Marquette Game Thread

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Watched some of the game. They're lack of height is killing them. NJIT is not a good team. We should beat Marquette and advance to...gulp...Michigan St.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Few random thoughts:

- Definite size advantage up front for GT. We should be able to dominate pts. in the paint and the boards.

Go Jackets!!

Might as well go ahead and apologize in advance for all of the post, but its slow this week in the office, and although there is a big football game this week, I'm full bore on hoops on now. As I mentioned yesterday, I really think that this Marquette game is a big one for us, and think that it would give us a big shot of confidence. Even if the Golden Eagles seem to be down a bit this year.

With that said, I've been pouring over the box scores in regards to how we match-up. It has already mentioned previously that we should own them inside, but according to the numbers, I think that our advantage in the paint is bigger than most think. In each game this year, Marquette has gotten outrebounded:

- UT Martin: 34 - 25
- Ohio State: 26 - 23
- Nebraska Omaha: 40 - 24 (damn near doubled them up)
- NJIT: 37 - 36

Also, take a look at the points in the paint allowed by Marquette:

- UT Martin = 26
- Ohio State = 42
- Omaha = 34
- NJIT = 26

Conversely, here are the number of points we have scored in the paint each game:

- UGA = 36
- Bama A&M = 40
- IPFW = 42

In short, our big men must be licking their chops! Don't eat too much turkey guys because you should feast on the Golden Eagles interior!!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I watched the entire first half and some of the second half of that game last night. if GT plays hard they should win by double digits imo.
Marquette is really hurting in the transition from Buzz to Wojo. They lost most of their productive players as well as most of their recruiting class. Most people also forget that Marquette did not have a good last year under Buzz.
They have no size. Taylor is 6'7, 240, but is a below the basket player. I expect him to struggle against Cox.
Offensively they have a couple of guys that can shoot threes if you leave them open and Anderson is a good player. Not only are they not tall, they aren't very big. Duane Wilson and Sandy Cohen both look almost rail thin.

Defensively they want to play like Duke with extended pressure out on the guards but they lack the size, athleticism and skill of Duke. Whenever NJIT took care of the ball they were getting easy looks as once you get past the perimeter pressure they have no size in the back end to protect the rim. NJIT shot almost 60% in the first half because their shots were mostly dunks, short jumpers or wide open threes. At one point in the first half NJIT was up 6 even though they had 9 TO to 1 for Marquette.
NJIT was 1-3 coming in and almost came out with a win.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good points Red.. that is the one thing that I remember asking myself last night... Will our guards be able to get into the lane and finish. Thus far in the young season, Josh and Travis have been very good about getting into the lane and creating easy baskets for others. I'd like to see them finish more tomorrow night. Could be a great opportunity for Tadric to have a big game as their style of defense sort of plays into his game.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
yep,
THIS is exactly the type of game Tech/Greg needs to show improvement of program..It probably won't be pretty but we should be able to bully them enough.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Hive said initial line was GT + 2.5. If it went from GT +2.5 to GT -4.5, that means the sharps pounded the Yellow Jackets. I will refrain from placing a wager, but I like us to win by 7 - 8 points

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Chat will be open for anyone interested, I won't be able to make it but if anyone wants to post the option is there.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Likely starting closer to 9. Sparty/Rider is at 630. Assuming 2 hours and subsequent warmups, 9PM.

I'll probably be in chat once I get home.