Miami, Ohio Baseball

THWG

Helluva Engineer
It’s just one game, remember it’s college baseball, so you can win 17-16 one game and 1-0 the next. Give the pitching until we play UGA to decide if we are still *** or not. We only have one sample size.
Yep and that one sample size included 2 freshmen that Hall left in to see what they have and get their first action.

Buzz_404

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep and that one sample size included 2 freshmen that Hall left in to see what they have and get their first action.
Exactly what I said!! That Schmolke kid actually pitched decent for his first outing. Dawson Brown is a great pitcher but I don’t know if he should be a starter. I’m still very optimistic in our pitching

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Exactly what I said!! That Schmolke kid actually pitched decent for his first outing. Dawson Brown is a great pitcher but I don’t know if he should be a starter. I’m still very optimistic in our pitching

I just watched the ninth for the first time and Busse was really good. No f'ing around. He had attitude.

I'll wait to say Dawson is a great pitcher till he puts up some consistent numbers.
1676730454275.png

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t had confidence in Dawson Brown since… well, ever. As a change of pace relief pitcher I think he could be effective. Without checking his stats my memory says he has always walked way too many to be great.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Glad our team won its season opener yesterday. But, frankly, it was mostly an undeserved win, as Miami-Ohio made 5 errors that led to 8 unearned runs. All 12 of Miami-Ohio’s runs against our team were earned, which means our total team pitching in this one game was abysmal.

Gusse was our team’s only effective pitcher, and that was when he pitched the top ninth as the closer. He got 3 strikeouts throwing nasty stuff. He looked great!

I hope to see a bunch of our team’s other pitchers get “tried out” in games over the next couple of weeks, just to give them a chance and see what they can do. Because it’s apparent we have a long way to go as a pitching staff.

I also have a feeling that this could be DBo’s make-or-break year. DBo is now entering his fourth season as the pitching coach.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't take much from playing weak opponents. Scoring 13 runs in first 2 innings sets up for "almost" a wasted game for evaluation purposes. Coaches approach a 13 run lead very differently from a typical game flow. Pitchers sit for extended time between innings. Focus is more difficult for everyone (even me... the wisdom-filled fan). Lol.

Once the game got tight... we looked okay.

We won't know very much about this team until we're through 3 weekend series... unfortunately. I really wish we'd schedule better teams... don't have to be top 20-type teams but top half, at least.

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't take much from playing weak opponents. Scoring 13 runs in first 2 innings sets up for "almost" a wasted game for evaluation purposes. Coaches approach a 13 run lead very differently from a typical game flow. Pitchers sit for extended time between innings. Focus is more difficult for everyone (even me... the wisdom-filled fan). Lol.

Once the game got tight... we looked okay.

We won't know very much about this team until we're through 3 weekend series... unfortunately. I really wish we'd schedule better teams... don't have to be top 20-type teams but top half, at least.
Schedule is hard enough in conference play, plus we play UGAg, Auburn, Ga Southern, etc. What more do you wan't? I think the cupcake series to start the year are a good move. I just wish we would do more of that with our football schedules

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Schedule is hard enough in conference play, plus we play UGAg, Auburn, Ga Southern, etc. What more do you wan't? I think the cupcake series to start the year are a good move. I just wish we would do more of that with our football schedules
I hear you. Your point is well taken

I'm specifically talking about weekend series. There are 14 of them 10 ACC & 4 out of conference. 3 of them are not as challenging as I would like. Baseball is different than other sports. The cost/benefit of playing "challenging" opponent (in my view) is weighted heavily in the benefit side... plus I'm a fan & better opponents are more intriguing.

Last edited:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Fantastic pitching today until the 9th, but we still found a way to close it out!! Last year that would have been a loss.