Miami Postgame

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You're wrong. We beat Miami then laid a egg against Duke. We were the better team and had several leads in that game but our d was terrible. Can't compare this to 2014. Sorry to pi$$ in your cornflakes but we aren't a very good football team.

What kind of revisionist history is this? In 2014 we had a 3-0 lead early against duke and never led again. Also our offense was terrible in that game, worse than our defense. In that game we had two big kickoff returns by Golden to the Duke side of the field and our offense only got a FGA out of each, missing one. The offense also had two turnovers giving Duke the ball on our side of the field setting up two TDs. And we only had 12 points until the game was already decided. People remember the 2014 season by the second half forgetting that our offense looked a lot less impressive prior to the change at bback.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What kind of revisionist history is this? In 2014 we had a 3-0 lead early against duke and never led again. Also our offense was terrible in that game, worse than our defense. In that game we had two big kickoff returns by Golden to the Duke side of the field and our offense only got a FGA out of each, missing one. The offense also had two turnovers giving Duke the ball on our side of the field setting up two TDs. And we only had 12 points until the game was already decided. People remember the 2014 season by the second half forgetting that our offense looked a lot less impressive prior to the change at bback.
The change at Bback meant everything.... yeah ok.........

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
IMG_20161001_161103.jpg
would have been nice to use this after a Victory!
We can still go 10-2 :)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Coming into Spring, our RT was 1) Chris Griffin and 2) Trey Klock, iirc. Jake Stickler improved over off season and was expected in 2-deep at RT during camp, iirc. We also lost Jake Whitley. That's 4 guys from our OL 2deep we didn't have today because of injury. Shamire and Freddy probably played hurt.

That being said, if we played stupid-error free, our O was probably fine. We didn't.

Our D was good enuf for our O when it clicks, but it didn't. I hate that so many give our D a pass or have such low expectations. Our D gave up 3 TDs on 9 drives. That's not bad, but when you consider it was 2 of 3 and 3 of 7 before Miami started running clock, it's not great.

We need to come to Jesus on both sides of the ball.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Disagree about the talent, but agree with everything else.

Thats like the UGA argument. Is talent *s or whats you see on the field? What I saw on the field was explosive skill players on offense with mauling Olinemen when they do the assignments and defenders who can make plays. We need playmakers at WR and LB. These are our 2 weakest spots on the team

Say goodbye to Shamire as the starter and give Parker Braun a round of applause. He came in and did great job.
Today was a message board fan special, We were aggressive on D and we did slants and crossers,

@dressedcheeseside the play I'm referring to is the pass play in the unbalanced formation, but this time we took our extra blocker(BBack) out on a route. In that case we should play inside out and let the unblocked rusher come from the outside

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The change at Bback meant everything.... yeah ok.........

Not everything. But we went from getting 85 ypg from the bback spot in the first 7 games to 138 per game in the 3 games following it. Maybe it's just me but I'd say that 60% increase in production was pretty important.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thats like the UGA argument. Is talent *s or whats you see on the field? What I saw on the field was explosive skill players on offense with mauling Olinemen when they do the assignments and defenders who can make plays. We need playmakers at WR and LB. These are our 2 weakest spots on the team

Say goodbye to Shamire as the starter and give Parker Braun a round of applause. He came in and did great job.
Today was a message board fan special, We were aggressive on D and we did slants and crossers,

@dressedcheeseside the play I'm referring to is the pass play in the unbalanced formation, but this time we took our extra blocker(BBack) out on a route. In that case we should play inside out and let the unblocked rusher come from the outside
Like I said, I'm not a stars guy, but when the star disparity is around 5 to 1, you have to wonder about talent comparison. I can't remember the last time I saw a yard of space between one of our receivers and a db when the ball arrives. We had two td's that would have been good catches, not phenomenal, and we blew both. What exactly happened on the blindside hit that turned into scoop and score? When's the last time we had a scoop and score?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Which position groups was Miami lacking playmakers?

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow

Talking about the unc game after laying a egg against Duke. We very easily could have won that game had it not been for the defensive collapse. Disagree about the team getting better bc of change at BB. It got better bc of the oline getting a whole lot better. We can disagree though bc you pretty much said MM would be the next JD. I know I knowPJ isn't starting him bc he wants to lose.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I just looked at the box score. We had 361 yards of total offense, we held the ball for 19 minutes longer then they did, and we stopped them six times. And we did it with two starters out at OL. We lost because of two turnovers being converted for scores. That's all. I said to my son before the game that I thought it would be close and decided by a field goal either way. Sure enough; it we hadn't given up 14 points on turnovers, that is exactly how the game would have worked out. In short, we played the #14 team in the country head to head and lost because we had some bad luck. It happens.

What I do think we saw today is the start of how we'll look for the rest of the year. First, it is now obvious that we need to put the game on Mills shoulders and run him until he drops. I expect that's what Coach was waiting for and what we'll do for the rest of the season. Second, we are playing good D against the run and usually against the pass. We will become more invested in that in future.

Finally, last year I said we should move Lynch to WR. I know he's our most productive AB, but we are losing games because we don't have WRs that can hold on to the ball. Lynch can a) block, b) catch in traffic (indeed, he's the best we have at that), and c) get open consistently. Imho, he needs to be on the field every down as a WR and we need to throw to him consistently. We won't suffer from not having him at AB (we have plenty of candidates) anywhere near as much as we are suffering from not having a WR with good hands. This is our biggest need now. It's either Lynch moved or finding a backup who can do the job.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

Yea I don't see how anyone starts over Parker Braun after that performance.