Matthew Jordan Practicing at AB

dubjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I love the idea of putting the best athletes on the field no matter what. He is a big strong guy who when he learns to block will flourish as an aback I think.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
My only concern for him would be his speed. I know we were considering putting him at WR earlier in the spring, so he must be a decent catcher, and if he can get his blocking assignments down, that would more than adequately make up for a less than stellar speed. I am not saying he isn't fast by any means, but I am sure he is no Snoddy or Cottrell.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
My only concern for him would be his speed. I know we were considering putting him at WR earlier in the spring, so he must be a decent catcher, and if he can get his blocking assignments down, that would more than adequately make up for a less than stellar speed. I am not saying he isn't fast by any means, but I am sure he is no Snoddy or Cottrell.

Speedwise he is in the company of Perkins, Hill, S Days, Godhigh, and Willis most likely, so not a litmus test for success.

gtpkt

Jolly Good Fellow

No one on the team is that fast except JT and that freshman DB who almost qualified for US nationals, lol.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess I misspoke. Looking at his size, I was thinking he would be closer to Nesbitt than maybe previous successful A-backs we have had. His Rivals page says he had 4.5 time compared to Nesbitt's 4.58. You could call is QB-bias, but if he is one of our top athletes, I say put him out there and see how it goes.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I guess I misspoke. Looking at his size, I was thinking he would be closer to Nesbitt than maybe previous successful A-backs we have had. His Rivals page says he had 4.5 time compared to Nesbitt's 4.58. You could call is QB-bias, but if he is one of our top athletes, I say put him out there and see how it goes.

Remember...he also played WR and DB in high school. He's not scared of contact. Given his receiving abilities, he could be a very dynamic AB. Guys like MJ, Clinton Lynch, Taquan Marshall, Omarhi Jarrett, Nathan Cottrell are pretty interesting from an X's and O's standpoint because they are not the traditional RB types CPJ has always recruited for AB. Those guys have a more dynamic skillset.

I'm still interested in seeing what CPJ's "master plan" is with the shift in AB types we're bringing in. Would not surprise me one bit to see him loosen the reigns on JeT's arm and increas our passes per game. You know, from 5 passes to 7 passes per game. :)

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
Remember...he also played WR and DB in high school. He's not scared of contact. Given his receiving abilities, he could be a very dynamic AB. Guys like MJ, Clinton Lynch, Taquan Marshall, Omarhi Jarrett, Nathan Cottrell are pretty interesting from an X's and O's standpoint because they are not the traditional RB types CPJ has always recruited for AB. Those guys have a more dynamic skillset.

I'm still interested in seeing what CPJ's "master plan" is with the shift in AB types we're bringing in. Would not surprise me one bit to see him loosen the reigns on JeT's arm and increas our passes per game. You know, from 5 passes to 7 passes per game. :)
I saw from the scrimmage pictures that Jarrett is at DB right now. Surprised me.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
At AB, quickness and agility is more valuable than pure speed. Synjyn Days is a great example of this. Synjyn actually has above average speed (see his run in the OB for an example), and he was a talented runner at QB. When he moved to AB, his lack of quickness and agility for the position showed. While he wasn't a bad runner, I would say his running ability at QB didn't translate to AB, thus he was more of a blocking AB than a "go to" guy you had to put the ball in their hands....like Orwin, Godhigh, and what Snoddy was becoming before his injury.

It will be interesting to see how MJ develops at AB. Will he be more Syjnyn or Dennis Andrews (he actually looked good at QB himself). Let's keep in mind, the move to AB for MJ isn't permanent. He's still our #3 QB.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At AB, quickness and agility is more valuable than pure speed. Synjyn Days is a great example of this. Synjyn actually has above average speed (see his run in the OB for an example), and he was a talented runner at QB. When he moved to AB, his lack of quickness and agility for the position showed. While he wasn't a bad runner, I would say his running ability at QB didn't translate to AB, thus he was more of a blocking AB than a "go to" guy you had to put the ball in their hands....like Orwin, Godhigh, and what Snoddy was becoming before his injury.

It will be interesting to see how MJ develops at AB. Will he be more Syjnyn or Dennis Andrews (he actually looked good at QB himself). Let's keep in mind, the move to AB for MJ isn't permanent. He's still our #3 QB.
At AB, you have to be able to turn east-west into north-south naturally with ease. It is not for everybody.

Last edited:

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think the picture you saw was Lammont Simmons. They're both number 36.

Looks more like a "20" number, most likely Wigley 26 but could be Z Allen 21, M Davis 22, L Griffin 27, or J Selembo 29. Don't think it is O Jarrett or L Simmons.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think this is right. I used to have this argument on another blog all the time. CPJ is not against passing per say. It is just that he is only interested in expanding the play book at the players master more skills. When people would say, "he should pass more," it used to drive me nuts. He will never just pass for passing's sake, especially if it has little chance of being successful.

His ultimate goal is to have an offense that can do whatever it needs to do on a given down to take advantage of what the offense is giving up. I think some of those big passing days Hawaii had when he was out there coaching had nothing to do with abandoning the run and every thing to do with taking advantage of mismatches. Tech looked a lot more lethal last season because it was close to being able to do whatever it needed to on a given play to get the yardage.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I think this is right. I used to have this argument on another blog all the time. CPJ is not against passing per say. It is just that he is only interested in expanding the play book at the players master more skills. When people would say, "he should pass more," it used to drive me nuts. He will never just pass for passing's sake, especially if it has little chance of being successful.

His ultimate goal is to have an offense that can do whatever it needs to do on a given down to take advantage of what the offense is giving up. I think some of those big passing days Hawaii had when he was out there coaching had nothing to do with abandoning the run and every thing to do with taking advantage of mismatches. Tech looked a lot more lethal last season because it was close to being able to do whatever it needed to on a given play to get the yardage.

You are so right! If you look at his playbook with various teams over the years you come to understand he's yet to install every facet at Tech. The more JeT builds his grasp and understanding the more CPJ will give him the options (no pun intended). His offense can be as multiple as any out there, he just need to have the QB who understands it as well as he does! He has that in JeT and it's going to be more and more fun to watch!