Miami Postgame

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes we've had two tough weeks but let's not throw in the towel just yet. I like how we match up with the rest of our schedule if we continue to improve. I still believe not having a deep threat is hurting us offensively but CPJ is a master of finding a way.

Defensively we are getting better. We're not the best in America but we're improving.

There no need for any talk of giving up and starting over. We've been down that road too many times.

Oh yeah we've also improved on special teams.

yerjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Tech is good enough to play the game close. Tech is not good enough to make big mistakes and win. Multiple fumbles kills teams. I saw three. 2 for TDs the wrong way and 1 Tech got back on. Could see some improvement on O. D played OK.
It is hard to have a decent passing game when you have to MAX protect and only 2 or 3 recievers are in routes. Makes for lots of double coverage if they are only rushing 4 AND getting pressure.

Go Tech beat Pitt.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It is hard to have a decent passing game when you have to MAX protect and only 2 or 3 recievers are in routes. Makes for lots of double coverage if they are only rushing 4 AND getting pressure.

Yeah I noticed this too. We protect with 7 against 4 and STILL cannot give JT time. Pretty sad...

Our O line seems to take entire plays off at times.

I'm not sure what Eason was doing on the first scoop 6, but I can't imagine the design of that play is to let the backside linebacker run free at JT on a pass

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Overall that game was very disappointing. First fumble for a score is on Eason, second is on JT.

Without those two plays I think we win the game.

Defense played OK, but I think Miami could have scored any time they wanted if they threw the ball. We could shut down the run, but the way our defensive backs played at times was just ridiculous.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Guys.......as much as I love JT, he shouldn't get a pass. He has regressed since his soph year. It is telling that PJ had to slow it down and make the calls at the line so we could get in the right play. Not good that a 5th yr sr can't make the right pre-snap read. As much blame going to the OL they actually played much better yesterday. We averaged 5 yards a carry. I know for a fact one of the scoop and scores was a mis-check by JT to change protection and the other we missed a block but he never should have fumbled.

How? They for the most part drove the ball at will, it was the penaltys and the fumbles 6's that hurt, besides that we looked very good.
Besides all the mistakes, listen to urself make excuse after excuse. The offense is supposed to be our strong part of the game, but that isn't the case. Good day.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Guys.......as much as I love JT, he shouldn't get a pass. He has regressed since his soph year. It is telling that PJ had to slow it down and make the calls at the line so we could get in the right play. Not good that a 5th yr sr can't make the right pre-snap read. As much blame going to the OL they actually played much better yesterday. We averaged 5 yards a carry. I know for a fact one of the scoop and scores was a mis-check by JT to change protection and the other we missed a block but he never should have fumbled.

I somewhat agree. I remember most of us thinking that JT was going to be a lil'Joe clone by his senior year (maybe a bit exagerrated but the point remains). I wonder if what happened to JT last year is similar what happens to some early NFL QB draft picks...they go to bad teams and get shell shocked playing behind bad O-lines and regress. I just don't think JT is as explosive as he was two years ago. Too much punishment?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Besides all the mistakes, listen to urself make excuse after excuse. The offense is supposed to be our strong part of the game, but that isn't the case. Good day.
I asked a very simple questing to what you said, how? So I'll wait for the answer since you know so much. All I'm saying is that they played well minus about 4 plays, how is that an excuse? It's just stating what I believe, so once again how was it bad?

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
We need to wait out and see how the season plays out. I like the skill set of our young OL. I knew we would block better this game. Our turnovers were disappointing and the defense giving some big plays. Other than that I thought we played well. In order for us to win yesterday we needed to play a complete game. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out. I haven't been extremely impressed with Pitt. They are a good team but their best win is against penn state.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
We need to wait out and see how the season plays out. I like the skill set of our young OL. I knew we would block better this game. Our turnovers were disappointing and the defense giving some big plays. Other than that I thought we played well. In order for us to win yesterday we needed to play a complete game. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out. I haven't been extremely impressed with Pitt. They are a good team but their best win is against penn state.

Compare Pitts big win to our big win over Vandy and it should be a close game.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow

While he was an important part of the success of 2014, it's becoming increasingly apparent that the skill players around him elevated his game... not the other way around.

