@ Mercer / Ga State

Deleted member 2897

Went to Macon last night. Fun game to watch in person. Team is jelling and beat an NCAA bound team at home. First loss for Mercer to a Georgia based school Mercer has a lot of local fan support even on a weekday night. Impressive! I’ll be at the Ga State game tonight and bringing friends. Hope to see and hear you there . Start time is 6pm.

Thank you for supporting the team!!!

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Here is list of pitchers not named Datoc or Archer and not part of the current 4-man weekly starting rotation (number of innings pitched/appearances):

Gibson (14.0/9)
Chapman (11.2/7)
Lee (11.0/6)
Hughes (10.1/8)
Winborne (7.1/8)
Shirah (6.1/4)
Schniederjans (5.0/5)
Combs (5.0/5)
Mannelly (3.2/4)
Serratos (3.1/5)
Carpenter (1.2/2)
Brace (1.0/1)

I'd like to see 7-8 of these 12 guys pitch at least one inning tonight. Hopefully, we score early...get a lead allowing any of these guys who may get into a little trouble an opportunity to fix it themselves. I don't care who starts... but should be someone "suited" to start & relatively reliable to increase the odds Tech establishes lead early. I've heard CDH speak about guys he believes are just better out of the pen than starting.
If I’m correct, only 5 of these guys have seen the mound over the last 20 days (dating back to Sunday 3/25 game at NCST). I may have missed one or two maybe.
Combs (last night)
Hughes (last Friday)
Chapman (Ga Southern 3/27)
Mannelly (last Sunday)
Winborne (last Friday)

We’ve had 10 games in that stretch. I’d like to see the following guys get some innings tonight as I feel like if we could get them “right”, they could help us down the stretch:
Chapman
Lee
Winborne
Gibson
Shirah
Mannelly
Carpenter??? Wonder if this will be a RS year due to injury?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Really curious to see who starts and who pitches. Gotta believe Chapman will get innings, as clearly Hall felt he had talent early in the season. He’s just been very wild. Mannelly and Brace both interest me as guys I am curious to see more from.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Worth a listen... Coach Howell addresses many of the pitching questions some have raised. Highlights:
-Gibson starting tonight.
-Declared "staff day"... will see lots of pitchers
-Specifically, named Lee & Hughes.
-&.... drum roll... hoping to get Carpenter in tonight too!!!
-Said Carpenter will be brought along slowly; but definitely a pitcher who'll spell Datoc & Archer. Expect him to build to point he can go 2 days out of 4 game stretch.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
New look lineup. No English...probably more due to Bart getting DH & not wanting a hobbled English playing 1B. Serratos gets 1st shot to play 1B.

I'm honestly ok with this lineup, but Goldburg needs to be in there for either Wilhite or Radcliffe. We can have one in the lineup, but not both.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That throwing error hurt, otherwise would’ve been 3 up 3 down. Then not sure why Hall missed that flyball. Had two chances to get out of there with no runs allowed.

Sure, what could have been. Gibson was a lot better last year. Too bad. I don't believe in keeping pitchers (or QBs) in to coddle their egos. We have lots of other pitchers.

Final line: 2 unearned runs both because of Gibson's throwing error. 2 HBP, 39-22 for 56% strikes. Second inning went better with two nice defensive plays.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
That throwing error hurt, otherwise would’ve been 3 up 3 down. Then not sure why Hall missed that flyball. Had two chances to get out of there with no runs allowed.
Ditto for the run in T3. Poor defense (not ruled an error) gets credit (the bad kind) for that run too.

Already lack of hits with RISP piling up again. Plenty of time & talent to win this game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Finally have an inning where we don't leave a RISP. (tic) Left 7 on in first 3. 4th inning didn't get anyone on so no RISP.

Down 3-1 going to B5 is ok. We should be able to get some runs and win. I shouldn't look at this as a throw away game (none are), but the second mid-week game with a lot of experimentation means this isn't what I expect on weekends when it really counts.

Winborne very good after giving up a lead off double when he was called in in an emergency. GSU did a good job of bringing the lead off double in. Winborne final line 34-25 (74% strikes). Gave up 2 hits and had 2 SOs. No walks and no HBP and no errors.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Unfortunately, tonight’s lineup may be one of the weakest we’ve put out there all season. I still think we can come back and win, but gonna have a lot to overcome these last few innings.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK, 8th inning down 3. 2 on and one out. Hall puts in a player (Taylor) who has batted for GT four times before. No hits (other than HBP).

Really?

End inning with bases loaded and no runs. Hopefully we are building up a lot of karma for Pitt.

Deleted member 2897

Leaving bases loaded in B8...sigh.

Need to sweep Pitt, 2-1 series win minimum.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Questionable decisions all over the field. Hall treated this like an exhibition, but it will be an RPI killing home loss to a weak team.

GT baseball....every time you get your hopes up, they crush you!

Yeah, I agree. Hall didn't manage like the win was important.

Batters didn't help in batting 1-16 again with RISP. Left 11 on base with only two runs.

Oh well. Sweep Pitt.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Loss with these guys unavailable:
Johnson
English
Murray
Guldberg
Ca.Hall

...2nd of back to back mid-week games. A few defensive plays indicative of a basic lack of focus.

Can't win with that formula.