Miami, Ohio Baseball

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No kidding baseball is back this weekend!! Been too long!!

Hype video here. https://ramblinwreck.com/video-baseball-opening-day-hype/

We are going to have February weather. 40's and windy on Friday. Hope they make the game earlier or do a DH on Saturday (better option IMHO). (See below)

Miami Ohio had a 235 RPI last year so we should sweep and be able to get a lot of good scrimmage in. D1 picks them to finish 5th of 11 in the Mid-American Conference. If we don't sweep, it's going to be a basketball of football type year. I think we sweep.

Here is their summary from last year:
1676330276478.png

And the cold as a witch weather on Friday.
1676330021501.png

Last edited:

THWG

Helluva Engineer

We are going to have February weather. 40's and windy on Friday. Hope they make the game earlier or do a DH on Saturday (better option IMHO). (See below)

Miami Ohio had a 235 RPI last year so we should sweep and be able to get a lot of good scrimmage in. D1 picks them to finish 5th of 11 in the Mid-American Conference. If we don't sweep, it's going to be a basketball of football type year. I think we sweep.

View attachment 14010

View attachment 14009
I wouldn't say a sweep is necessary. Just win 2 out of 3 and do that every weekend for the entire year :).

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 14010

View attachment 14009
So you're saying I should bring my long johns, lined pants, ski socks, boots, Ohio winter jacket, gloves, and ski hat? Did that for GT at Kennesaw State a number of years ago on my way down to see us play at Miami, and it didn't help. This has to be better weather than that game.

And I agree with others that we don't NEED a sweep. Would be nice to get one, but Miami of Ohio, despite their RPI last season and predictions this season, may have a pitcher show out or a hitter that just steps into his talent. As examples, the Mets have pitcher Grant Hartwig, who was signed out of Miami University as an unrestricted free agent pitcher who is now among the top 25 prospects in their system. He played for the 2021 team along with Sam Bachman, who was a pitcher drafted #9 in the first round by the Angels. If they have anyone close to those two, we may be in for a tough day.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 14010

View attachment 14009
Don’t do it Nuke! Don’t go all Charlie Brown on us in the very first series.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So you're saying I should bring my long johns, lined pants, ski socks, boots, Ohio winter jacket, gloves, and ski hat? Did that for GT at Kennesaw State a number of years ago on my way down to see us play at Miami, and it didn't help. This has to be better weather than that game.

And I agree with others that we don't NEED a sweep. Would be nice to get one, but Miami of Ohio, despite their RPI last season and predictions this season, may have a pitcher show out or a hitter that just steps into his talent. As examples, the Mets have pitcher Grant Hartwig, who was signed out of Miami University as an unrestricted free agent pitcher who is now among the top 25 prospects in their system. He played for the 2021 team along with Sam Bachman, who was a pitcher drafted #9 in the first round by the Angels. If they have anyone close to those two, we may be in for a tough day.

Yup it's gonna be colder than you can dress for sitting there.

As to Miami pitchers "Miami is tasked with replacing three of four members of the starting rotation and its most effective reliever. The lone holdover in the rotation, Jonathan Brand (3-4, 4.90), has the stuff to go head to head against any pitcher in the conference."

Don’t do it Nuke! Don’t go all Charlie Brown on us in the very first series.

Re: "The Scorpion And The Frog".

My expectation is that since Miami was 0-15 against top 100 teams last year and lost their best pitchers that we should win three. If we don't, The Sun Also Rises. It'll be a bad thing, not a good thing. But just a thing.

Charlie Brown & Football.png

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
Any insight on the weekend starting pitching rotation? Finley, Busse & a lefty? Hill?

What’s the story with Busse? Haven’t heard much. Looked him up, he is a JUCO transfer sophomore. Looks like a high K rate his freshman year, decent ERA (3.29)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What’s the story with Busse? Haven’t heard much. Looked him up, he is a JUCO transfer sophomore. Looks like a high K rate his freshman year, decent ERA (3.29)

Here's the latest from D1: "Top Newcomers: Righthander Terry Busse should be one of the most impactful juco transfers in D-I baseball this spring, with a chance to settle into the weekend rotation or the back of the bullpen — but the smart money right now is on a rotation spot. He attacked at 93-94 with explosive life and deception this fall, mixing in a solid slider and useful curveball — but his calling card is the fastball, which really plays."

We'll see Charlie Brown.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Unfortunately, no Wiley this weekend. My expectations are that we will be about like last year with better pitching offsetting less power. But I won't be surprised if we have a top 20 offense, just because we usually do. Defense is just unknown; a decade ago it was usually pretty good but not as much recently.

"On the mound this weekend will be Dawson Brown, Logan McGuire and Jackson Finley." Hope we pull the starters after 3 and run through a bunch of pitchers. That hope is consistent year to year early in the season especially. Maybe this year Charlie.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the big surprise here is Dawson Brown getting the Friday start. Didn’t hear much from Danny about him during the offseason. Hope he had a big summer and fall and is ready for the ace spot.
At 14:10 mark in Hall's pre season presser, Hall speaks briefly about Brown. Says he's improved his slider & they're trying to "extend" his innings. The context is not really related to making him a starter, though. I agree a bit of surprise. Looking forward to seeing how the staff shakes out.

Post in thread '2022-23 Season' https://gtswarm.com/threads/2022-23-season.25304/post-933281