Marquette Game Thread

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Jokers coming out of the woodworks...LOL

Although we should won easily, I was scared of em. I had a feeling someone was going to go off from 3 and boy did he ever. I'm not going to pin this on the refs but a few of their calls were just bad.

MGH's was a horrid call and put him on the bench for the remainder of the first half. We were beginning to find a rhythm and that set us back.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I thought it was going to be Burton but I posted both here and on Scout that against that team our perimeter defense was a huge concern. But I thought we would still win.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't get how we let him score 30+. It seems they would of figured out that hes a shooter. Ya he made one or two tough shots but a lot of them were very good/clean looks.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't get how we let him score 30+. It seems they would of figured out that hes a shooter. Ya he made one or two tough shots but a lot of them were very good/clean looks.

Disagree..he had some clean looks but he made several shots with a hand in his face.

You could put him the gym by himself and he would doing good to knock down 8/14

He wasn't known as a sharpshooter coming into the game.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Nice post @SecretAgentBuzz ..

Love how all the negative Nancy's came out last night. Tough loss and a game we definitely should have won, but those of saying theyre done should simply stop watching now. If you're a GT fan, how do you give up on your team. Nothing I hate worse than that ****.

Q had a terrible shooting night, and we weren't able to do much against the zone otherwise. Carlino could have put on a blindfold and still made em. That dude was avg 8 ppg going in and he went off for 30 +.

There's your ball game.
I would agree with you on Carlino shooting but then we LET him get the ball FOUR times in a row at end of game--that is coaching or blatant stupidity

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Disagree..he had some clean looks but he made several shots with a hand in his face.

You could put him the gym by himself and he would doing good to knock down 8/14

He wasn't known as a sharpshooter coming into the game.
He would easily make 8 of 14 in a gym by himself haha and the guy could shoot you could tell by his form.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I had some disagreement that Jorgenson looked better last year pre-injury than this year. I think we're starting to see it play out. He's just not as fluid and smooth as he was last season. It's obvious he's not 100% right now...not his fault, kid is a gamer. He forces his passes a little too much. TG was never going to be scoring PG, his game was as a facilitator...looking for opportunities for teammates and giving what the defense gave him for his chances. I'm not disappointed his offense isn't there yet...his shots will start falling eventually. But he needs to be more efficient on the ball if he's not scoring more.

Also, Heath right now is the better PG IMO. Dude had 7 assists and 1 TO last night. On the season he has 25 assists and 2 TOs. Think about that for a second...I don't care that we haven't played the strongest competition. That's a sign he's taking care of the ball and doing his job of getting his teammates the ball in positions to score. He's averaging 6pts/6ast/0.5 TO a game...I'd like to see his scoring go closer to 10 pts per game, but it's hard to quibble with what's he's doing as PG.

I wish Tadric's situational awareness was a little better, but his ability to create offense is going to be special. His shots are starting to fall. He just needs to realize he doesn't need to jack a 3 within the first pass of a possession when our guys are still in transition. I don't think you get that green light until you prove you're a better 3 point shooter.

Last night was disappointing...but we could have won the game with better defense. No way a guy averaging like 8 points a game should score 37 points...most of which were behind the arc. That's not acceptable.

To be honest, I was fine with our offense last night for the most part. Guys could have taken better shots, but if they fall you don't argue with it. Perimeter defense really let us down, and that was what did us in.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree..like the above font mentioned, we could have made better decisions at times, but I do not think offensive scheme was the problem last night (we scored 70 pts). Generally, it seemed like we got good looks but our best shooter (Q) had an off night.

Perimeter defense is a HUGE weakness for this team. Not just letting guys like Carlino get open looks, but also the dribble penatration is a killer.

The refs were calling some tickey tack fouls in the first half. Losing Marcus really hurt. Hes our best perimeter defender by far. When the perimeter D is slack, you will see a lot of fouls called. Look at the free throw differential last night. Marquette was in the double-bonus with 10-12 mins left in the game.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Whoa whoa whoa. OK with our offense last night? I was watching and on chat and I was annoying myself with how many times I wrote

"5 guys standing still"

We had zero clue how to beat the most commonly played zone in basketball history. I have seen Maine HS teams break the zone more efficiently

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Whoa whoa whoa. OK with our offense last night? I was watching and on chat and I was annoying myself with how many times I wrote

"5 guys standing still"

We had zero clue how to beat the most commonly played zone in basketball history. I have seen Maine HS teams break the zone more efficiently
Amen brother.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
LOL at people who didn't like the offense last night. You guys must not have paid attention to CBG's offense the past few years. That is a better offensive showing that 75% of the games CBG has coached during his GT tenure. What exactly are you expecting at this point? Still left a lot to be desired, but at least it wasn't the root canal of an offense we've had to deal with. Like I said in my post, our defense let us down last night.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Just got back from being out of the country since last weekend. Delta's incompetence caused me to miss all but the last 12 minutes. Caught the first part of the game on the radio but impossible to form an impression.

Just wanted to get one thought in on the final 12 min before Rider tips in a few min... GT was the better offensive team during that time. Defensively our guards are a liability. Bolden showed little instincts on defending Carlino. Jorg looked timid trying to defend the 2-on-1 break twice to the point where he may as well have walked off the court. Tadric is going through normal freshman growing pains.

Overall though, GT was the better team at this time. I consider yesterday's game to be an upset, which at least compared to prior years is an improvement. Looking forward to seeing a more assertive effort tonight. I think one loss will allow the team to refocus and put forward a more telling effort tonight.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Marquette is well coached. Thats what a well coached team looks like. They hide their glaring deficiencies and play to their strength and they execute. Im watching them beat UT right now.

Having a coach who has a clue makes Marquette better than expected.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Marquette is well coached. Thats what a well coached team looks like. They hide their glaring deficiencies and play to their strength and they execute. Im watching them beat UT right now.

Agree completely. I don't know if Wojo would have come to Tech (or any ACC school) while Coach K was still at Duke, but he was available three years ago.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree completely. I don't know if Wojo would have come to Tech (or any ACC school) while Coach K was still at Duke, but he was available three years ago.
3 years ago when someone who didn't care about college hoops was making the hire.

You want to not be happy about BG getting hired? That's fair.

We don't gameplan & execute correctly and want to blame BG? Absolutely appropriate.

To the extent we had better options for the hire, there will always be only one person to blame. The clown in my profile pic.

I wish Marquette continued success, as it improves our SOS, to the extent it matters.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer

Marquette actually ended up having a pretty good tournament. Maybe they're turning a corner or maybe we hit them during a hot run, but in Orlando they were not the same team that got embarrassed by Omaha