results were humbling -- four lost fumbles, nine in all? -- I do feel a lot better about Jordan as a QB. Hated to find out this way though.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There was a lot to like with Jordan today. I would say the kid has come a long way since we saw him last. It was very pleasant to see some midline run physically and some QB follows / sneaks too. He attacked defenders and got headed downhill better than JT has recently. Obviously, there were too many mistakes and balls on the ground, but you could see some development had taken place. Did he keep a lot? Yes, however, the weather was terrible much of the game and, quite honestly, a lot of the time it seemd like the safest thing to do. Today, marked the first time that I saw MJ look like a legit contender for playing time. Some of his pitches reminded me of JT in his RFR season.

MJ is quicker than Byerly, more physical than JT and a pretty natural thrower of the ball. Now that he is starting to grasp the offense some, he could push both of them. Heck, we may need him to run the show next weekend. In any case, despite the horrible loss, today was a very important day for several players, especially him.

It was good to see Lynn Griffin show some badly needed ability to defeat tackles from the AB spot and get some yards that maybe some others have not. That bodes well. Marshall showed that tailback ability on the speed option that we have missed for a while now. That play is a great change up for our offense.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
#94 was awesome, 51, 49, 65 were other youngsters I noticed had good games. A lot of first and second year guys got a lot of time on the field today. The roster is absolutely filled with these guys with a lot of ability! We should NOT give up on them for they will prevail as early as next year. So my fellow fans DO NOT dwell on this season for they inherit BOBBY DODD stadium. But wait we can still send the mutts to the vets clinics. Oh, indeed I forgot they have their own school of such!

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow

Big difference a year makes....I feel better now and can sleep. We used to be big and physical. Sometimes you never know what you had until they graduate. :)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
My random thoughts.

In keeping with a past theme, 17 points today allowed either directly by the offense/special team or on drives starting in our territory.
Defense had several instances of bad tackling and forced no turnovers.
Overall Defense wasn't great but the above problem continues to be killer.

Jordan is a very good athlete but not a good QB. Very little option in the game, poor ball handling, poor decision making, and doesn't appear to have the instincts of a QB. Think he will be a good player for us going forward, but I expect it to be at another position. And to put thing in perspective, Miami had the 106th ranked rushing defense before this game, 24 spots lower than Tulane, and Tulane has played, us, Navy, and Army.
Outside option with marshall should have been a staple this year, and should be going forward. Absolutely need to do more to get him touches.
Liked the way Lynch and Griffen ran. In fact the Abacks have probably been the bright spot on the offensive side of the ball this year. They're no longer the extreme liability that they were in the first half of the year.
The reverse pass play call might be the worst play call I've ever seen.
Skov inexplicably still gets playing time.
Final fumble tally according to espn. Jordan 6, Golden 2, Skov 1. Wonder what the record for is for total fumbles, not just lost.

Golden needs to be replaced on ST.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Mj plays with heart and gets downfield on every possession. He is not going nearly as fast or as good at seeing plays developing as jet. Last year -right out of the blocks , jet won gsu and vt with his quickness and passing. Mj made a couple of passes that showed he has a good arm. Needs to be a really good passer if he is going to be starting qb.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
When we blocked we looked good...
The vibe in the stadium was pathetic...apparently Miami fans are fickled front runners...our team once again generated good effort in an empty stadium.

If we could STOP FUMBLING PLEASE!...there was a grit and toughness evident yesterday that Jordan was able to get the team ti embrace. A blue collar no flash attitude that had we been able to hlod on to the dog gone ball would have made this gameca toss up which I hope bodes well for next year...I hope we can STOP the turn overs for next Saturday!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
minor correction to above. 4 turnovers - 2 interceptions and 2 fumbles lost (out of 9 fumbles)
thanks. The game was only on ESPN3 in my area, meaning no recording or replay -- or that I know how to do -- so it was just keep on keeping on until it was over. That's one of the tragedies of a 3-8 team playing another not-so-good team: it is hard to get on television. Anyway, thanks. (I saw enough of Jordan to start wondering about should Byerly come back. Might be a good problem to have, but it seems to me that sooner or later Jordan has to get the reps to learn the game speed and be ready for 2017, or a decision has to be made that he is not staying at QB. I'd be interested to see other opinions and views. I thought Scott's quote (Miami interim) in the AJC this morning that there was no difference in the two was moronic or, more than likely, pumping his team up to take credit for stopping two prolific QBs. Really happy with Jordan's handling of the situation, but the same? Not in this universe.)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The vibe in the stadium was pathetic...apparently Miami fans are fickled front runners...our team once again generated good effort in an empty stadium.

I watched on my computer. That game had all the energy of a Duke home game and I got to wondering why a student-athlete would sign up for that.

For all those who insist that fans and/or small stadiums have any impact on recruiting, I did a quick check. 38 former Canes are in the NFL as compared to Bama (40), Uga (36) and Clemson (31). (It does beg the question - what has happened to squander such talent as their program has not been in the same zip code with either Clemson or Uga's, let alone UA.)

You might argue that they are in a fertile recruiting ground and you would be correct in that regard. But so is GT, University of Houston and Tulane. it appears that stadium size and attendance are factors that can be overcome in recruiting. That is, if you assume that playing in the NFL is a reasonable measure of a person's ability to play football.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Also there are more guys banged up than meets the eye. I think folks might be surprised and may be a little bit more proud at how many are fighting thru some type of ding at this point in the season.

Despite that I saw a team fighting until the end yesterday. Results be damned at least I know our guys won't lay down next weekend unless they're physically forced to.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Also there are more guys banged up than meets the eye. I think folks might be surprised and may be a little bit more proud at how many are fighting thru some type of ding at this point in the season.

Despite that I saw a team fighting until the end yesterday. Results be damned at least I know our guys won't lay down next weekend unless they're physically forced to.

I'm sorry I missed most of the game and the following reports but what is the status of JT ?