@ Mercer / Ga State

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I hope he's indestructible too.

Bottom line... somehow/someway...CDH needs to find at least 1 (preferably more) more reliable arm out of the pen. Winborne? Carpenter? Others? I'd like to not just bail on the rest of the roster. ...maybe he truly has no choice.
Unless they are all that bad out on bullpen throwing sessions, why not try out some other guys when you're way ahead?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
wait if I'm reading the box score right we've scored 16 but left 15 on base? what kind of game is this?
GT has 16 hits, has been walked 9 times, hit 2 times, and there have been 4 errors by Mercer. That's your 16 runs and 15 LOB right there.

If I am reading the stats correctly, GT has gone 1-19 with RISP. That will lead to a ton of LOB.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Did y’all hear in the past two seasons for Bart in the games at Mercer, he went 8-8 with 4 HRs and 5 walks???? So he reached base in all 13 of his plate appearances...also, 13 PLATE APPEARANCES IN 2 GAMES!!

Very happy we got the win tonight as I really didn’t want Mercer to keep their in-state record perfect this season.

Need to come out tomorrow against a much weaker Ga State team and take care of business.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I'm also really worried about Archer and Datoc becoming gassed, but I'm guessing that CDH doesn't have any other options right now. We really need a couple of guys to step up. I like what I have seen from Combs and Winborne lately. Also, Chapman, Shirah, Mannelly, and Brace need to receive some innings imo. The X factor is Carpenter though if he can get healthy. He would be a huge boost to the pen.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Good win! Took care of business. 20 wins feels great. One of those games I'm not really sure what to make of [bad grammar apology]

Scored 16. But early left too many in scoring position. Scored most runs on HRs & extended innings due to poor play by Mercer. ...cannot count on that in most games. Don't mean to sound negative... it is a really good win.

Buuuuuuuuut

Score is back 0-0 now.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT has 16 hits, has been walked 9 times, hit 2 times, and there have been 4 errors by Mercer. That's your 16 runs and 15 LOB right there.

If I am reading the stats correctly, GT has gone 1-19 with RISP. That will lead to a ton of LOB.

Mercer faced 58 GT batters. The 1-19 is correct per the statmonitor stats ( http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=201768 see Comparison tab) for an .053 average. Our overall hitting was .348 (16-46) and taking out the RISP we were 15-27 or .556. Kind of hard to explain that difference and although it is getting to be larger numbers, I think it was somewhat "bad" luck.

Like I said, this team is real scary sometimes.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone have experience/understanding on concussion protocol? Is what has happened with Murray unusual or not?

Here is the sequence (observed from afar):
1) He is hit with a pitch in the head and stays in game to run bases after that AB.
2) Does not come out to play defense in following inning.
3) Enters "concussion protocol" & misses a few starts.
Here's where it gets weird to me. Not weird; but is this very unusual?
4) After missing 2 games (Fri & Sat)...he returns to start Sunday against FSU.
5) Has 3 ABs in 4 innings. BB / Ground out / BB. Makes a few defensive plays in LF.
6) Played only 4 innings. Replaced in T5 after his walk in B4 and being LOB.

I assume he was fully cleared (there is no other option, right?) through the protocol to start on Sun. Then...at some point he felt symptom(s) return. Again...big assumptions. How unusual is that?.. if it was simply a return of symptoms after being fully good to go.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looking at our pitching last night .....

Hurter is going to be real good next year. I think he is ahead of where X was and is being brought along in a better way since we have the luxury of pitching him in a more traditional fashion. Hurter had 5.0 IP, 95 total pitches (high for IP) and 67 strikes. The strike ration looks good at 71%. But he gave up 7 hits, 1 walk (good) and 2 HBP. That leads to a 2.0 WHIP which is high. And the problems were mostly clumped into the second innings where he gave up 4 ER.

I like Hurter starting mid-week and getting experience for next year as a starter. Maybe throw an inning in relief on weekend in a crisis but we should have others who can fill that position. Hurter is either real good or not so good, e.g. the first and second inning last night.

Archer threw a lot of pitches (64-42) and I agree that I'd like to see him throw less mid-week. But we were only up 6-5 when he came in. This road win win looks good given Mercers 48 RPI. Could have pulled him in the seventh when we were up 10-5. He gave up 3 ER and had a 2.33 WHIP (5 hits and 2 walks).

Combs one inning had 24 pitches (high) with 2 SO and 2 hits. With the 2 WHIP, he was living dangerously in a close game. But with a 8 run lead, not much pressure except to throw strikes. He did at 71% (24-17).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Does anyone have experience/understanding on concussion protocol? Is what has happened with Murray unusual or not?

