Miami, Ohio Baseball

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Excited to have baseball back again, I think we are a solid team this year but it seems like we are going to have a lot of younger guys contributing this year.

Interested to see us at the plate this year, I feel like this is a non usual GT team where we have a lot of guys hitting for average not just hitting bombs. I could be wrong but I don’t know what kind of power we are going to have.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
At 14:10 mark in Hall's pre season presser, Hall speaks briefly about Brown. Says he's improved his slider & they're trying to "extend" his innings. The context is not really related to making him a starter, though. I agree a bit of surprise. Looking forward to seeing how the staff shakes out.

Post in thread '2022-23 Season' https://gtswarm.com/threads/2022-23-season.25304/post-933281
With Brown and McGuire it looks like the emphasis is being placed on strike throwers. I like Finley starting Sunday as he can be lights out when he is on. This makes me feel like Riley Stanford will get the first shot at the closer role. Will be interesting to see who starts at DH. Guessing it will be Romano or possibly Sabathia or maybe even Stanford.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
At 14:10 mark in Hall's pre season presser, Hall speaks briefly about Brown. Says he's improved his slider & they're trying to "extend" his innings. The context is not really related to making him a starter, though. I agree a bit of surprise. Looking forward to seeing how the staff shakes out.

Post in thread '2022-23 Season' https://gtswarm.com/threads/2022-23-season.25304/post-933281
Assume Brown getting the start is due to one or both:
1) Injury to Hill or other projected starters
2) See Friday as a Johnny Wholestaff game due to weather conditions - very short pitch count (eg ~30) for all...

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
With Brown and McGuire it looks like the emphasis is being placed on strike throwers. I like Finley starting Sunday as he can be lights out when he is on. This makes me feel like Riley Stanford will get the first shot at the closer role. Will be interesting to see who starts at DH. Guessing it will be Romano or possibly Sabathia or maybe even Stanford.
I think Finley will DH if he is not pitching.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Finley will DH if he is not pitching.
I agree with that. I meant to specify the others would get a shot atDH when Finley is on the mound. I'm also very interested in seeing what the transfers can do, especially DIspagna and Busse. We have had an excellent track record of late turning transfers into major stars with Simpson and Borden. Both came to Tech with decent resumes but left as Major League draft picks.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Chance Huff and Justin Henry Malloy were also transfers.
Yes. I don't think Huff reached quite the level of success as Borden and Simpson although Chance was drafted higher. Malloy is another good example of someone who came do us with marginal numbers at Vandy but had a stellar season with us and has turned into a major prospect for Detroit along with the success he had with the Braves. I find it very interesting that CDH has had the amount of success he has with transfers. Curious if someone can come up with other transfer successes from years past. We have also had some success with walk ons turning into every day players.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Nice to get a win on opening day! I'm not happy with all of the free passes today, but the weather definitely played a factor in that for both teams. Even though both of the freshmen struggled, I'm glad that Hall left both of them in just to see if they could figure it out with that lead. We'll need both of them later in the year.

And I'm extremely happy with Finateri and Busse. Especially Busse who looks like a lock down guy.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Nice to get a win on opening day! I'm not happy with all of the free passes today, but the weather definitely played a factor in that for both teams. Even though both of the freshmen struggled, I'm glad that Hall left both of them in just to see if they could figure it out with that lead. We'll need both of them later in the year.

And I'm extremely happy with Finateri and Busse. Especially Busse who looks like a lock down guy.
Yes. Busse doing the Max Scherzer strut after Ks. Love it!!

Who knew after a 13-0 start... a pitcher would record a save in this game.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
ok, here's some great news out of today's game:

Last year's opener we fell behind 3-0. Scored 7 unanswered to lead 7-3 going into the T9. Gave up 5 to fall behind 8-7 and needed some heroics in B9 to win 9-8.

We were never behind. We didn't give up the lead & we needed no late inning heroics.

Not all was bad today.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow

Last year's opener we fell behind 3-0. Scored 7 unanswered to lead 7-3 going into the T9. Gave up 5 to fall behind 8-7 and needed some heroics in B9 to win 9-8.

We were never behind. We didn't give up the lead & we needed no late inning heroics.

Not all was bad today.
And...NC & BC lost. Pitt squeaked by Maine.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Not all was bad today.

Other good news is no errors. Pitching is still the problem.

Miami gave up 8 unearned runs so we got an unearned win. Which beats any type loss.

The rest of the ACC (VT, UNC, ND) did awful overall. More on that tomorrow. (Miami losing to Penn State)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well after sleeping on it, The Song Remains the Same. We were lucky that Miami is so bad and gave up 8 unearned runs. We only have a one game statistically insignificant data set (ERA for year of 12.0) but it is a continuation of last year. Maybe things will change.

We disagree on leaving Dalton in so long. 83 pitches on opening day in that weather is too much especially when he is struggling. Leaving him in to put him way behind on his season stats (16.8 ERA) did no one any service. He didn't figure it out at all and if he starts next weekend it's 100% on Hall / DBo. Dalton may not have been ready or it was too damn cold to play baseball; dunno.

We agree on the rest of the guys doing ok to good. Samol got rocked by the grand slam and I'll be glad to see how he does going forward in mid relief.
1676722916673.png

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Well after sleeping on it, The Song Remains the Same. We were lucky that Miami is so bad and gave up 8 unearned runs. We only have a one game statistically insignificant data set (ERA for year of 12.0) but it is a continuation of last year. Maybe things will change.

We disagree on leaving Dalton in so long. 83 pitches on opening day in that weather is too much especially when he is struggling. Leaving him in to put him way behind on his season stats (16.8 ERA) did no one any service. He didn't figure it out at all and if he starts next weekend it's 100% on Hall / DBo. Dalton may not have been ready or it was too damn cold to play baseball; dunno.

We agree on the rest of the guys doing ok to good. Samol got rocked by the grand slam and I'll be glad to see how he does going forward in mid relief.
View attachment 14026
Agreed on leaving Brown in too long - he was clearly fatigued toward the end struggling to just get the ball across. It's like they had a preconceived pitch count goal of 80 before they were going to take him out. That seemed like too high of a pitch count for first day of season when factoring in extreme cold. Asking for arm problems. Don't get it... Hopefully we can blame our 11 BB's on weather (it was miserable) and not extrapolate another season of poor quality pitching...

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Too early to judge anything but it certainly “feels” like we are continuing a trend. The most impressive of the pitchers we ran out there was the one who had been “in system” the least amount of time. Could just be coincidence, but also could be a bad omen.

All in all, let’s just blame it on the cold.

My two favorite “plays” was DeLeo’s bunt single that turned into a double and Busse’s badA ninth inning. Been a while since we’ve had a reliable shut down guy and way to early to say he will be that guy, but certainly was a good start!

Buzz_404

Jolly Good Fellow
We’re at least consistent. Our hitting is still Good. Our pitching is still a**.

A win is a win though. Always room to grow, nobody’s perfect.
It’s just one game, remember it’s college baseball, so you can win 17-16 one game and 1-0 the next. Give the pitching until we play UGA to decide if we are still *** or not. We only have one sample size.