Media exposure

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Even if we would’ve had Clemson’s success over the past few years, I don’t believe we would have as much regional coverage as the mutts. I was a mutt fan as a kid...before I knew better. Why? My dad is a mutt fan. It will take a generation or more of success in sports to tip the scales in our favor. In addition, we need the ACC to be successful and gain equal footing with the SEC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty much this. Local media coverage will be determined by fan base, not by wins and losses. We will never have the fan base that UGA has.

ugacdawg

Georgia Tech Fan
And yet the mutts get coverage for doing nothing.

Your peers have already explained why UGA would get more coverage outside of performance, its built into the size of the fan base. I was responding to the post that even if GT was performing at the level of Clemson, they would still be in the shadow of UGA from a coverage standpoint, which would not be true (and as an aside ALL the coverage for UGA at that point would be why they were underperforming so badly versus GT).

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Your peers have already explained why UGA would get more coverage outside of performance, its built into the size of the fan base. I was responding to the post that even if GT was performing at the level of Clemson, they would still be in the shadow of UGA from a coverage standpoint, which would not be true (and as an aside ALL the coverage for UGA at that point would be why they were underperforming so badly versus GT).

The part you wrote in parentheses is making my point and you don’t even realize it. Since 1980, regional sports news has been dominated by woulda, coulda, shoulda articles about the mutts. At the end of every season we get a deluge of “the season that got away” and “this upcoming season is THE one” articles. Why? The mutt fan base is huge and media outlets pander to the dumb masses. Until GT wins consistently over a long period of time, we will lag behind in coverage because of the disparity in regional fan base size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
We can't do anything about the relative size of the fanbases. But our program can do two things to help get more positive coverage (note I'm not suggesting equal or even close to the same volume). The first is to win more, and clearly our AD has GT's sights set on that and our coaches are going to do everything in their power to get us doing that. The second is to be more inviting and open and media friendly to the press than we've ever been before. Sure seems to me like our coaches are doing that as well. And it seems to be working in that we appear to be getting more positive press than I can ever remember that wasn't just due to winning. I only go back to 1984 so maybe there was a time when we had more positive press just because the program was more open and inviting. Though I can say that Bobby Cremins was very friendly to the press (and to everyone) as I saw and experienced that firsthand.

So how about we not be so consumed, or appear to be so, by the disparity in coverage and just enjoy the fact that suddenly we're getting so much more positive coverage than we've had lately.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Print media is shrinking so getting out on digital media is where it's heading. The hacks at the AJC will become less relevant in time. GC is already doing a lot of visibility things with his program and things that kids really like. I'm anxious to see what sort of team we put on the field this year.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
On the positive side, the print media are slowly dying off and all the "journalists" produced by UGA will have no jobs. The Sav Morning News probably won't be around much longer.

We need to win a few more games, raise our recruiting rankings (I know stars don't matter but it's good internet pub), be consistently relevant in the ACC championship hunt and keep pounding the social media side of the things. You can go around the main stream media now days. Start and keep catering to the younger demographic. Us old fogeys will all be gone soon.
If you think it is positive news that print media is dying, you haven't been paying attention to what is going on.

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well UGA has more fans so what do you think media outlets are going to do?
Your response is obviously right but that doesn't mean they can't write up a few articles on Tech. They only do this so we are out of sight therefore, out of mind. It's not like we don't have ANY fans in Savannah, Augusta, Macon, etc. IM79 is right though, print media is ded and ugag bias won't be as much of a problem.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
First, thank you very much for the report. For those of us outside Atlanta, it is nice to hear the good publicity that is coming now. Second, while Paul definitely did not help things, i can assure you the toxicity with the Atlanta media, at least with regard to football, has been going on for a looooooong time.

Yep, it started in 1964 after one of the dumbest decisions by any AD anywhere.

But one of our biggest shortcomings is lack of consistency after good seasons.

