Meeting With GT Staff Soon. Need Your Input

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
I also saw many Tech fans with multiple bobbleheads.
I had to buy one off a Miami fan for my son. We watched the band play on the steps then went in the stadium as soon as that was over and they were out of them.

That's another thing. They need to do that a little earlier. When we go in after the band, there's not a lot of time left before kickoff and people like to hang outside and watch that too before going in. Band needs to be in the stadium a good 15 minutes earlier.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
People can argue this point til they're blue in the face, but you hit the nail on the head. This is the one thing that will absolutely get people in the stadium earlier.
True, but, if I'm not mistaken, it's illegal in Georgia, at least at college sports events.

Which, btw, makes no sense at all. People can't drink in the stadium, so they get drunk as skunks at tailgates ("Hey! The booze might wear off!") and then, God help us all, get in their cars in heavy traffic and drive home. It's a wonder that we don't see people killed after every game. If people drank at the game they'd at least have the sun and the excitement to burn off some of the effects. And since the beer would almost certainly be the flat, semi-cool stuff they sell at Falcons games, the incentive to drink a lot of it would be pretty small.

Here endeth the lesson.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Do you guys have any recommendations on how we can help the program?

I've been in this position before and paid staff usually gets very defensive when "volunteers" are used. They often say, "We know what we are doing, just give us the resources." Fair or not, that's often cited in these cases.

I think the best thing anyone with GTSwarm can do is to help get butts in the seats. Bring a friend, introduce a neighbor to Tech ball, etc ... but get the stands consistently over 50,000 actual seats in every game.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I've been in this position before and paid staff usually gets very defensive when "volunteers" are used. They often say, "We know what we are doing, just give us the resources." Fair or not, that's often cited in these cases.
Only a government employee would tell a customer to shut up and just give them the money. Priceless. We wonder why our sports teams are problematic l. Maybe someone should let them know the reason we show up is to have a good time and they should reflect upon that for a few minutes every day at a minimum?

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
Not if they tailgate and already have beer
Which further proves my point, people stay at their tailgates longer and drink beer because they can't in the stadium. I think if it were allowed in the stadium, people would leave tailgates earlier and head on in. Instead, most like to stay out as long as possible, drink the last one right before heading in.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
True, but, if I'm not mistaken, it's illegal in Georgia, at least at college sports events.

Which, btw, makes no sense at all. People can't drink in the stadium, so they get drunk as skunks at tailgates ("Hey! The booze might wear off!") and then, God help us all, get in their cars in heavy traffic and drive home. It's a wonder that we don't see people killed after every game. If people drank at the game they'd at least have the sun and the excitement to burn off some of the effects. And since the beer would almost certainly be the flat, semi-cool stuff they sell at Falcons games, the incentive to drink a lot of it would be pretty small.

Here endeth the lesson.
I don't think that's right because they serve it at CFA kickoff games, bowl games, and playoff games in the Benz.

Which further proves my point, people stay at their tailgates longer and drink beer because they can't in the stadium. I think if it were allowed in the stadium, people would leave tailgates earlier and head on in. Instead, most like to stay out as long as possible, drink the last one right before heading in.
I seldom even drink beer at my tailgate. I stay there because I enjoy hanging out with my friends there, who don't sit anywhere near me in the stadium. Unless it's a really BIG game, I really have no desire to go the stadium early, and I don't think many other tailgaters do either. I try to get to my seats 15 minutes before kickoff.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck

There is a very specific reason for this ... a volunteer helping the program might end up inadvertently causing an NCAA infraction. For example, some GT alum runs an Uber-style helicoptor transport service and ferries GT coaches to various high schools for free. Then some 4* kid tells the GT alum:

4* Kid: "Yo, that's dope! Can I ride in your chopper?"
GT alum: "Sure! It's super fun!"

** GT alum flies the kid around, chats about how awesome GT is. Alum is proud that he's volunteering and helping GT with recruiting **

4* Kid signs with GT

2 years later the NCAA shows up and puts GT on probation, vacating the 1990 national championship as punishment, and legalizes the 5th down only for teams competing against GT.

I think the best thing anyone with GTSwarm can do is to help get butts in the seats. Bring a friend, introduce a neighbor to Tech ball, etc ... but get the stands consistently over 50,000 actual seats in every game.

Troof.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I seldom even drink beer at my tailgate. I stay there because I enjoy hanging out with my friends there, who don't sit anywhere near me in the stadium. Unless it's a really BIG game, I really have no desire to go the stadium early, and I don't think many other tailgaters do either. I try to get to my seats 15 minutes before kickoff.
Your a year older I would start 20 till this year. :)