Miami Postgame

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Imo this team, as a whole, is almost, if not there, as talented as we were in 2014. The only difference is these guys lack the killer instinct to put a team away. This isn't on the coaches any more so than players stepping up and making plays.

Hopefully we can find that ability as the season moves forward.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion are biggest problem is that we can’t finish a game as shown in the Tennessee game and today’s game against Miami. We don’t play all 4 quarters and you have to play the whole game. That falls back on the players but that’s also a major problem with coaching. Roofs soft defense makes our problems so much worse and CPJ is to blame as well. We lead an entire game and then we let up. And on that 4th and 10 catch it wasn’t all luck, Simmons had his back turned and didn’t watch the ball at all or he could of intercepted or at least swatted it down. Yea he broke it up but left the ball up the be caught. Can’t leave your back turned like that. I understand a lot of people’s reasoning as to why CPJ and Roof will keep their jobs and not get fired but it’s time for us to move on from both of them and try something new out. I’d like to see us bring someone else in and run the spread and bring a whole new staff in. We have play makers on both sides of the ball. Offensive guys that can run the spread and defensive guys that can be even better. Our defense plays to soft right now because of Roof. I’d like to see us get rid of both and wish CPJ well. Would even like to see him go back to Georgia Southern and he would succeed there and I know they would bring him back with open arms.

Why does everyone want to run the spread and be like the other 100 teams in college football? Being different gives you an advantage. Nebraska was one of the only teams to still run the option in the early 2000s fired their coach haven't been the same. Florida was so dominant under spurrier because he invited the fun and gun offense. Only team to run what they ran at the time. Rich Rod was the only guy to run the spread while at WVU. Now he's competing with every other team for the same type of player and has disappeared in Arizona. If we go away from the option with our next hire I will be extremely disappointed. You need to be different. Look at the sec for example. Saban has essentially fired or ran off the majority of their coaches because every school in the sec thinks they can recruit, coach and pony up the money Alabama does. It has lead to the demise of the conference. I do not ever want to see us run the spread at Tech I'm tired of watching every school running the same offense. Stay the coarse

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Imo this team, as a whole, is almost, if not there, as talented as we were in 2014. The only difference is these guys lack the killer instinct to put a team away. This isn't on the coaches any more so than players stepping up and making plays.

I don't think that's the difference - I think, so far, the only difference is we've had a couple bounces go against us, when, in 2014, they went our way (VT, UGag, etc.)

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow

We didn't exactly have the killer instinct in 2014 at the start of the season either. Remember the Ga Southern game? They don't fumble we don't win that game. Also we lost to two mediocre teams in North Carolina and Duke that year. We haven't even played half our games. Still a lot of football left to be played.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I don't think that's the difference - I think, so far, the only difference is we've had a couple bounces go against us, when, in 2014, they went our way (VT, UGag, etc.)
Absolutely! Except for a half dozen plays going our way in 2014 we could have been a .500 team. ACC is stronger top to bottom now than 2014. Rain today certainly coming when it did, not a favorable factor for us.

But this year we have had the opportunity to make the bounce go our way and didn't. Missed pitch Tenn. and pass break up Miami. Not mention not adjusting to bubble screens. (did we stop double coverage on number 8 during their final drive??)
This game shows we can compete against top rated teams if we don't get decimated with injuries. I still love the character, fight and POTENTIAL of this team.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow

It's hard to say anything went our way in 2014 against UGAG or VT. 2 BS fumbles and a blocked extra point in OT could have prevented us from winning in Athens. Against VT IIRC didn't their QB pick up a ball and run 30 yards for a TD when the RB fumbled? This loss sucks! We let them off the hook again. We find ways to lose against Miami.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
[QUOTE="melloace, post: 353860 We didn't exactly have the killer instinct in 2014 at the start of the season either. Remember the Ga Southern game? They don't fumble we don't win that game. Also we lost to two mediocre teams in North Carolina and Duke that year. We haven't even played half our games. Still a lot of football left to be played.[/QUOTE]

We started 5-0 that year and that was with a new starting QB and the Oline wasn't that good early on in the season. The difference was IMO leadership and the attitude that they weren't going to be denied when it came to crunch time.

Kareem

Banned
Brad Stewart has dropped too many passes over the last two years to get the PT he gets. How can you justify playing him over Jalen Camp? Is his blocking that good? It just seems like he is a cpj favorite but I don't see the upside. Am I missing something here???
Yes you are missing something.

Kareem

Banned
Tipped pass or not. Playing soft and letting Miami march down the field is on Roof and his play calling. Same as the UT game. The D choked and Roof choked when it mattered most.
There were 2 defenders covering 2 receivers, that play should not have been as successful as it was . Step up and make some plays

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Cry cry cry
They lost. It hurts how but there is Next game up.

I don't see how anyone can blame the players they played hard through out. This was a coaching failure. From the running game being shut down to allowing 7 bubble screens to close.

Wake has a good defense and an opportunistic O. Can't let Miami beat them twice.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Qua slipping sucked too. He was wide open
That, and the counter where Braun (I believe) pulled and slipped right before he could make a block. Pretty much the entire Miami D went for the fake left and TM had a ton of open field to the right, but when Braun slipped he wasn't able to make a block and TM got stopped. That was on a 3rd down that would have kept the drive alive in the 4th.

Jmonty71

Banned
You do know CPJ tried to hire a different DC but we didn't have the money. Who's fault is that, CPJ's or the atheletic program?
Paying 750k a year for a washed up has been? No wonder, there is no money. Heck, I would take half of that and do just the same. There are answers out there. GT just thinks you have to have a big time name.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

The players made a play against Miami, the WR just got lucky the ball feel into his hands. If that ball falls to the ground we are having a different conversation, and saying the D stepped up big when it was needed.