1967 after 1966
1971 after 1970
1986 after 1985
1991 after 1990
2010 after 2009
2015 after 2014.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The second is to be more inviting and open and media friendly to the press than we've ever been before. Sure seems to me like our coaches are doing that as well. And it seems to be working in that we appear to be getting more positive press than I can ever remember that wasn't just due to winning.
This is a sword that cuts both ways and that's why so many coaches are reluctant to get too chummy.

We are trying to be more "inviting and open" with the media. And we have succeeded (I think) so far. But we haven't played a game yet with the new staff. What if we establish a precedent for open access for the media and the team falls flat on its face (but Heaven forfend) or a major scandal (Heaven forfend on steroids) develops? Then, all of a sudden, all that media attention and the access given to media types can become a major distraction for the program. As long as a team is winning, media access is not a problem. When a team has trouble on or off the field, media access will either be suddenly restricted or the reception is different because there won't be much choice and the media will react accordingly ("What has Tech got to hide?" or "Collins treated me mean! He'll pay for that!"). Then it becomes a much more difficult task to be "inviting and open" as time goes on; the lack of previous openness becomes the story. Hence the reason why most coaches aren't as welcoming as Coach has been recently. And hence the reason why I predict that that will change.

Of course, if you have a coach like Paul, who absolutely refused to suffer fools at all, dealing with the media becomes harder; there's a sizable collection of fools in that group. Coach is a bit more warm and fuzzy so far. If we do better then predicted this season and, especially, in 2020 (sudden feeling of impending doom) then we'll be just hunky dory.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
This is a sword that cuts both ways and that's why so many coaches are reluctant to get too chummy.

We are trying to be more "inviting and open" with the media. And we have succeeded (I think) so far. But we haven't played a game yet with the new staff. What if we establish a precedent for open access for the media and the team falls flat on its face (but Heaven forfend) or a major scandal (Heaven forfend on steroids) develops? Then, all of a sudden, all that media attention and the access given to media types can become a major distraction for the program. As long as a team is winning, media access is not a problem. When a team has trouble on or off the field, media access will either be suddenly restricted or the reception is different because there won't be much choice and the media will react accordingly ("What has Tech got to hide?" or "Collins treated me mean! He'll pay for that!"). Then it becomes a much more difficult task to be "inviting and open" as time goes on; the lack of previous openness becomes the story. Hence the reason why most coaches aren't as welcoming as Coach has been recently. And hence the reason why I predict that that will change.

Of course, if you have a coach like Paul, who absolutely refused to suffer fools at all, dealing with the media becomes harder; there's a sizable collection of fools in that group. Coach is a bit more warm and fuzzy so far. If we do better then predicted this season and, especially, in 2020 (sudden feeling of impending doom) then we'll be just hunky dory.
So you’re saying what exactly? That we should keep fighting with the media like Paul did? Seems to me to be the way to get exactly what we’ve always gotten. You can’t be afraid to try a new approach if you want things to change.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
So you’re saying what exactly? That we should keep fighting with the media like Paul did? Seems to me to be the way to get exactly what we’ve always gotten. You can’t be afraid to try a new approach if you want things to change.
I don't think Paul actually fought with the media much. He had them around at practice fairly regularly and, if they weren't making fools of themselves, he wasn't short with them. But he did tick off some radio types. And, at first, Maddly.

What the perfect balance was is how things were under Dodd. He was notorious for keeping the press away form his players and assistants and handling all press relations himself. But then he always won. Which was my point: no matter how we are treating the press now that won't continue unless we win more then expected. For reasons pointed out above.

So enjoy the holiday while you can, but expect a reaction in the future.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
True, but winning carries a lot of weight, too. Look at basketball. Duke has half the enrollment and alumni base as UNC, but they still get pretty good coverage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hopefully being the equivalent of duke basketball isn’t what is required to get meaningful attention. Being the best program in a sport for over 30 years is a pretty high bar.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Can’t help it. So tired of ole Paul showing up in all topics. I know he was here things were good sometimes but it’s just so stale.
I agree.

Now, if we can only get people to stop making invidious comparisons of Paul's regime to the present staff then everything would work out just fine.

Until then, well …