@ Mercer / Ga State

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
For the 2nd and final time... Ga Tech has 2 mid-week games. Just like last time... it includes Mercer and will be followed with a big (they are all big) road series in the ACC.

Last time... it was a 1-1 mid-week deal. Beat Auburn and then followed that up with a loss to Mercer (both at home).

This week... Tues's action is in Macon followed by a home game against Ga State on Wed.

IIRC... Jim Poole seemed to think (or recommend) CDH would start Hurter on Tues per the usual the last few weeks; and then treat Wed as a "staff day". I'm less concerned about the pitching as I am about getting the key regular guys healthy...particularly English and Murray.

Current RPI rankings:
#25 Ga Tech (the 8th toughest schedule nationally)
#49 Mercer
#73 Ga State

These mid-week games remain pretty important to a favorable setup come NCAA tournament selection time.

Deleted member 2897

Beat Mercer/Georgia State to get to 21-13. @Anything is tough. @Pitt is weird looking. They are only 6-9 in the ACC and 17-11 overall. But they've won more than half their games by 3 or fewer runs. Lots of tight games. Then Kennessaw State. Would be a dream to get through these 3 local games plus @ Pitt in 5-1. We'd be a strong looking 24-14 overall and 10-8 in the ACC.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Update for those not listening:

Mercer plates 4 in bot 2 with a couple timely hits, McCann with a grand slam in top 5 ties it up!

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
McCann with a grand slam in T5 to tie up the score at 4-4. Hurter struggled a little with control in the 2nd inning and Mercer started sitting on his fastball. Has looked much better in the last two innings.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
And CDH rolls Archer back out there for a 2nd inning. My biggest concern is that in 2-3 weeks, Archer is gonna be gassed. He’s our only truly reliable reliever right now. Datoc is very close second.

Maybe I’m overthinking it and Archer will be fine.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
And CDH rolls Archer back out there for a 2nd inning. My biggest concern is that in 2-3 weeks, Archer is gonna be gassed. He’s our only truly reliable reliever right now. Datoc is very close second.

More offering devil's advocate than disagreeing with you. ...but Mercer scores a lot. We're in position to win into 2nd half of game... put Archer (your go-to in this situation) in to keep the lead. Plan for 2 innings. I am not sure IF he'll wear down at 2-3 outings per week spread Tues-Sun. Some guys would. Some won't. Hopefully... he's the latter.

For the the record... Archer should have been out of 7th with no runs. For some reason... a strike 3 to end inning, that has been one all night (ask Colin Hall) is called a ball...& next batter gets hit.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

I share your concern. And judging from his performance, tonight, he may be getting gassed already. Two walks in two inning sis rare for him, and the three hits....not a usual Archer performance. Rest the dude, please!! We lead by 5, and I know some of the other guys aren't very reliable, but you have got to use the rest of your arms.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Archer back in there for his 3rd inning....I hope @FredJacket is right and Archer doesn’t get fatigued over the last half of the season. I’m sure tomorrow we will see 6-8 pitchers get innings.

How about Joey Bart and McCann tonight??? Both have 2 HRs. Joey is 8-8 at Mercer over the last two seasons. Austin Wilhite and Joey hit solo HRs in T8 to give us a 12-7 lead.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Archer back in there for his 3rd inning....I hope @FredJacket is right and Archer doesn’t get fatigued over the last half of the season. I’m sure tomorrow we will see 6-8 pitchers get innings.

How about Joey Bart and McCann tonight??? Both have 2 HRs. Joey is 8-8 at Mercer over the last two seasons. Austin Wilhite and Joey hit solo HRs in T8 to give us a 12-7 lead.
I hope he's indestructible too.

Bottom line... somehow/someway...CDH needs to find at least 1 (preferably more) more reliable arm out of the pen. Winborne? Carpenter? Others? I'd like to not just bail on the rest of the roster. ...maybe he truly has no choice.