Marquette Game Thread

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
We just are not good at bball anymore! And we haven't been for a while. And GT just keeps on hanging on to Gregory.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Got home and just caught up to actual live play.

Carlino has been all but lights out for Marquette.

With 11.5 left we still have a chance to tie with a three.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I believe MGH was clearly fouled at the top of the key and he was trying to finish through to get the and 1. Marquette should have fouled up 3. Refs called nothing for GT. Marquette traveled nearly every time a guard caught the ball.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I believe MGH was clearly fouled at the top of the key and he was trying to finish through to get the and 1. Marquette should have fouled up 3. Refs called nothing for GT. Marquette traveled nearly every time a guard caught the ball.
No excuse for our offense. Passing the ball around the perimeter and hoping for an offensive rebound isn't an offense.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
WTH was MGH thinking? Even the players on the floor were looking at him in disbelief
I think he thought he was gonna get bailed out with an And1, but refs swallowed whistles.

This team certainly had the talent to beat Marquette, but there was a really obvious game plan heading in to this game and it was either ignored or not even mapped out.

I hope this serves as a wake-up call and the disappointment gets them hungry to improve. I got nothing else on this game.

GT_ATL

Georgia Tech Fan
This game is the turning point for me in terms of support for Gregory. There was marginal improvement from year 1 to year 2 and there has been absolutely zero since then. Four years in, and we're still getting manhandled by the dregs of the power conferences. I don't think I could name 5 worse power conference programs- Northwestern, Texas Tech, maybe Oregon State or something like that? We've shown zero ability to reliably beat anyone other than Georgia and the cupcakes in non conference. Four years in, and we aren't even a threat to contend for an NIT bid.

I'm done watching GT basketball until they show me some reason to believe that they're worth watching.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand how hard it could be to post up and get it down to a big man, or to have a guard drive to the bucket and then push it outside. Marquette was a lot more fun to watch on offense even though I felt like we were the more talented team.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
That was the ugliest basketball I have watched. It was Hewitt-esque in its ugliness.

Given how bad Marquette is, that says tons about us. Whether it is because Gregory and staff cannot recruit, or cannot coach, I am not smart enough to know. But either is an indictment of this regime.

I gave up my season tickets in basketball and did not renew for this year. I am SO glad now that I made that choice. This year is going to be ugly!

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
That was certainly a frustrating and disappointing loss. Here are some random observations:

-We are still not a very good shooting team. Marquette played to our weakness with their zone, and other teams will do the same. We have got to get the ball in the hands of our shooters (more screens off the ball maybe) with an opportunity to shoot. And by shooters, I mean Stephens. And maybe Bolden sometimes. Man, we need some shooters.
-I don't know why, but we had very low intensity on defense for most of the game. Losing our man in traffic, not knowing who we are supposed to guard, and not staying in front of our man...it was ugly. We cannot play defense like that and expect to win in the ACC. That HAS to get better.
-Their guy went off. I mean, he absolutely exploded and made a lot of difficult shots. Otherwise, the rest of their team was kinda "meh," and they are probably a middle-of-the-road team. Even with crazy-shooter guy, we still should have been able to beat them.
-Tadric looks good--instant offense of the bench, which we desperately need. He played well, and his shots were falling today. If we are going to be any good this year, it will be because of his continued improvement.
-Coach Wojo must have worked some "Coach K" magic on the refs. They called a lot of ticky-tack fouls and were very inconsistent. We didn't lose because of them, but they certainly weren't giving us any help.
-When we can't get the ball inside to our big guys (especially when they have the height advantage like they did last night), we are in BIG trouble.
-Heath continues to impress with another night of 6:1 Assists to Turnovers. He has been a pleasant surprise, while Jorgenson has not looked as good this year (the knee, maybe?).

Bottom line is that we need to play with more intensity on defense and get the ball inside on offense (or find some shooters). This was a missed opportunity for a decent win and a shot at MSU. The season is still young and those of you who are "giving up on Gregory and this team" might find yourself eating crow later. Besides, this is our team, why would we ever "give up" on them? I cheered for even the ugliest of Hewitt's teams, so I can certainly cheer for these guys. Go jackets!

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice post @SecretAgentBuzz ..

Love how all the negative Nancy's came out last night. Tough loss and a game we definitely should have won, but those of saying theyre done should simply stop watching now. If you're a GT fan, how do you give up on your team. Nothing I hate worse than that ****.

Q had a terrible shooting night, and we weren't able to do much against the zone otherwise. Carlino could have put on a blindfold and still made em. That dude was avg 8 ppg going in and he went off for 30 +.

There's your ball game.