Media exposure

LibertyTurns

Banned
I agree.

Now, if we can only get people to stop making invidious comparisons of Paul's regime to the present staff then everything would work out just fine.

Until then, well …
I’m starting to believe they’re like that crazy $%&## your best friend dated or was his first wife. The rest of her life she’s going to whine about how he treated her. Geez. I’d say get over it but it would be a waste of time.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Paul actually fought with the media much. He had them around at practice fairly regularly and, if they weren't making fools of themselves, he wasn't short with them. But he did tick off some radio types. And, at first, Maddly...
Well, part of the problem was Johnson's efforts to control what Bradley wrote. Johnson had his job, Bradley had his job, and sometimes Johnson thought he had both.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech has been second fiddle to uGA since the 70s in the AJC. Did not matter what the records were or which team was on a winning streak. As we move to digital news the same will hold true no matter how much Tech tries to court the media.

I enjoy reading about all of the trouble the uGa football players get in.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
On the positive side, the print media are slowly dying off and all the "journalists" produced by UGA will have no jobs. The Sav Morning News probably won't be around much longer.

We need to win a few more games, raise our recruiting rankings (I know stars don't matter but it's good internet pub), be consistently relevant in the ACC championship hunt and keep pounding the social media side of the things. You can go around the main stream media now days. Start and keep catering to the younger demographic. Us old fogeys will all be gone soon.

I teach college and always ask “How many of you read a newspaper?”

Zero.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yep, it started in 1964 after one of the dumbest decisions by any AD anywhere.

But one of our biggest shortcomings is lack of consistency after good seasons.

1967 after 1966
1971 after 1970
1986 after 1985
1991 after 1990
2010 after 2009
2015 after 2014.
I bet a bunch of u can top this.
I was on campus 65 fhru 68

Got tickets to last half of 2014 and have been season ticket holder.

No scheme overcomes lack of resources - players and $ staff. We need relentless relationship building by the fans to recruit more fans.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I teach college and always ask “How many of you read a newspaper?”

Zero.
Well, I taught college and I don't read newspapers all that religiously either. I tend to read news aggregators and discount about 60% of what I read.

But then I was trained to do that and I know how to discount. That's what so many college students haven't learned yet. If I was lucky I could make them consciously competent by the time they were seniors. Provided I told them that was what I was trying to do, that is.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Well, I taught college and I don't read newspapers all that religiously either. I tend to read news aggregators and discount about 60% of what I read.

But then I was trained to do that and I know how to discount. That's what so many college students haven't learned yet. If I was lucky I could make them consciously competent by the time they were seniors. Provided I told them that was what I was trying to do, that is.

I suppose my point is, “who cares” the AJC doesn’t cover Tech? Fewer and fewer read it. I don’t and I subscribed.

More read forums and feeds. It’s changing.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If they’d had Dr Adler they would.

I’m not joking. In 3 years, I can count on one hand the number of students that read a traditional newspaper. And that’s from a population of about 1200.

As to cable, if everyone streamed, ESPN isn’t going to pay the big rights fees in the future. Universities will have to find new revenue.

The implications in ten years are huge.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I suppose my point is, “who cares” the AJC doesn’t cover Tech? Fewer and fewer read it. I don’t and I subscribed.

Many traditional newspapers are coming to the realization that in order to survive they have to morph themselves into providing content across all the new media in bites that are comfortable for people of today to consume. The ones that make this transition better will stick around. The rest will close their doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I'll take getting the hottest hashtag on Instagram in the Atlanta metropolitan region over coverage in the Social Circle Times any day of the week.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Yes. Like this:

upload_2019-8-17_23-11-32.png

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I’m not joking. In 3 years, I can count on one hand the number of students that read a traditional newspaper. And that’s from a population of about 1200.

As to cable, if everyone streamed, ESPN isn’t going to pay the big rights fees in the future. Universities will have to find new revenue.

The implications in ten years are huge.
Agree. This generation will not be attending games or watching traditional TV. Going to get interesting.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I've always been someone that marched to a little different beat and loves the underdog. I kinda thought most GT folks were that way.

While we have good people like Stansbury and CGC working hard to put GT in the best situation, there is a reality that we are a much smaller STEM school and UGA is the flagship state university. They have way more alums and fans than we do. They graduate the media folks (both TV and print) that control the narrative. State govt is dominated by UGA folks. The vast majority of teachers in schools that have a lot of influence over our children are UGA folks. On and on.

Again, yes, GT is going to do everything within its control to improve and put ourselves in a better situation, but the above are facts and reality. For your sanity, embrace and relish the David vs Goliath, and enjoy like hell those times when David punches above his weight and puts Goliath down.
I refuse to accept our role as David Vs Goliath, and I don't think CGC thinks like that either, nor Tstan. We do have some short comings but we need to concentrate on our strengths. Nothing says we can't be competitive with the leg humpers every year in the coming years with good leadership.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I refuse to accept our role as David Vs Goliath, and I don't think CGC thinks like that either, nor Tstan. We do have some short comings but we need to concentrate on our strengths. Nothing says we can't be competitive with the leg humpers every year in the coming years with good leadership.

If you go back 20 years we’ve been competitive with them more years than not.

LibertyTurns

Banned

We can ignore the elephant in the room but economics is going to be a drag for quite some time. It cost about $6M for the latest staff transition. We’ve gone from having about $7M operational reserve to being about $4.5M in the hole by the end of the 2020 fiscal year (6/30/20). To put that into perspective, ticket sales across the enterprise surged to $14M last year for all of GT athletics.

There’s some plans to restructure debt servicing & obviously a bunch of fundraising initiatives, but if this was your company & you were trying to increase or even protect market share in a tough environment, you would not be sleeping well at night. Couple that with across the way, one of your prime competitors just INCREASED their operating budget the equivalent of 50% of what you typically operate with overall for the entire year. To characterize that as David vs Goliath could quite possibly be an understatement. It might more accurately be young child of David vs adult in his prime Goliath.