Marquette Game Thread

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Marquette got into early foul trouble and Omaha shot the lights out. 41% on 3-point shots and 26-30 from the line. Hell, they were 57% from the field, which including a lot of points in the paint.

Basketball is more about match-ups than people realize and Omaha was a tough in that regard for Marquette. We may actually be a better match-up for them. Can't wait, but I think this has the potential to be tough game.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree this will be a tough game because Marquette's strength is their guards. I mean, I think almost every game will be tough.

I don't have the first clue on how to gameplan for a hoops game, but I think I'd dump it inside as much as possible to start and get their players in foul trouble. With a small lineup, Cox/Mitchell/Sampson should have a good chance to finish thru contact and, even if they miss their FTs, create foul trouble, which will hopefully translate to more tentative play by their perimeter.

Very important game for us.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just thought it might be a good idea to put together a quick overview of Marquette for those us that aren't too familiar with them. They will be coming off of back-to-back losses (the last one an embarrassment) so I expect we will get their best effort.
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Name Ht./Wt. Year Hometown (High School)
1 Duane Wilson 6-2/185 G RS FR Milwaukee, Wis. (Dominican HS)
2 John Dawson 6-2/205 G SO Clovis, N.M. (Clovis HS)
5 Sandy Cohen, III 6-6/180 F FR Seymour, Wis. (Seymour HS)
10 Juan Anderson 6-6/215 F SR Oakland, Calif. (Castro Valley HS)
12 Derrick Wilson 6-1/210 G SR Anchorage, Alaska (The Hotchkiss School)
13 Matt Carlino 6-2/175 G GS Phoenix, Ariz. (Bloomington South HS)
22 Wally Ellenson 6-6/210 G JR Rice Lake, Wis. (Rice Lake HS)
23 Jajuan Johnson 6-5/200 G SO Memphis, Tenn. (Southwind HS)
25 Steve Taylor, Jr. 6-7/240 F JR Chicago, Ill. (Simeon HS)
30 Deonte Burton 6-4/240 G/F SO Milwaukee, Wis. (Vincent HS)
40 Luke Fischer 6-11/245 C SO Germantown, Wis. (Germantown HS)

Marquette Overview

Marquette was picked to finish No. 7 in the 10-team Big East, according to the preseason coaches poll. The Golden Eagles were tied for seventh with Butler with 29 points. Villanova (81 points) is the conference favorite. ... Marquette opened its season with a 79-63 win over UT Martin. Sophomore forward Jajuan Johnson, who scored 20 points, led the way in a game in which Marquette had four scorers reach double figures. ...Marquette has now dropped back-to-back to Ohio State (74-63) and a shocker to Nebraska Omaha (97-89)

Last edited:

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Few random thoughts:

- Definite size advantage up front for GT. We should be able to dominate pts. in the paint and the boards.
- What tempo do we play at? If we push, we play to their strength. I bet we see a lot of Q at the Four on Thursday.
- I suspect that our guards hold their own, but really nice test for them. We'll see this level of talented backcourts in the ACC nightly.
- Derrick Wilson was recruited by GT for a while. CPH liked him. He would have likely committed with any offer.

Go Jackets!!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I predict we play Marquette, MSU, and Tennessee in Orlando. The Vols are a mess right now and we could catch Santa Clara instead.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Note: Luke Fischer, their 6-11 center, won't be eligible for the our game, leaving them with a 6-7 center and a 6-6 lean PF and no more effective height than that. This is where, despite their guards, we utilize Mitchell and Cox and let them try to dominate the middle.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A few thoughts.
First, Luke Fischer is not eligible yet (Dec 14) as a transfer from Indiana, so they are really small.
They basically play with Steve Taylor Jr in the middle and then surround him with 2 SF and 2 guards. Anderson has been effective as an undersized 4.
Wojo is bringing a couple of former starters off the bench.
The team that imposes their style of play wins this game.
I agree this is a game where Q could see significant time at the 4.
They are getting really good play out of BYU transfer Carlino- 18/4 Ast/TO
They like to shoot threes so our perimeter defense needs to tighten up.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A couple of other notes.
They have struggled defensively big time so far. They have one of the worst eFG numbers in the country and are currently allowing opponents to shoot 56% from the floor and 42% from 3 while being outrebounded by almost 10 per game. They are suffering from a bad combination of being unable to prevent dribble penetration and not having any rim protectors.

Their opponents so far have a strong offensive rebound rate (24 off rebounds vs Marquettes 46 defensive rebounds.)

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If that is the case, then I am sure that we are the last thing that they want to see. They'll need some treatment after doing battle with Chuck and Bear in the paint.

Those dudes are physical in the paint and should have a field day against their small front line. I suspect that they will be wearing down a path to the charity stripe. Maybe we can shoot north of 40% this game.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I expect us to make it ugly and pound them inside. We get them I to foul trouble they are effed.

One thing that worries me that wasn't mentioned.

Deonte Burton hasn't had a big game yet but has been in double figures 2 out of 3. He was a guy I thought may provide them with some scoring coming into the year after a strong finish to last year. Don't sleep on him.

GT 67 Marq. 59

Cox and Chuck both get double doubles.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Marquette is a young team. I think we should be able to control the boards and get second chances. Omaha and Ohio State are really good shooting teams who had great nights against Marquette.

The one bit of video I saw of the Ohio State game had their guards helping out in the paint a lot, which left them vulnerable to inside out plays. Ohio State was killing them with 3-point shots. In the second half, MU adjusted, but OSU shifted to an inside game and was too talented. The Buckeyes are good.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Watched Nova boatrace VCU once their shots started falling in the 2nd half. They did an outstanding job breaking that press an although they didn't have many, Nova's interior players were strong & tough.

Watching this Marquette game and they just referenced the size of Marquette. What? I wouldn't have even thought NJIT is D-1. Apparently, they are though.

GT_ATL

Georgia Tech Fan
Marquette is an absolute must-win at this point. We need to be able to soundly beat the dregs of the power conference teams. Throw Northwestern in that bucket too in a couple weeks.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Marquette is an absolute must-win at this point. We need to be able to soundly beat the dregs of the power conference teams. Throw Northwestern in that bucket too in a couple weeks.
I don't know about soundly beating them, but I agree that with Marquette's weak performances, this becomes a must win on par with Georgia. The UGA game set the tone for the season. Winning the Marquette game will show that we can limit potential lapses in concentration against opponents we should beat.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Watched the 2nd half of the Marquette/NJIT game last night, and I'm now also firmly in this camp. We must beat Marquette, and I think that we will if we come out and play with focus from the start. That seemed to be the message from BG after the IPFW game. Play with the same level of focus that we played with against UGA.

From the looks of it, Marquette is just bad! Coming into last night, NJIT was 418 in the most recent Massey Index (MQ was 117), and they came within a few late buckets from pulling the upset. This coming off of the hills of an upset loss to Nebraska Omaha on their homecourt. You'd have thought that Marquette came out blazing after that.. Nope.. another poor showing.

They have no inside game (got outrebounded by NJIT 37-38). Chuck and Demarco should have a monster game. Pea was right in that they both might have a double-double in this game if they stay out of foul trouble. Juan Anderson is a pretty solid player for Quette, but I think that we stick Marcus on him and call it a day. We'll certainly need to tighten up our perimeter defense as their guards are very good at getting by their man.

From what I could gather that seemed to be their game plan on offense = penetrate and look for a lay-up or foul (they went to the line 34 times last night) or kick it out to the guy standing at the 3 pt line. Unless they shoot an ungodly percentage from 3 tomorrow night, I think that we should win this one with a little breathing room (6-10 points).