Here is the sequence (observed from afar):
1) He is hit with a pitch in the head and stays in game to run bases after that AB.
2) Does not come out to play defense in following inning.
3) Enters "concussion protocol" & misses a few starts.
Here's where it gets weird to me. Not weird; but is this very unusual?
4) After missing 2 games (Fri & Sat)...he returns to start Sunday against FSU.
5) Has 3 ABs in 4 innings. BB / Ground out / BB. Makes a few defensive plays in LF.
6) Played only 4 innings. Replaced in T5 after his walk in B4 and being LOB.

I assume he was fully cleared (there is no other option, right?) through the protocol to start on Sun. Then...at some point he felt symptom(s) return. Again...big assumptions. How unusual is that?.. if it was simply a return of symptoms after being fully good to go.

There could be independent injuries. I remember a leg issue being talked about with Murray too.

Deleted member 2897

Beat Georgia State - let’s get to 21-13! That will give us good confidence going up to Pitt who I think is getting a wave of good weather right now.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Looking at our pitching last night .....

Hurter is going to be real good next year. I think he is ahead of where X was and is being brought along in a better way since we have the luxury of pitching him in a more traditional fashion. Hurter had 5.0 IP, 95 total pitches (high for IP) and 67 strikes. The strike ration looks good at 71%. But he gave up 7 hits, 1 walk (good) and 2 HBP. That leads to a 2.0 WHIP which is high. And the problems were mostly clumped into the second innings where he gave up 4 ER.

I like Hurter starting mid-week and getting experience for next year as a starter. Maybe throw an inning in relief on weekend in a crisis but we should have others who can fill that position. Hurter is either real good or not so good, e.g. the first and second inning last night.

Archer threw a lot of pitches (64-42) and I agree that I'd like to see him throw less mid-week. But we were only up 6-5 when he came in. This road win win looks good given Mercers 48 RPI. Could have pulled him in the seventh when we were up 10-5. He gave up 3 ER and had a 2.33 WHIP (5 hits and 2 walks).

Combs one inning had 24 pitches (high) with 2 SO and 2 hits. With the 2 WHIP, he was living dangerously in a close game. But with a 8 run lead, not much pressure except to throw strikes. He did at 71% (24-17).
Good stuff. Archer is filling the role Datoc had (and excelled) last season. Ton of appearances and lots of innings in middle relief. The big difference for me is there really were no options to lessen load for Datoc. On the other hand, Datoc did not seem to wear down. Maybe Archer is from the same mold. I posted last night... I REALLY hope there is some relief (pun intended) here. Need to figure out and find more arms to be able to get that situational out (or outs)... or pitch that one solid inning in a close game.

As for Combs last night. He did well. I'd like to see more of him. One of the hits was off a good pitch...he got what he wanted; but it ended up being an infield hit that was a close play at first where he (Combs) simply needed to be quicker to cover 1st.

Tonight is a perfect situation to "audition" (re-audition) a bunch of pitchers. Hopefully... confidence is gained by one or several. Confidence is likely 72.67% of the issue with most of these guys.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tonight is a perfect situation to "audition" (re-audition) a bunch of pitchers. Hopefully... confidence is gained by one or several. Confidence is likely 72.67% of the issue with most of these guys.

I'd like to see Jake Lee start and do well. He has regressed from last year and will hopefully do better. As you pointed out, we need the relief depth.

On the positive side, we have good starting pitching which is the highest priority. That feels really good.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
Went to Macon last night. Fun game to watch in person. Team is jelling and beat an NCAA bound team at home. First loss for Mercer to a Georgia based school Mercer has a lot of local fan support even on a weekday night. Impressive! I’ll be at the Ga State game tonight and bringing friends. Hope to see and hear you there . Start time is 6pm.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Here is list of pitchers not named Datoc or Archer and not part of the current 4-man weekly starting rotation (number of innings pitched/appearances):

Gibson (14.0/9)
Chapman (11.2/7)
Lee (11.0/6)
Hughes (10.1/8)
Winborne (7.1/8)
Shirah (6.1/4)
Schniederjans (5.0/5)
Combs (5.0/5)
Mannelly (3.2/4)
Serratos (3.1/5)
Carpenter (1.2/2)
Brace (1.0/1)

I'd like to see 7-8 of these 12 guys pitch at least one inning tonight. Hopefully, we score early...get a lead allowing any of these guys who may get into a little trouble an opportunity to fix it themselves. I don't care who starts... but should be someone "suited" to start & relatively reliable to increase the odds Tech establishes lead early. I've heard CDH speak about guys he believes are just better out of the pen than starting.