I asked a very simple questing to what you said, how? So I'll wait for the answer since you know so much. All I'm saying is that they played well minus about 4 plays, how is that an excuse? It's just stating what I believe, so once again how was it bad?
How to fix Tech's problem easy fire Paul Johnson, hire a coach that runs a more traditional and easier offense to figure out for our players. Apparently Paul's offense is so complicated that Tech men can't figure it out after 8 plus seasons. It seems you need a special kind of knowledge to run this offense, that players can't pick up in 4 to 5 years. Btw more than 4 offensive plays weren't ran properly. That number is more than likely in the double digits. Quote from broadcasters at the game. "The only thing stopping Tech's offense is Tech with their penalties and fumbles." We beat ourselves more than any team has.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
the oh woe is me - everything is terrible posts are over the top -
but this was a game we really had a shot at winning before we shot ourselves in the foot, knee, stomach and shoulder on the way to the temple kill shot
This is a Gailey 7 win season. which is a problem given that this is the year we have a SR QB and should be a year we point to for a break out season.

Aaaaargh! There is no breakout season. There is no point where GT is a perennial top-10 team. Only scratching and clawing, fighting to be as good as we can be, every year. Sometimes it comes together and you get 2014. Sometimes it doesn't and you get 2010.

Which is why I love Georgia Tech. Enjoy who we are, not who we aren't.

slugboy

Staff member
I'm just posting here so that I haven't "disappeared after a loss".
I've seen lots of people in sports, academics, or anywhere else get locked in on fixing one problem that another one crops up. In baseball, you stop rolling your wrists but you take your eye off the ball. Then you start keeping your eye off the ball and you do something else dumb. It seems like the offensive line is stuck trying to simplify things and they've just confused themselves.
You would think as much coaching as we dedicate to the offensive line that they'd be fine. Maybe they're overcoached.
(Now I'm waiting for someone to call this out as the stupidest post ever. Enjoy your weekends).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm just posting here so that I haven't "disappeared after a loss".
I've seen lots of people in sports, academics, or anywhere else get locked in on fixing one problem that another one crops up. In baseball, you stop rolling your wrists but you take your eye off the ball. Then you start keeping your eye off the ball and you do something else dumb. It seems like the offensive line is stuck trying to simplify things and they've just confused themselves.
You would think as much coaching as we dedicate to the offensive line that they'd be fine. Maybe they're overcoached.
(Now I'm waiting for someone to call this out as the stupidest post ever. Enjoy your weekends).

One of your best posts

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It was a tough pill to swallow. Some thoughts:

There might not be a single team in the country good enough to give up two consecutive scoop scores on offense to these guys and still win the game. If there is, it wouldn't be more than a few. Still, we DID give up the plays. We own them and they are a part of our current resume, sadly.

With the exception of those two plays, we controlled the action in a manner that was needed for us to win the game. We ran about 30 more plays than them in my estimation and controlled the ball for 2/3 of the clock. It wasn't always pretty because we left some plays out there. Had we been playing an even game, or even (gasp) with a lead, the chances of them knuckling under would have been pretty good, given the circumstances. However, the fact that they still had a lead gave them hope and energy despite their defense being out there forever.

Giving up 21 points is pretty good overall, but not great, considering how many plays they ran. However, the nature of the scores and drives we allowed was more of the nature that many of us have been hoping for. Specifically, in that we either got them off the field quickly or they scored quickly, leaving our offense on the field for the majority. More games like that will yield better results IMHO. Defense did enough to win.

In hockey, players are judged by +/- stats (goals scored vs allowed for the time you are personally on the ice). Our offense was plus 7 yesterday. That doesn't cut it. I haven't watched the replay, but here are my thoughts from the upper north viewpoint:

We are a 3 headed monster on offense and not the 4 headed monster we have been at times in the past. The QB, BB and AB position groups all pose a threat to some degree, but at WR it is sadly not the case. This is palpable, watching the action. At this point in time, the WRs are not even a working part of the offense. It will continue to be a struggle for us as long as this is the case. The only throws happening to them that have a chance are back shoulder throws with DBs draped all over them. We simply do not see separation. Back shoulder throws are great, but they won't be as effective if we never get free on other routes.

Although not a thing of beauty yesterday, some parts of the offense are starting to round into form.

I hope we all feel lucky that we have Mills. He looks like an NFL runner to me. He has vision and toughness and he will only get better from here. Think about that. He did a great job of picking holes and running the right track yesterday. He finishes runs like a man. Gotta love it.